Mt. Pacifico 10/12/15

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BCrummett, Oct 13, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BCrummett

BCrummett Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3
    So I decided to try and beat the heat yesterday by waking up early, heading up the Crest and riding my usual route at Chilao. However, when I got to the Charleton Flats picnic area I started to notice signs saying that some road work was taking place. I drove a little further up the road hoping I could get to the Chilao Visitors Center or Devils Canyon parking area, but all of a sudden traffic became F'd!!! Lucky for me, I was able to find a turn out before I got locked into the traffic log-jam, made a swift U-turn, and went back to Charelton Flats area and parked.

At this point I was still planning on riding the standard Chilao Loop, so I geared up, and started off on my ride. I made it to the junction where a right turn would take me to Rosanita Saddle and a left turn would take me into some territory I hadn't yet explored. Hmmmm what to do....

I didn't have anywhere to be until way later in the day, and when I looked at my watch, I noticed I was riding at a pretty decent pace. Even though I started off with 6 straight miles of climbing (and ate at Tommy's the night before) my legs still felt super fresh, and the weather was feeling absolutely perfect. So... I took out my maps.

I had no idea which route would be the most scenic or rewarding, but I did notice that the 7k peak of Mt. Pacifico had a campground, and was close enough to check out. Anyway, the idea of bagging a 7k peak on my bike, and checking out a new spot to camp out at was too irresistible, so off I went, eventually making the summit in a little over an hour. Also, I'm not sure how many of you have been up there, but the campground is BAD A$$!!! Lots of boulders, trees, stellar views, and primo spots to set up camp and fully equipped spots w/ fire rings and picnic tables. Plus its remote enough to weed out 99% of the bozo's who camp at the other places in the Crest.

After taking some pics, eating a mini lunch, and relaxing while soaking in the views and fresh air, I cruised back down the fire road. I made my way to Rosanita Saddle, climbed up Mt. Hillyer (failing to climb the wall yet again), rode through the boulder field, laid the bike down and got all scraped up on the least technical part of the entire ride (hit a sand trap), and bombed Silver Moccasin back to the car. Another epic day on the bike!!! Note to self... I definitely need to wing it on these solo rides more often!
    IMG_0364.jpg IMG_0340.jpg IMG_0349.jpg IMG_0366.jpg IMG_0367 (1).jpg IMG_0370.jpg IMG_0375.jpg IMG_0369.jpg 61F9AEC6-A2B6-48C0-92F1-9F3EA106E34B.jpg

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Always a great report and pics. There's always a pic in there no one else would get...

Do you prefer solo rides, or you just fit them in when you can which is often when others can't?
    Thanks for posting this! I miss Pacifico!

3. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Nice ride report Brandon. Makes me so envious to see your pics while I'm in my office!

I'm pretty sure it's a factor of his schedule, but I'm sure he'll chime in.

4. BCrummett

BCrummett Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3
    Whats up guys... I don't prefer solo rides at all, just seems to be how the riding works for me since I changed careers. Go figure, way more time to ride, but not too many people to ride with! Oh well... So yeah I work every other weekend, so my main riding time is actually during the week, which isn't the greatest for meeting up w/ my main mountain bike buds.

hill^billy and Mikie like this.
  5. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    Nice report! I'll have to check this one out someday, looks like a great place.

Mikie and BCrummett like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Great report... Thanks for sharing and making me really jealous. :thumbsup:

Mikie and BCrummett like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Well, now I have to go ride up there. Great pics and report!!

BCrummett and Mikie like this.
  8. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Dig the pics!!

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    BCrummett and hill^billy like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    Man, you guys make the stuff there look mighty appealing. Way to wing it and score, BC. Nice ride and nutshell report. Cool bike, too. Be careful with that solo riding...it's a controlled substance y'know : )

Looks like a nice area to camp. How tall are those boulders in the background of photo #2?

11. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I need to ride up to that camp ground real soon.

12. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    I have camped up there a few times and it is good and bad. The wind up there can get nasty as no cover on that mountain top....a couple of big rocks you can camp behind. You get cell reception out of Antelope Valley. Poaching PCT at night is the reason to be up there. You drop PCT to the West fireroad back to camp. Drop PTC to the East to Sulphur Springs fireroad back to campground. Grade climbing on PCT is not too bad but SCD easier. Was A ticket before the fire now it is Poodle Dog central.

That last climb off of Santa Clara Divide Road (SCD) is a grind.

Dean

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1340.JPG

13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I have a deep hatred and sadness for the Station Fire!

14. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I found it interesting that the PCT west of Pacifico has an official re-route onto fire road to the highway, when the trail is actually in decent shape just a few downed trees. Poodle dog was not that bad. Yet the trail off the east side to Sulphur Springs is horrible with poodle dog yet it is open. If I were the PCT org I'd be all over getting that stuff cut out. The trail all the way over past Gleason is pretty much unusable still.

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Up there not too long ago with Mikie & Robin McG and rossage. We came down off Pacifico and hit the PCT to find it a Poodle Dawg extravaganza to the point of irritating! If it's anything like it was, do not attempt.
    Actually I think I'm immune to PD, we plowed it on Red Box to Switzer, bars and gloves covered with PD and juiceage and not one affect. Although, just thinking about it, I get all itchy scratchy! :eek:

16. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo, Ripley V4 & Timberjack
    Funny, I just had to Google "poodle dog bush". I had never heard of that. Good info to have so I can stay clear of it if I ever come across it.

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    For many, it is absolutely nothing to mess with...

BCrummett likes this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Thanks for sharing....looks like a fun grind.

19. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Poodle Dog or fireweed is suppose to be gone a few years after a fire. Not the case in the San Gabs. I can smell it before I see it. First day of Strawberry Peak re-opening I rode it. There was poodle dog crystals in the trail so when the dirt kicked up it got into my eyes three days my eyes where swollen shut. Nasty. I while a take a crash over poison oak or poodle dog any day. Evil stuff.

BCrummett, Mikie and hill^billy like this.
  20. BCrummett

BCrummett Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3
    The boulders in photo #2 are probably 2-3 feet high, but there are other boulder piles up there where they area easily 5-15 feet tall.

Mikie and mike like this.
  21. BCrummett

BCrummett Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3

22. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Once you get to Sulphur Springs on the PCT it is not a decent to 3 Points there are some good climbs and mostly uphill. I start the Chilao ride at 3 Points, drop PCTto Sulphur Springs, take Santa Clara divide to the top of Chilao, then at Horse camp take Silver Moccasin back to 3 points. I like that much better than the way most people ride that loop.

Dean

Want to donate to imtbtrails?