Mountain bikers rock!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danimal, Nov 26, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    OTHRider, Faust29, Mikie and 12 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    @herzalot wrote the first paragraph!! :rolleyes:

I've never heard good things about surfing. I used to body surf at Huntington Beach as a teenager and could have cheerily shot most of the surfers.

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Great read, lots of truth.

4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I've heard this about surfers, but the point isn't them being territorial, it's that we share the stoke and encourage riders.
    I've had many great experiences with random riders on the trail. :)

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I don't see the comparison, but whatever. I started 30 years ago in Colorado. Must be referring to the "bottom rung of competence" phrase. Nonetheless, flattered that you would think of me.

And yes, surfers do not talk to each other in the lineup unless they already know you. Mt. bikers almost always talk to each other.

6. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I am sensing less camaraderie as time goes on...at least here in the county parks. Seeing another rider on the trail isn’t exactly the happy surprise it once was. It was almost unsettling how friendly everyone was in Crested Butte.

7. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I surfed the most territorial places growing up. Lunada Bay in Palos Verdes. Very notorious for localism, but either I didn't notice it or it wasn't that bad in the 80's.

Fueledbyex8, Redman, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Now I wanna take up surfing and do it in my speedo and hug and say hello to everybody!

Danmtchl, kazlx, Fueledbyex8 and 9 others like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I enjoyed the read. I firmly believe Hooligans are exactly what the author describes. I am proud of the imtbstoke to never get tired to help out someone new to our sport. Also we need to continue efforts to share trail etiquette!

A very nice positive!

10. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    What a great read! In my experience, mtn bikers are even more friendly than trail runners. There’s an elitist attitude among runners, especially ultra runners. And jeez...how true about the unfriendly surfers bit! I’ve only come across a few surfers who were willing to offer scrap of advice while I’m out there failing miserably.o_O
    MTBiking is the best :inlove::thumbsup::D:geek:

Danmtchl, Fueledbyex8, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Please do!!!!!

12. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I try to be friendly with everyone. And I feel like most people do the same, well, sans the dirt roadies that are on a mission to set PRs on Fully Loop. But seriously, most riders are chill and I think there's a lot more openness in mountain biking than a lot of other sports.

I surfed a few times with my brother and hated it for a lot of reasons. I'll pass thanks.

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mountain bikers around Tahoe don’t necessarily rock. The place is world class for recreation, but the beach vibe is palpable and off-putting as hell.

Between them and the wave of entitled, lazy excuse makers on motorized contraptions, it’s quite a motivator to get way out where few will be found. The farther out you get, the more friendly and real the people are. Insecure people, even skilled ones, tend to be soft motherfukkers.

14. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    As the sport has become more popular and as e-bikes have reduced the effort needed to get to areas there is a higher percentage of non-friendly types. But it does appear to me that those into racing and getting their kom strava times show the worst behavior. It's all about them you know!

Overall, I think 80% of those out on the trail are friendly, helpful and share the stoke. Those are the ones that are true Mtb'ers at heart.

15. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    After snowboarding Squaw, i think of Tahoe as an extension of Silicon Valley. I’d never encountered such awful lift line etiquette.

16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    When I go to Santa Cruz, I usually go surfing at Pleasure Point and everyone is very friendly and accommodating, but there is an order of priority for a wave and you have to know your place. But I usually catch a few good ones.

Danimal, herzalot, tick and 2 others like this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Don't the White sharks eat people in Santa Cruz?

mountaingirl sara and Danmtchl like this.
  18. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Haven't had any problems yet, keeping my fingers crossed.

mountaingirl sara and herzalot like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I am sure they have seen you, but you haven't seen them. Let's hope it stays that way. There's plenty of them "men in the grey suits" down here as well, BTW.

tick and mountaingirl sara like this.
  20. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I try to be super friendly to other bikers, trail runners, and hikers. If you are on an e-bike where you don't belong, you might get a scolding, but it would be the same I would have for a motocross rider in the same spot. Otherwise if you respect the trails, it's all good!

I try to recall a run-in that I have had with another mountain biker, and I can't recall a single one in CNF. I can recall a few in Aliso; typically people bombing trails into oncoming uphill traffic, etc, but that is just Aliso on the weekends.

I also can't recall a run-in with a distance runner. I have had a couple of strange run-ins with hikers where the other party was super aggressive - and vocal about it. But those are such a minority; they happen once every several years. They are also ALWAYS with someone new on the trails - who I will never see again. The locals / regulars are always cool (at least in my experience).

21. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I'd say this is pretty accurate with my experiences also.
    Virtually all the trail users, especially the regulars, are happy and friendly, except for the occasional hiker that for whatever reason is bitter at the world.

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  22. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Yeah, the last strange occurrence was on Harding a couple years ago. I ride the trail pretty regularly, and I'd say half the time I am the first one up the trail in the AM. I always note the number of cars in the parking area, because it gives me an idea of who might be out on the trail. One morning there was a single car in the lot. As I was climbing about two miles into the ride, I saw a portly backpacker a couple of bends up. It was an unusual sight; I rarely see backpackers on Harding, and this guy was heavy enough he didn't look like he should be hiking Harding, let alone backpacking it. I come around a final switchback, and there he is about 100 yards up, standing on the side of the trail wheezing. He looks up, sees me, stands there until I am right up to him, and then steps out into the middle of the trail right into my line. I slow down and ride behind him for a while, waiting for an opportunity to pass on the right. I call out "good morning!" which is usually enough to get someone to step to the side of the trail. Finally I just ask "are you going to let me by?"

The guy gets super aggro with me: "I thought you bikers could ride anywhere... you're always cutting me off and being rude like you own the mountains. How does it feel?"

I replied "I don't know anything about all that. All I know is that I am being polite to you, and you are being a dick to me". That more or less shut him up, and he did step out of the line and let me by. I rode up to Four Corners, and saw him on the way back down, though he had only progressed about another mile and looked like he was done for the day. I didn't say anything... just ignored him and sailed past. And like I assumed, I've never seen him since.

I don't like to argue with anyone on the trails. It gives my ride a negative vibe. Even though I mention occasional arguments on this site, I never enjoy them. I much prefer to slow down, chat with people, be super friendly, say "have a great hike!" or whatever. Positive attitude is contagious!

23. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    sharks have terrible vision, at least the ones I have encountered. Lucky for us since we are almost the slowest creature out there.
    happy days not quite at the top of the food chain.

mountaingirl sara likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?