Motorcycles vs mtbkikes

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by konakc, Nov 4, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Rode my friends suzki 750.. the acceleration is incredible.. going 70 to 90plus on the 57 w flick of hand...I missed riding Moto so got my fix...
    BUT.. mtbkin is still mo thrilling.. might not go as fast but going down bane ridge or Mach 1.. the thrill of speed and acceleration is more pronounced...
    I love mtbkin! No need for motos ...

IMG_20191104_114829.jpg

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Kike is a pretty bad word... :eek:

I know it was a slip of the typing fingers... :thumbsup:

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sweet! Those machines are incredible and so fun. A different kind of fun than MTB – the kind where death is common.

4. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Oops..I don't even know what that means..
    I love mtbkin!!!

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It’s about the worst thing you can call a Jewish person. It jumped off the page at me when I saw it, but I knew it was a typo... just pointing it out.

Back to motorcycles... :thumbsup:

Bonsai and I saw a guy tip over off of Main Divide yesterday on one of the off menu single tracks. Slow speed tip over, and he was really surprised that there was someone there to see it. He jumped when I yelled to see if he was ok. :p

6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    He really didn't look like he was being "one with the trail". He was all tangled up in the dead weeds and scrub :)

I'm assuming Wildemar OHV park south of Ortega is still closed?

7. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I guess I’m an mtbkike!
    (Raised Jewish, but don’t practice)

8. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I bought a dual sport moto a few years ago, it may have appeared in a few trip reports. I got it partly to explore forest roads more efficiently and partly to self shuttle on MTB rides. It's been a lot of fun to ride around town too, and very useful in general.

I'm not brave enough to take it on any singletrack yet. I can't just pick it up and carry it if I get stuck like I can with the MTB.

9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    It's the empty freeways that I can't resist....

DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.
  10. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I have a plated and insured 2010 KTM 530 Dual Sport bike. I don't ride it much anymore. I bought it after riding from Barstow to Primm, NV on my 2004 KX500 and swearing I would never again use a track dirt bike for a dual sport purpose. I still like both my motorcycles but I love riding my mountain bike a whole lot more.

11. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    hold up... are you saying a KX 500 is a track bike?:laugh: That's a lot of bike for any track. Not sure if that sounds like fun or torture. Maybe a little of both, I see the attraction... now.:thumbsup:;)

Voodoo Tom and mike like this.
  12. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I started riding moto as early as bicycles. Always dirt bikes, desert trips in my young days. And, then started riding nothing but track as I became an adult. I sold the MX bike several years ago so I could pedal more often. AND, mtb is safer, not as dangerous. Got a family to keep alive. I never owned a "street" bike or a Harley type bike. I have ridden both several times. It was fun and I could see myself easily getting into trouble. That's why I stayed away. Not worth the risks. I did own an old enduro that was street legal for close to 20yrs. A 1973 Yamaha DTF 250. That bike was a riot, slow but a ton of fun. Only took it on the fwy once and I thought it was going to blow up. Didn't get out of the slow lane.
    Anyhow I had a point to this... To me riding MX is the most satisfying. Only because you need to push yourself more towards danger in order to improve. The faster you go, the higher the risk. And, when it all goes right the feeling from all those endorphins is better than my beloved weed. Railing an inside rutted turn into a 3 pack of 40' + doubles has a flow feeling thats difficult to top. BUT, riding mtb is better in a totally different way. Pushing myself physically for longer durations of time takes a lot more mental focus. Finishing a good ride, climb, tech downhill, etc. is mentally rewarding. And, helps w/ the confidence needed to succeed in most areas of life. I do get the same endorphin rush as mx, just not as often and at the same level. Man I miss riding MX.:(

13. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Voodoo Tom, UPSed and Redman like this.
  14. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Stkx66 that 500 was the go to for desert racing for quite a while. If you could hold on. Soooo much power. Props to you for being able to control the beast. You know it's not for everyone. I'll take a lazy four stroke all day over the snap of a smoker.

That video is insane. One, it's MC. Two, it's Mammoth. Both straight up legends. He makes it look like he's riding a 125.

Stkx66, UPSed and Voodoo Tom like this.
  15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I rode KTM and Suzuki 250s for all my teen years, and miss them a lot. I soooo want a CRF450L to hit all the fire roads on. It would be so much fun in the mountains. Photo below is from the trails coming down into Redlands, so I can really see this happening!

2019-Honda-CRF450L-cycle-news.jpg

Scared I would like it so much I'd quit riding mountain bikes!

Stkx66 and Redman like this.
  16. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Take it to the track.

UPSed likes this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yup. That's what I did.

20171109_072301.jpg FB_IMG_1510191733880.jpg FB_IMG_1510191711434.jpg FB_IMG_1555850569333.jpg

18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    150+ MPH on the freeway doesn't even compare to being on a proper racetrack. Like comparing riding a road bike on the river trail vs riding Miracle Mile on the mountain bike.

DangerDirtyD and UPSed like this.
  19. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    is there anyway I can correct the title?? I was trying but cannot figure it out...

20. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    97 on 57 was more than enough for me...