Mountain Biker killed by bear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Louis Zegarra, Jun 30, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
  2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Luis and kioti like this.
  3. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Another article on same incident.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ma...eed-when-he-hit-grizzly/ar-AAnZzKg?li=BBnbfcL

An investigation into the June mauling death of a Forest Service cop in Montana has determined that the officer was riding a mountain bike at a high rate of speed when he crashed into a grizzly bear.

Brad Treat, 38, was descending the "Outer Trail" of the Green Gate Trails in the Flathead National Forest between 1:30 and 2 p.m. June 29 when he rounded a blind curve and collided with the grizzly, according to a Board of Review Report.

The board released its findings into the incident this week and made safety recommendations, the Great Falls (Mont.) Tribune reported.

Treat was traveling at an estimated 20-25 mph when the accident occurred. There were no tire skids or evasive steering that would indicate that he immediately saw the bear. He hit the animal at full-speed and flew over the handlebars, fracturing his wrists and his left shoulder blade when he tried to break his fall.

When Treat's companion, who was not identified, came upon the scene, the "very big, brownish-black" bear with "bristled up" fur was standing over Trent. The fellow rider reported that he had heard the bear cry out, making a sound "like it was hurt."

The companion froze, not knowing what to do. Neither man was carrying bear spray, a firearm or a cellphone.

By this time the bear was "intent and focused" on attacking Treat and either ignored or did not notice the other man.

According to the board report, the companion left to seek help because he did not feel comfortable trying to get the bear off Trent.

The companion carried his bike through the forest to reach a highway about a mile away and then flagged down a vehicle.

Treat was dead by the time responders arrived. His helmet was reportedly bitten to pieces, but no part of his body was eaten by the bear, indicating that the encounter probably was not a predatory attack.

DNA testing of the bear's hair showed that the grizzly was a 18- to 20-year-old male who weighed about 370 pounds when he was captured during a research project at Glacier National Park in 2006. He had no history of aggression toward humans.

Treat's death was the first bear-related mountain bike death in Montana.

Mountain bikers are much more likely than hikes to encounter bears on trails because they move much faster. Because they can't hear the cyclists coming,

The Board of Review made the following recommendations for mountain biking in bear country:

• Stay vigilant
    • Slow down
    • Carry bear spray
    • Make noise
    • Don't ride alone
    • Never ride at dusk, dawn or night
    • Don't think "it won't happen to me"
    • Remember bears live there and you are just a visitor.

Grassblade23, herzalot, MattB and 4 others like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Same incident as the OP.

I rode through the Kalispell area last year, two months after the incident. The Divide goes right through the area. Flying down any road or trail in Griz country seems like tempting fate. I was extremely careful. I think prevention is the key – a pissed off bear will not be fazed by bear spray, as we saw last year.

Faust29, jaime and mtnbikej like this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    This thread reminded me of something unusual I came across last week...Riding Tijeras Creek trail (a fairly urban trail in the greater O'Neill Park Wilderness in south OC, if you're not familiar), I thought I heard an air horn. Since the trail has housing on one side and a toll road on the other, I thought nothing of it. Then I came upon a lone female hiker who, just as I approached behind her, blew an air horn. My first thought was that either she was warning someone I was coming (going uphill, so not approaching anyone fast) or thought I looked threatening. Then I realized she hadn't seen me yet. She did turn around and see me, and as I passed, asked me "Are there foxes out here?" I said no, but there are coyotes. She says she saw something. This was followed by three thoughts:
    1. Why would you be blowing an air horn at a fox?
    2. If you're so scared of wildlife that you carry an air horn and blow it at the slightest rustle, why are you out here hiking alone?
    3. (This is the thought that inspired the post) Is an air horn an effective deterrent against predatory wildlife, i.e. mountain lion or bear? I'd still carry bear spray in areas with bear, but would an air horn scare an animal away? (I assume not if you just attacked it, i.e. hit it at 20mph.)

6. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    79676b49f9f816086d6acb4206f70250.jpg

I may have an excuse to pick up a S&W 500.

"Honey, you don't need a gun when you ride!" - Wife

"Bears." - me

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Want a Model 57 instead? For when you just need it to know it's through. :whistling:

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Rather it be a bear than a bus!

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'd rather it be a bus than a bear because it would be over quickly.

10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I was a bike messenger for many years. I'll take the bear. I'd take "death by ooga booga" before a bus!

11. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Me too!!

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Bus or bear? One is a huge, hulking monster that will kill you without notice, the other will probably scamper off into the woods.

13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    If you prefer death by bear then @Mikie has the perfect ride for you with his Cherry creek epic. If da bears don't kill ya the hike a bike at the end of the canyon damn sure will. Good times...

14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Mikie in a bear suit = "death by ooga booga!":laugh:

Killed by a bear sounds better on a tombstone than ran over by a bus!

15. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Yep at least with a bear it means you were out doing something you like.

16. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I guess either way, you're gonna end up well tenderized and likely unrecognizable. :eek:

17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It could be a bus and I'd still be doing what I like. :geek:

18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You Sir, are a true optimist.

19. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    You must know what kind of bear you may encounter: brown and black bear scat contains berries and insect shells, Grizzly bear scat has bells, ammo and smells like pepper.

tick, Grassblade23, Luis and 5 others like this.
  20. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    Easy to answer...
    1. Blow the air horn so the "fox" think the hounds and riders are coming for the hunt.

21. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    Yeah, the bus can be gruesome. I saw a vid where a moped rider got sucked into the wheel well and torn up like a rag doll.

22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    That's doesn't compare to getting sucked into a jet intake...though the intake scenario is much less likely to happen to a cyclist. :eek:

mike and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  23. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Having worked in aviation, I'll take the intake over the bus wheelwell. I've seen people live after getting sucked into the intake, (They were wearing the proper gear.)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?