Need some input on Santa Monica Mtn

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kingaucho, Feb 15, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    So taking a buddy who lives in Houston out riding on Saturday. Sounds like he is in OK shape, but doesn't do much climbing in Houston. He is staying in El Segundo and I figure the Santa Monica Mountains would be the closest trails. Any suggestions on where to take him? I saw Topanga Creek Outpost has a 10 mile loop from their shop, but thought some of you might have other suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Luis, Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  2. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    What kind of mileage you talking about?
    I'm thinking Sullivan Canyon is the most fun section to take good riders on. It can be done as an out and back in the same canyon or if you want a loop, then climbing up Westridge to the Nike Base is good. There's water at Nike and then you can loop around and descend Sullivan canyon back to your car. Out and back from the canyon up to dirt Mulholland is about 10 miles. The loop is probably around 12 or so.
    The stuff out Topanga way will be mostly fireroads since a lot of the single tracks are off limits to bikes :unsure:

3. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Thanks, Luis!

I asked him what he'd be good for and he said "any miles, depending on how much climbing". Haha! 12 mile loop sounds more than doable. I'll try to find on Strava to check out the elevation gain. It kills me to drive all the way up there and only do 12 miles...

4. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Looked it up on MTB Project. Should be doable for him. The singletrack on the way back looks fun,

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Is there a way to do something like a 1/2 millennium loop? Throw the MASH site in? Us east coasters are easily amused by stuff like that.

That was awesome stuff...

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, kingaucho and 4 others like this.
  6. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Check this out @kingaucho I found the loop on MTB Project BUT they did it backwards. If you do it counter clockwise, you suffer up the street climb to Madeville canyon and climb up the fireroad.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7026347/sullivan-canyon-westridge-singletrack-loop

Scroll down to the pictures and video and watch the video. If you do it the way I recommend, you can hit this fun section of offshoot single tracks in Sullivan Canyon. Just remember that it crosses the main road where you will encounter some traffic. An awareness bell is good to have here.

Park on the corner of Bayliss Rd and Eric Dr (you can Google that). Park here on Bayliss Rd next to the wall section. I try not to park in front of anybody's house so this is a perfect spot.
    Jump on your bike and ride back up to Westridge Rd and make a left. Settle in for a 1.3 mile road ride that will take you up to the Westridge trailhead. The road gets really steep just before the trailhead, so just pace yourselves! Don't worry, the fire road climb is a lot easier.
    Take Westridge fire road all the way to the top where the Nike Base is. You will find water, picnic tables, restroom and some shade.
    When you leave the Nike base, make a left on the big dirt road (Mulholland), go around the yellow gate and head to the top of Sullivan FR , go around the big yellow gate and start your way down Sullivan ridge. Keep an eye out for the entrance to Sullivan Canyon on your left. It's got a waffle pattern concrete erosion control section right at the start. There are no fun features on the upper section but soon you will start to see the bright pink ribbons to help guide you along the fun stuff.
    At the end of the canyon there is a short, steep asphalt climb up to Queensferry Rd. Follow that back to Bayliss Rd, make a right and it's a short ride back to your car.

If you feel like doing extra credit, climb back up the canyon as far as you like and come down the fun section again :)

7. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    I second a Sullivan Canyon loop or out and back. I recommend climbing Westridge up to the Nike Missile Silo and then across Mulholland to Sullivan Fire Rd and descend the Sullivan Canyon singletrack(s).

8. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Ha! I see you found the video I referred to :thumbsup:

9. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I've done this with @bigringrider101 in addition to doing an out and back on Backbone trail at the Corral trailhead.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7001019/crags-bulldog-mesa-peak

Bulldog is no joke, gets steeper near Castro peak (18% in some sections).

10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    A great ride that won't have as much singletrack, but some AMAZING views of the Pacific and might blow away out of towners is going up Sullivan to Nike, Dirt Mulholland over to Temescal and Four Corners, then down Eagle Springs/East Topanga Fireroad all the way to Sunset. Ride Sunset back to the trailhead.
    Views of Topangas, Pacific, Malibu homes, Sunset Blvd, and the Nike site. This is one of my favorite loops, as it includes so much awesomeness for someone like me living out in BFE. I'm projecting but thinking a Houstonian would also be impressed. Bonus points for dropping down to SM and riding the strand over to Bay Cities Deli, getting a sammy, then taking San Vicente back to Sullivan. This is one of my favorite ways to spend a day!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/albums/72157623551626767

11. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    These views are pretty great! How many miles and elevation gain do you think?

Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  12. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Ha, ha, not much climbing in Houston.... I have ridden Houston many times. Down there @ JSC.
    But I object I would ride the western ridge of Sullivan canyon "Sullivan ridge fire road", not Westridge which is the west ridge of Mandeville canyon, the east ridge of Sulli. The west side Sulli fire road, has 1/100 the people, + a wicked FAST singletrac parallel to the fire road. Then eventually you hit the Sullivan canyon turn off and can drop Sulli back down. That way if he tires out you have the fun fun FAST singletrac to come back on, and if he makes it you get Sulli which can be airworthy fun fun but it is not fast, its pretty flat in the canyon. Westridge makes you take Farmers road if you can find it or drop off Mullhuland to Sulli cyn.

Cyclotour has you going pretty far west, it that was me I would head to four corners and make a right on Rodgers road, which is really a single trac on the next west ridge of Rustic canyon, many consider this the best singletrac in the Santa Monicas

Go to Venturacountytrails for a great map and write ups on all these options.

To get there once in the canyon bottom look for the Sullivan ridge goat trail on your left, it takes you up to the ridge oh so fast.
    Happy trails in Gwyneth Paltrow's backyard.

13. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Four Corners???? We call it “The Hub” @Cyclotourist.
    The Sully ridge/Will Rogers loop is just over 20 miles with about 3000 feet of gain. That is without the extra credit that Cycloturist talked about.

14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yes, that's it... I mis-remembered the name, but knew it had one!!!

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Santa Monica has mountains?? Who knew? :p

Cyclotourist likes this.
  16. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    yes we call it the hub, but when in Rome....there are some cool drops off the hub

Cyclotourist likes this.
  17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Bernie! Hi!

18. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Hi Dio, Wolfie, Dennis

19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Welcome to the forum, @bigringrider101 . We're a pretty diverse group. Ride your bike(s) and post lots! Feel free to jump in anywhere. :thumbsup:

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

20. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Well.... we're waiting for the ride report :whistling:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?