New Bike Day!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by littlewave, Jul 5, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    :whistling::whistling:

3580r4.jpg

Mikie, Stkx66, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Are you gonna sell your Smash soon?

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  3. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    No, definitely not. It's still the better bike for some of the places I ride, and want to ride. I'm just seeing myself reaching for the Spur more than I anticipated.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You're 3rd in line. I think he had two offers yesterday.

5. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Haha! No thanks. I have a Smash with what feels like a 40’ tall BB.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    You gotta hit up @burt and company if you're gonna keep the Smash from the gulag.

7. clydes001

clydes001 Member

Name:
    clyde
    Current Bike:
    cannondale m400 (classic)
    My son today with his brand new, 2021 Kona Big Honzo! We had a great experience with the Mob Shop in Ojai.

I am thrilled for him, and I am happy that he’s worked so hard to save for it.

DBDAB6BD-A9E0-46D6-AB17-3DFC2D093873.jpeg

Fueledbyex8, Faust29, bvader and 20 others like this.
  8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Congrats to you the kido. Kona makes great bikes. I visited the Mob Shop a couple years back and really liked the atmosphere and the staff were all very friendly and knowledgeable.:thumbsup:

9. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    FD392575-1502-4460-AA21-874386D736E1.jpeg New to me roadie. I’ve been thinking about a roadie for a bit, mostly to ride on those days when the trails are too muddy but the roads are dry. Plus I wanted to get into those sexy body suits like @DangerDirtyD. I happened to be talking to a buddy of mine and found out he was thinning out his awesome quiver and, voila, we had a deal. I haven’t ridden a roadie in more than 25 years but it was awesome to go biking through half of OC on a Sunday morning. Cervelo R5CA.

Faust29, CBone, Danmtchl and 13 others like this.
  10. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Way to go young man!

Faust29, Danmtchl, clydes001 and 4 others like this.
  11. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I can’t wait to see your new outfit!

Faust29, Danmtchl, clydes001 and 3 others like this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Right down to the shoes!!!

Nice find! Nothin' wrong with having a road bike!

Faust29, Danmtchl, Redman and 3 others like this.
  13. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    As @Sasquatch9billion pointed out, forgot to throw the new purchase up here. YT Izzo Pro Race picked up a few weeks ago. Swapped the seat out for one of mine and the Forekaster on the front was changed to a DHF straight away, the Forekaster on the back is fine for our dry conditions. Had a problem with the twist-loc which had me worried at first but at some point YT have changed the spec on the shock and they now push to lock rather than the other way round. Its all sorted though with the replacement working well. Just finished shortening the cables today, literally took over 2 feet off. Front end looks much cleaner now but I'm going to look round for some sort of cable wrap to tidy it up a bit more I think. I'm going to have a look at putting a Luftkappe on it once the bank balance recovers and the financial controller (missus) starts talking to me again.
    Bikes taken a little bit to get used to. The big wheels felt pretty ungainly to start with and I still need to work on the suspension tune. I am amazed at how much harder I can push it compared to the old 26er, with a bit of egging on from @Danimal I picked up a KOM in Whiting on Tuesday. A happy little camper for now!
    YT Izzo.jpg

Fueledbyex8, Faust29, Mikie and 23 others like this.
  14. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Wow, YT makes a nice looking bike! I'd be on a 27.5 Jeffsy if they hadn't made that damn e-bike mtn. bike.
    Congrats!!!

15. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Nice looking rig Simon. Congrats!

Mikie, Faust29, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  16. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Nice looking bike Simon! Give us an update after you get her all dailed in. I was looking at the Izzo and Ripley as well.

Mikie, Faust29, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Fantastic looking bike!

Faust29, Mikie, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  18. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Heee! Ima gonna get to see it in a little more than a week! Will you let me ride it a little!?

Faust29, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Time to get over that? Or still gonna hold on to that anger for a couple more years?

Nice bike @Lost Kiwi! Very different from your other two scooters. Glad you are digging it!

Fueledbyex8, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  20. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    No anger here. But I'm certainly happy to take my business elsewhere when I don't agree with a company's practices.
    I stopped buying Macs years ago, I don't shop at WalMart or Amazon. I only buy American made or "ethically produced," clothing.
    I just believe consumers have power when it comes to how they spend their money.

Fueledbyex8, Faust29, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I admire this approach. I am either too lazy or too selfish to stick to such idealism.

Fueledbyex8, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  22. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Of course! But I ain't swapping with you at the bottom of that peak your planning on making us ride up :p

23. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Apologies for the long read but this is a bit of catharsis for me... and its is about me ... not trying to change anyone's perspective :)

Punk Rock Saved My Life
    .... Sublime

After a fall and a trip to Whistler 5 years ago...I bought the Bronson
    It changed what I rode and how I Rode It...
    About 2 years after a short chat with Tani I decided to give flats a try.
    They changed what I rode and how I Rode It... the Bike and I are one.
    Then earlier this year ... Covid funk, parks closed etc.. and I decided to get my wife a bike.

A Hardtail Saved My Life... Me

I bought @SnakeCharmer Vassago .... it was supposed to be and still is my wife's bike... but I fell in love with it and rode it *everywhere* all sorts of new Rock-n-Road rides. I put ~1500 miles on it in 6 months. It has made me a better rider... strengthened my core , made me less full squish lazy... want to be in tune with your bike? ride a Hard Tail in some roughs with flats ... instant feedback.

Pfffft Gravel bike I ride this bike to the Dirt then ride real dirt dirt ... then ride home... awesome!

and BTW that steel frame rides amazeballs!!!!

It was a new lease on life totally refreshing! alas it is my wifes bike at some point and it is a tad to small for me.

So a plan was formed in me head...
    I converted my long time, hanging on the wall Kona Ti Raijin ~22LB 69.5deg HA, 120mm Travel SS race machine (which I set my CC PRs)

IMG_20200912_094253.jpg

into This... a whole new HT bike / experience... Wowza!
    PXL_20201009_004329353.jpg

About $2K in conversion but the most parts important were the 3 x $0.17 little steel washers to align the rear brake... that stopped me dead in my tracks.. on /... off... on... off... even ordered a new set of dropouts from Kona, NOPE... and of course actually after I talked to a friend at a bike shop.. "Oh we do that all the time"

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200912174811050_COVER.jpg

Couple comments on the parts

The final piece / push was when @Grego built up his with the Works 2.0... and reported back he liked it and it did not creak . He is right they are amazing... British precision engineering and like him it was free as I paid in this weird thing call Pounds £ which I have plenty of. This plus the 130 Pike puts me at about / slightly less than 67 Deg... sweet!

Works is awesome.

The new 12 Speed Drivetrain, not quite as "soft/smooth" as my XX1 but it is nails, shifts with command, easy to install / tune. and for $350 for Cassette, Der, Shifter, Cable and Chain and Weight... must by BY FAR the best 12 speed / $$$ out there. I bought an OEM set... it's real ;)

The new Pike Ultimate... don't take my word take @herzalot but easily the best OOTB fork experience I have had to date.

And finally OneUp bars, I thought NextR were it... they are now firmly in 2nd place, the OneUps are just weee bit more compliant which I can say I *can* feel on the HT.

During Pandemic took a while for Colorado Cyclist to get to the wheels, fine... I chose the Hope because they were one of the few that offered 142x12 with the Shimano uSpline.

I have already put a few rides... So Fun!!! and a few PRs... so 1 good thing came out of 2020! Rides Great FAST on the SCST singletracks... I have enven caught some air! I think the rear triangle is a bit less compliant than the Vassago... but I may need to adjust tire pressure... the seat stays are straight on the Kona, curved on the Vassago.

Shout out to Pro Bike Supply for installing the Headset, and sourcing, Fork and OneUp , pedals... That's Niiice...

Parts:
    • 3 x $0.17 Washers
    • Kona Sliding Dropout (2 sets)
    • 142x12 Maxel
    • Works 2.0 deg Headset
    • 130mm Pike Ultimate with RCT3
    • Shimano XT 1x12 cassette, shifter, der, chain
    • One Up Bars
    • Kona 40mm Stem
    • Bike Yoke Triggy
    • New Rotors
    • Wheels Colorado Cyclist :
    • Hope 4 142x12 uSpline,
    • Front 100x15mm
    • DT XM 481 30mm IW
    • Front Bonty 29 x 2.4 SE4
    • Rear Maxxis 20 x 2.4 Rekon
    • WTB Silverado Saddle(Seueaks)
    • Oury Grips / W Custom clamps :)
    • Coming Absolute Black Oval
    • 32 will help space chain line

Existing:
    • Frame, Cranks, Dropper and Brakes:

IMG_20200912_083502.jpg

PXL_20201016_234847725.jpg

The B will still get some love but I like this 2 quiver Fun HT + Full B Squish when needed.

24. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    This is great to read! Go get some miles on that now. How does Ti compare to steel, if you can isolate that variable. Love the grip clamps!

Mikie, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  25. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Excellent, good for him for saving for it and good for you for instilling that discipline! Honzo's a great bike.

Mikie, Danmtchl, clydes001 and 3 others like this.
  26. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I have a about 100 Miles on it .. The Ti feels great I put about 900miles on it as a SS... this bike is fast / faster now in the STs... strangely I am not completely convinced that that Steel Vassago given the bit more modern Geo is not a little more comfy, also I think the new DT SWISS rims are pretty stiff (unlike the recent @herzalot malaise) ... but I need to ride it more to really tell. I have already set a PR on one of my Solid Climbs plus. one of my Descent + Climb Enduros... I am waiting for the new AB Oval to show up...

The other thing the BB is about / maybe 10mm to 1/2" higher so I feel a tiny bit higher but it has not bothered my, I actually appreciated it on a medium size lip / drop the other day.

It is definitely going to get a lot of miles.

Mikie, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  27. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Hard Tail Party!
    Congrats to Him!

Mikie, Danmtchl, clydes001 and 3 others like this.
  28. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Looks like a fun ride! I was wondering why you said I had something to do with the build a few weeks ago. Thought you were going to magic gear or something. Still digging the headset. Still no creaks or issues since installed. Just better DH handling. Congrats on the newish bike all around!

Mikie, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Now I get why David went with the Stooge... Enduro Training. :eek: :inlove:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-...rigid-stooge-cycles-mk4-enduro-race-bike.html

p5pb19644716.jpg

Mikie, Grassblade23, scan and 7 others like this.
  30. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Danmtchl, SnakeCharmer, Mikie and 9 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?