Mountain lion deer kill in Aliso Woods?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TwoWheel Eric, Mar 12, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    So I was having a chat with another rider I ran across on a trail and he told me there was a mountain lion deer kill at Aliso. He said he wouldn't have believed it but said his friend saw the carcass himself. It would be quite rare for a mountain lion to be in this area, but curious if anyone knows any more about this.

Faust29, Cornholio, mike and 3 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Last I had heard there were no known mtn lions on that side of the 405 fwy in OC.

3. pdqmach26

pdqmach26 Member

Name:
    Bob
    A lot more deer in Aliso lately. Last 3 times riding I have counted 14 deer in the meadow on the right, riding into the park

4. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Very cool if it's true.

Several years ago I found a nice map of Mtn lion movement in OC parks. It looked like most of the parks were pretty well used with exception of Santiago Oaks. Surprisingly, Oaks was only used as an area to move through by two tracked lions.

I haven't been able to find that study or map online since though.

5. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ya, I'm fascinated by them. My understanding is that very few mt. lions in OC are collared as opposed to LA. So not much firm data for OC.

Faust29, Sasquatch9billion and bvader like this.
  6. Bill

Bill Member

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    it's black
    Not gonna say I saw a kitty since it wasn't real clear what I saw but it looked and moved like a cat and was yearling size for a kitty, albeit a bit stocky. Too large for bobcat and more fluid. Couldn't really make out what it was for sure since I assumed it was not a lion. Bommer Canyon last week. I've always discounted the many people who've told me over the years "there's a mountain lion over there" breathlessly in the San Joaquin Hills, but I dunno. It really did look like a lion.

Oaken, herzalot, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU. I'm not surprised by this. I saw a mountain lion two separate times near Coyote Run in the 90s.

BonsaiNut, herzalot, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  8. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Official policy has been no lions that far west.
    They say no captures on cameras and such yada yada.
    Many people over time have claimed they've seen them and officials say they were wrong.
    Just last week I was reading a 350 page report for a sludge pipeline in Aliso. (right up @DangerDirtyD 's alley)
    Anyways, report mentioned lion footprints in Aliso. A report written by a real biologist.
    There's lots of deer in Aliso and lions eat deer.

I'll go with they at least transit the area occasionally

9. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    Maybe no lions but plenty of cougars in Aliso. ;)

Oaken, herzalot, kingaucho and 11 others like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I think there a park named for them around there?

11. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The lion that was hit on the 73 last year was technically not in the park. But I’d say it was close enough to be convinced that the kitties do get over there from time to time.

Oaken, mtnbikej, scottay and 6 others like this.
  12. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    I don't remember that one, but that's definite proof.

Oaken and mtnbikej like this.
  13. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  14. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay

A sludge pipeline up who's alley?!

Rumpled and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    What company wrote the report? It would cost about $4,000 just to run that document through a technical editor for editing, formatting, and pagination.

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  16. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Per that map, apparently mountain lions won't cross Ortega Hwy? Not sure I buy that. Looking at the map, the south end of the Arroyo Trabuco is surprisingly close to Aliso Woods and following the creek, there is even a tunnel under I-5. I say it's certainly possible.

DangerDirtyD and Rumpled like this.
  17. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    I'll have to find it again. It's a few years old, they are just now gonna start the construction. I probably started from OCParks and followed links to it.

I meant the report was up @DangerDirtyD 's alley. Sludge is probably more in his brain.

Not sure if it was a full EIR or whatever it was called, but has all the sections, geological, biological, historical, cultural etc

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  18. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    If I were a betting man I’d put my money on it being due to the fact that the other side of Ortega is not Orange County.. but maybe the cats wear shock collars, who knows? ;)

DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  20. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    It is, at least the first half of it.

Cornholio likes this.
  21. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    People who carry scat (and artifacts) around to salt sites most often happen to live near said project site and are not hired by professional consulting companies. I would argue surveyors prefer not to identify anything sensitive on their projects so they would not have to deal with responsible and trustee agency jurisdiction and additional research and reporting. For example, the only other mention of mountain lions is cursory on page 168; I would think elaboration would be provided on page 165, but perhaps California did not consider the mountain lion a “special status species” in 2013. Finally, on page 172, the finding is that everything would be A-OK as long as more biologists are hired to conduct more surveys just before construction commences and to watch the construction crews work, revegetate the disturbance area and similar environs with specific plant species at specified ratios, and do some paperwork and submit a fee payable by the project Applicant to Responsible Agencies. None of the mitigation regards mountain lions.

That’ll be $500, please.

22. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    Oh, I'm not saying those hired would do that.
    The case I'm thinking of is where someone was putting lynx hair on hair traps. Trying to stop a development in Colorado, I think.

The Mt Lion special status goes back to 1990.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  23. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    This is why a POS employee should take a hike (without getting paid to survey a project site). Fish and Game Code, § 4800 means the EIR required further analysis of impacts to mountain lions. I would think the CDFW commented on the matter, but perhaps they didn’t since this is a Final EIR. I didn’t look through the comment letters because it’s the weekend. The question I have is why even mention the scat if there is no acknowledgement of the species in the applicable impacts discussion?

Rumpled likes this.
  24. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Well at least we have confirmation that @mike is wrong. :) Why? Because if the government said it - we know it is true! :)

25. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I was kidding, my only guess is that was the border they used on their map since the beginning part of Ortega would not be difficult at all for a lion to cross. And since there have been sightings and attacks (years ago) in Caspers they surely are on the other side. While the original links I posted say they have not been on the other side of the 5 in the past 10-15 years I think it is silly to think they wouldn’t move over there at some point.

Here is a gps tracked map, not very detailed but gives a better idea of their reach.

CBC0649E-8EEC-4724-9441-3C5EDC6DB42B.jpeg

26. jdubb

jdubb Member

Name:
    John Williams
    Current Bike:
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy cc
    They are south of Ortega for sure. I have had an up close sighting with a big healthy cat while hiking near Oak Flats.
    My understanding is that the San Mateo Wilderness is prime lion territory

27. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Yes, it was never a doubt of mine but the map I posted showed them stopping at Ortega which grew some skepticism of the source. I just think that was where their study boundary was. I think they could absolutely be making their way to the Aliso Woods area which was the subject to begin with. :thumbsup:

28. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    great map, thank you

the map also shows how much of a hot spot the Limestone Canyon has been for mountain lions. The heavy burns from 2 fires in Limestone might have pushed them out to the non-burn areas like east side of Whiting and O Neill, like their dinner (deer).

29. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    Speaking of Limestone. I have done many rides and hikes out there with (let's see if I remember) Nature Conservancy, IRLR, IRC, OCParks.
    I have seen many lion prints out there. On one hike a docent had a photo album of their game cameras. Many photos of lions at water troughs and on trails.
    One of my favorite tracks was on the Cactus Trail, heading uphill. I was pedalling very slow as I often do and had lots of time to look down. I saw lion prints and deer prints on the trail. I had this great made up story in my mind that a lion was tracking a deer. Hey, it could be true.

30. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?