MTBer's Are Some Of The Coolest.....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by hill^billy, Nov 23, 2015.

1. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    image.jpg

I've always thought that mountain bikers are some of the coolest people and this weekend proves again, what I already know.
    My wife and I, and also our neighbors headed up north to Buellton Calif., near Solvang. We pulled into a place called Flying Flags RV Resort. By hearing the name this ain't no place Rossage would be camping! This place is over the top GLAM CAMPING they call it.
    So, I thought I would take the bike, but didn't really put together a plan, and was thinking I would even settle for a fire road if need be as I had done some searching and found I would have to drive almost to, or close to Santa Barbara for any ST.
    On Saturday I stupidly went to the information Center to find out if there was any place to ride a mountain bike near by, I was greeted there by a nice elderly lady I would guess to be around 75, she told me what I already knew of course, and she was 75? Yep, this is cow country, mountain biking is not a at all a priority! But then there is Mike! Luckily my wife is always thinking when I'm not, and hands me the local bike shop brochure from DR. J'S bike shop, yah, DUH! So we headed over there, asked a gent who I forgot his name where if any there was a place close by to ride, I was told one place was closed and he gave me another option I believe of Los Olivos.

Well in walked another guy who kind of hovered for a minute, maybe he was feeling sorry for me a bit cause I was bichen there was nowhere to ride? Nonetheless to my surprise this guy Mike Hecker comes to my rescue and invites me to his private MTB park! WTF, really! And that's what I'm talking about when the word COOLEST is used, Mike is one of those people who somehow invites a stranger to his park while an high school team event from Newberry Park, and not to mention his son's birthday party is going on simultaneously. Mr. Hecker told me that he used to race back in the day in the 90's, like someone else we know here on the site, Mikie you have probably crosses path with this guy?

Mr. Hecker, I'm thanking you again, (and hope you see this) for your coolness and letting me crash the party and ride your awesome flowy trails, amongst the oaks.
    I had also met yet another cool gent by the name of Phil who was working on the pump track for Mike for some riding privileges, of which I got out of because I was wearing flip flops, and the soil wasn't quite wet enough yet from the sprinklers, I would have gladly given him a half hour if the circumstances were right for sure. Phillip and I ended up riding together and turns out, he is a damn good rider at that! He's from Thousand Oaks and just texted me he's a proud new member of this fine community and has been hoping to find one such as this. We exchanged #'s and I'm looking forward to hitting his favorite stuff in the Santa Monica's. Very nice to meet you Phil, may we ride soon. It's AT season. Cool people indeed!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Great story! :thumbsup:

Imagine the ending if you had wandered into a roadie shop. Those boys are on the uptight side...

Mikie, hill^billy, tortoise and 2 others like this.
  3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Fun place to ride, I have raced there once.

hill^billy and Mikie like this.
  4. hill^billy

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Mikie please move this damn thing to RIDE REPORTS? might have a few crooked pics also?

Mikie likes this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Doh! HillBilly!

Can't stay away from the trailer trash. ...

6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Yep, that's my definition of mtbing people too (although I won't deny there's a few prickly pears...:laugh:).

Great story, great RR.....

Mikie and hill^billy like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    DONE!
    Hey Really Great Story Bud! :thumbsup:

hill^billy likes this.
  8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    saaaweeeet!

hill^billy and Mikie like this.
  9. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    I thought everybody either knew, or knew of Mike Hecker ;~)

He works VERY hard to provide a place to ride and race up in that area.

This is my son (Ted) at a collegiate race up there about four or five years ago.

IMG_4530.jpg

hill^billy, Mikie, Hecky and 2 others like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Is that the Charlottes "Something-Er-Rather" up outside of Buellton or San Ysidro?

Hecky likes this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Awesome outing, HB. Thx for the report.

Good attitudes beget good times. It ain't necessarily the people around ya, HB, but what you attract. I've found there really are no great groups of people. Every group has exemplary individuals and throw-aways. It took me decades and a lot of disappointment to get that. People are people. Keep the best, F the rest. Of course, we at IMTBT are the best. :sneaky:

Ride hard, have fun...

Mikie, Luis, hill^billy and 3 others like this.
  12. hill^billy

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Not sure Mikie, was just off of Zaca Station Rd, about 10 or 15 min. Out of Buellton.

Mikie likes this.
  13. Hecky

Hecky Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Mike Hecker
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly SL
    Charlotte's Meadow at The Dirt Club

image.jpg

14. Hecky

Hecky Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Mike Hecker
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly SL
    Doug, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad that you had a great time! Let me know when you want to return.

BeckTrex, Mikie, Luis and 5 others like this.
  15. Hecky

Hecky Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Mike Hecker
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly SL
    Thanks Daddy Dirtbag! I'm not that famous lol ;)

Daddy Dirtbag, Mikie and Danimal like this.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    YES! This is a cool place!
    JoeMac, his girlfriend Debbie, Cathy and I did a race a Charlotte's Meadow. It was 2 maybe 3 years ago. It was a misty rainy day and the course was predominately clay. It was a mudfest, tires turned to cartoon doughnuts, disapearing derailleurs, and the trails were so slippery people were carrying their bikes as the wheels would not rotate.

I say "Luckily" I snapped my chain trying to turn my wheels, therefore I DNF'ed. Joe stuck it out by just carrying his bike around the course and got 2nd place. Miserable racing but we had so much fun!

Charlotte's Meadow is a rock on place!