Never say " this is our last ride down" when riding at Snow Summit lol

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by R Trujillo, Jun 15, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. R Trujillo

R Trujillo Member

Name:
    Richard Trujllo
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Yes I've warned by buddies but one of them had to say it this past Saturday. "ok guys this will be our last run of the day"... and of course after a fun day of riding at Snow Summit with everyone staying on two wheels, one of us had to go down on the "Last run". Jinxed!

I was on West Ridge coming up on a slower rider, rather than focus on my line i was thinking about where i was going to pass him. Next thing i know, I'm too far inside to catch one of the paver berms and my front tire washes out, SLAMMING my elbow into the pavers. To make it worse, It was so steep that i couldn't stop myself from sliding all the way down to the bottom of the berm.

After getting up my elbow was killing me, I look at my buddy and he looks at my elbow and turns green. I had a huge gash that was almost a 1/4" deep. What's crazy is that,yes I had a good set of TLD 5500 Elbow guards on but I think the impact forced it down.

I went to first aid and the medic there said I had a nice "flapper" and that i would have to go to the hospital for stitches. Once at urgent care they gave me 8 stitches to close it up. Other than the stitches i had a few bruises and scrapes but over all ok.

Unless requested i won't share the gory picture before it was stitched up but this one isn't much better lol.

stitches_zpsid4y539a.jpg

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Better than on your first run. Thanks for sharing. Glad the joint (pun) wasn't damaged.

kioti, Cornholio, rossage and 3 others like this.
  3. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Ouuchhh hope you heal soon...we need to ride together @R Trujillo

R Trujillo and Mikie like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yuck. Sorry to hear. And yes - it's OK to say "This will be our 2nd to last run down," then wink.

I use the TLD pads you mention for my XC rides because they take the initial impact, but I use hard shell pads when lift or shuttle assisted to minimize the likelihood of the pad sliding down. Especially when there are walls of pavers involved.

Heal up quick @R Trujillo . Chicks dig scars.

R Trujillo likes this.
  5. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Dang. NEVER SAY LAST ...... for anything. heal up soon

R Trujillo, kioti and ridinrox like this.
  6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Damn!!

I've noticed an increase of noobs at SS this season. I love to see people pushing their skill level just DON'T F*IN STOP ON THE PAVERS!!

I had a rider do that right in front of me. He was slowing down so I followed suit, then he STOPPED, started sliding, by that time I was already engaged in the turn, drove my bike into the soft dirt, yelled "f*ck me" (that's my go-to expression when things look sketchy...LOL) and held my line.

He apologized as I passed him but from now on when riders look sketchy, I'm stopping and giving them plenty of room.

Here's to healing up ... Salude

7. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Ouch! Could've been worse and now you have a battle scar and a story to go with it.

Am I the only one who wants to see the before stitches picture?

R Trujillo, rossage and ridinrox like this.
  8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thanks for the photo. Just in time for breakfast! :gag:

A ski buddy of mine did that "last run" thing. Had to go off a jump 'one more time.' Ended up crashing and sliding head first down Powder Bowl at Mammoth as the Ski Patrol rode the lift overhead on their way to sweep the mountain. Quite entertaining. From then on.. "One last run" means.. "We're done." :thumbsup:

R Trujillo likes this.
  9. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    They've gotta open up their green trail. Even on opening day, there were a lot of folks walking down parts of Westridge causing a lot of the faster riders to do emergency stops.

10. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Let's see the before pic! More gore!

R Trujillo and Cornholio like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Heal up... And I'm good with only the after picture! No need for more. Thank you. :speechless::sick::sick::whistling:

R Trujillo and UPSed like this.
  12. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    It's getting harder at SS to time the jump in time. You look at guys who go in fast and then you catch them when they brake check!!! Oh well, everyone starts somewhere!!!

R Trujillo likes this.
  13. R Trujillo

R Trujillo Member

Name:
    Richard Trujllo
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Actually Herz, i was using the hardshell pads. They were driving me nuts as they felt like they were bunching up at the opening for the "bend point". All i can guess is that they slid down upon impact. The crazy part is that I didn't have any blood on them but I had to pull it down to figure out what hurt so bad. I don't know, scratching my head on this one.

herzalot likes this.
  14. R Trujillo

R Trujillo Member

Name:
    Richard Trujllo
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Ok to spare those that do not want the gore, here is a link to the picture in my Photobucket account. It might not be too bad for some, but a couple of my buddies are light weights lol.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/sleepercivic/MTB/gore_zpsfx4t7yfh.jpg

Faust29 likes this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That would be me. No likey big jumps, but I do like speed.

pachaven likes this.
  16. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?