Neighborhood Cyclery Adventure Series #1: Carlsbad Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Sidewalk, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk MTB Addict

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1642998426

Dean at Neighborhood Cyclery has gotten into the whole adventure riding type thing, so he created a series for this year. All rides are mapped out, but self supported. BYOT (bring your own tubes). Ride #1 started at Carl Strauss in Carlsbad.

It was an adventure alright!

I was a little late, but there was a total of 7 riders, so they didn't mind waiting. The weather in Carlsbad was very...Carlsbad. Overcast, perfect temperature of about 64 when we rolled out about 20 minutes late. We had one guest that was not a somewhat normal face, the owner of Roadies Hideaway in Bonsall. The Hideaway is a B&B in Bonsall set up for cyclists. He will be supporting a future charity ride for the shop! He showed up on his roadie with 25mm slicks...

We rolled about 3 miles before getting to the Calavera trails. From there it was mostly 3 miles of dirt singletrack, lots of fun. I fell back a little to join up with a local woman I have been wanting to meet in person for a while. We rode separate for the 3 miles of dirt before she split off. She didn't want to hit the asphalt on her Epic, and I doubt she was prepared for what we had in store for us, I was surprised.

After Calavera we hit the road again for a couple of miles to Buena Vista park, I raced to catch back up making it just after the park. This was more fireroad like, but still fun hauling ass in the dirt closing up ground!

Another jump on to the road when we detoured on to some trail next to the old Carlsbad Raceway. I didn't even know that trail was there and I lived close by as a trail runner for years! This is where the real adventure begins! This was a mix of conditions from hard pack single track to gravel to sand...then we hit a construction site. We had to carry our bikes around a giant hole in the ground dug for a new water pipe!

Back on the road to head to Double Peak. I have been up there before...but not this way! We had a mile climb at 13%. It was on the road, but gated off heading to a radio tower. We were grateful for the San Diego weather! We regrouped at the top as we all picked a different pace (some of us can't let the racer go). Then continued on to the dirt section. A couple of us got a little gap ahead and did the extra credit to the look out area at the top after I recommended it. Awesome view. Then we head down the trail, stopping to wait when I hear the sound of hoofbeats at a cantor coming up the hill!

From there we dropped down into the Elfin Forest..and flat #1. But it was a beautiful place to stop and repair a flat.

Flat repaired, we rolled through. Following trails I didn't know existed, lost here, missed turn there, it was awesome. Then we come along this concrete service road that looks like a wall. We stop to look and someone, not me, says "I wonder if I can climb that". Ugh, I can't turn down a challenge, it is a flaw. So I go to the bottom a few feet away, turn around, and start the climb as the third person. I am on my CX, but is geared a little tall with a 36/46 chainring and 28t rear cassette. The climb goes over 30% several times, and averages 24% for .3 miles! Near the top I had to switch back and forth, I just had no power left. I was the last one still moving, though Zach (a powerhouse) was able to restart and catch back up. I can't begin to explain how hard that was! After the upload, I apparently put in a pretty good effort, I'm in the top 10...

We continue on, my legs totally shot, and start hitting more climbs. When do the climbs stop? I swear it feels like the whole ride was climbing! It was so loose, I think Zach is the only one to make it without walking. Get to the top and we are chatting while regrouping, and I see my tire is flat, again. No idea why. Flat #2, borrowed someone else's tube.

We roll down through more dirt roads, down into horse territory of Olivenhain. We take some weird, some wild, and some mellow horse trails though the area to La Costa. We stop to regroup and start the last bit of road riding to the finish...and I'm flat? Ugh, flat #3.

Now we are on the road though. We do the 5 miles into the wind to get to the beach, then enjoy the perfect beach weather the rest of the 5 miles north back to the brewery. All of us are shot by now. We filter into the brewery and stuff ourselves with food, some with beer too. Stats be damned, it was a tough ride. And actually filled with random adventures. I think it tops the list now of the most fun ride I have ever done. Photos in the Strava link:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1642998426

Instagram Link

2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk MTB Addict

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Ride # 2 was a more relaxed ride around Lake Perris that I missed out on, so no ride report. Ride #3 is this weekend!

3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ MTB Addict

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    I will add my report later as I attended Perris lake edition.

4. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V3, Ibis Tranny
    Looks like a fun ride. I just poached your Strava route and will hit it soon on the RLT. :thumbsup:

5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk MTB Addict

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'll probably do it again for fun myself. Though...tubeless.

6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    You did that this last weekend... in Perris??? I could barely walk out of the house to the car!!!

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    This is awesome! Thanks for the Post up on this.

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    He said he missed the one in Perris...

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Was replying to JJ who did Perris: "I will add my report later as I attended Perris lake edition."

10. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ MTB Addict

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Perris Lake Edition, 15ish gathered on a cool June morning. Set of on a 24 mile ride around the rustic parts of Lake Perris. 2nd time on this route. Its a relaxing ride for the most part with a few climbs mixed in. Sand can be an issue due to some of the route being horse trails. I was riding my XC bike as I removed my fake MTB from my collection. I had very little trouble with the sand. But watching the others struggle was entertaining. Sorry Adventure bike guys. At one point near the 3/4 mark of the ride there was a HAB. I chose to bushwack a new trail which worked but a picked up a few goat heads. Stans seeled them rather slowly. From this point it was dirt road and multi use service dirt road back to the vehicles. This route would be better in the spring as things would be green.

Faust29, mike, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  11. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Nice ride SW!

Mikie and Sidewalk like this.
  12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk MTB Addict

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Ride #3: Big Bear

Yet another adventure. Things didn't go to plan, which is kind of the idea.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1703343332

I kinda last minute decided to camp out up there the night before. I ended up setting up my cot at 1:30 am, and set my alarm for 7. The forest was dead silent, just the occasional sound of a broken tree limb and the ringing of tinnitus in my ears, and a wall of stars above me to look at. Woke up to the sound of birds and a view of the trees.

By the time I got up and got my stuff put away, I rolled into the parking lot to meet at 8, supposed to roll at 8. Oops. Rushed to get ready and left 5 after. We were in roadie mode for the first 10 miles until we met our turn off to get us off the 18 and on to 3N03, it all went to hell from there. The next 14 miles would take us 3 hours! As we learned, a satellite image doesn't show the details of what a road was like. When Dean put together the route, he just explored from space and decided to go for it. Not that there was anything wrong with that, but damn that was hard work.

The 3N03 becomes the 2N02, and we then turned on to the 2N01 which leads you to the 38 just north of Onyx summit. These trails are in rough shape. All washed away by rain, all that is left is the rocks. Lots, and lots of rocks. Oh, and occasionally sand that has washed back on to the trails between the rocks. We took a 20, and two 10 minute breaks to get our legs back and regroup. It was slow going and the group couldn't stay as a group. If you take out the breaks, we averaged about 6 MPH! And it wasn't just the climbing. 1500' in 11 miles isn't substantial. But even on the flat ground or down hill you couldn't pick up speed because of all the rocks! It required all of your focus at all times. You had to pick your lines uphill and downhill. It was brutal. The last two guys started struggling real bad, and we told them to just take their time getting to the 38 and then take the easy way back to Big Bear.

Once reaching the 38 we saw how close we were to Onyx and decided "what the hell", at this point the climb seemed easy. No rocks! Just smooth asphalt, it was so nice! We did the 1.5 mile, 400' cimb and enjoyed it. We then turned around and hauled ass down the hill to reach the 2N93, and back to rocks.

The 2N93 to 2N27 while not as hard as before still required your undivided attention. Again constant rocks and no rest when you get to the flats or downhills. This got us around the backside of Bear Valley to Moonridge. The original plan was to go up Skyline and then back down in to Big Bear Lake to finish the ride and grab lunch, but we underestimated how hard the trail would be. Everyone was falling apart, and I had no issue with calling it quits either. We climbed up to Fern, and took the singletrack down, and then finished off by taking Town Trail across to the village where I managed to get my only flat of the ride. Man, I need tubeless!

We had some good food at Saucy Moma's, way too much food for me, and then some ice cream next door before everyone split. We were pretty beat.

But, I needed to stop by Skypark and decided to see if I could have fun at SP on my CX. The answer? Not with tubes. I got one run down the top half of Sleighride as a test and it was ok. Tried Arrow, and pinch flatted in the tiny rocks just after the first wall ride going into the first table. I still cleared the table, but landed on the flat rear tire! So I grabbed my Enduro out of the shop (I loaned it to one of the employees) and finished my day doing laps of Jumpline.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1703343332

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    ^^^ Sounds like quite

I learned a few years ago that just because Strava let's you create a route.....doesn't mean that you can acutally ride it. :eek:o_O:(

Faust29, Cyclotourist, mike and 3 others like this.
  14. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    So would it be a good route without all the loose rocks? If so, how to get them off.. Request from USFS? Team of Boy Scouts? Snow plow on the front of a Jeep?

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    It sounds a lot like Main Divide from Santiago Peak to Holy Jim...

16. Sidewalk

Sidewalk MTB Addict

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    If you have large volume tires, yes. On my 33mm CX, no. I don't think there is much to do about it, to be honest. I think it is fine as is, just really, really hard on a CX bike! And it wasn't necessarily the loose rocks only, it was also just the bedrock there. It would cost a fortune to make it a fireroad, and I call that a waste of money!

17. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Except a hell of a lot longer!

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  18. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    My bad, I thought those FS designations were already fire roads, just poorly maintained. Maybe better as jeep trails?

Sidewalk, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  19. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    'Nother day on the bike!

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  20. Sidewalk

Sidewalk MTB Addict

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    We crossed a lot of off road vehicles. There was a Jeep club of 35 going the opposite way!

mtnbikej and kioti like this.