Mill Creek Summit to Chilao and Back

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Mikie, May 14, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 05-16-20
  1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ride Name: Mill Creek Summit to Chilao and Back
    When: Saturday May 16th
    Time: 9:00am
    Where: Mill Creek Summit
    Ride Description or Details:
    This is a new one for me. Mill Creek Summit off the Angeles Forest Hwy. This ride climbs up the fire road from Mill Creek Summit on Angeles Forest Hwy to the Pacifico turn off to the camp, then drops to the trailhead of Hillyer which takes you to Chilao. We do Chilao, the Silver Moccasin, then climb the fire road back up to Pacifico and drop some SOT back to the vehicles. Should be saweet! Guessing 35 mile ride?
    ~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location:
    Mill Creek Summit off of Angeles Forest Hwy.
    Skill Level: Intermediate
    Ride Pace: Easy with Moments of Effort
    Type of Ride: Lolipop
    Rider Limit: No limit
    Anticipated Mileage: 35 Miles
    Elevation Gain: Not sure
    Ride Duration: 4 hours?
    Previous Ride Reports: None.
    Possible Bail-Outs: Hmmm.... Not so much. Just turn around.
    Facilities: None
    Food/water suggestions: Well for me it’s my usual. 100oz. camelback with about 8 scoops & a 25 oz. water bottle on the bike of pure water
    Option to Upload:

You guys put the kabosh on my Skyline ride this Saturday so Tom, John, and I sat and drank a few beers after a Tapia ride and John suggested this. So pony up!

2. Michigander

Michigander Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Kona Honzo ST
    Sounds like an adventure! I'm in!

3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yazzz!

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    You posted this with over 24 hrs notice, so for that reason, I am out!

5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You know? Based on your current circumstances... you get a pass.
    All the rest of yah’s who have bitched about last minute ride posts, your true colors now show!

6. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Y’all have fun.
    I’m gonna stay closer to home and check out the night life.

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Based on @SS Barby, this is mostly the route.
    C5396724-8CBD-4C2D-A322-2A019117574F.jpeg
    F3C6B6F7-3E9F-4F1E-85D0-53C1C02C3ED3.jpeg

9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Have any of you done SOT from Pacifico summit back toward Mt Hillyer recently? I did a ride very similar to this but starting from 3 Points TH a few years ago. That section of SOT had heavy poodle dog on it, hopefully enough time has passed that it has died off. Though that might mean more hiker traffic on it.

10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Right now should be prime time for that section of SOT but it's getting overun with Covidiot hikers looking for somewhere to go. About 3 weeks ago I saw several hikers at the trailhead off the Pacifico road, decided to take the fireroad back down.

11. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Facing reality, you guys are out of my league!

12. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    @evdog & @rossage do you guys recommend riding fire road but to Pacifico and then taking SOT to Mt Hillyer and then doing the standard Chilao? Then riding firewood back to SOT, then take it down to Mill Creek? Never ridden the Pacifico to Hilyer section.

13. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    If you could hit that section of SOT late afternoon/evening or on a weekday when fewer people are out I'd say go for it. But I wouldn't ride a section of SOT known to have lots of hikers on it at prime time on a weekend. Especially if you are with a big group. You're just drawing unnecessary attention when you should be trying to be discrete about it. SOT on the other side of Pacifico saddle down to Mill Creek summit will likely have fewer hikers but probably more than it would during normal times. FWIW the Pacifico to Hillyer section is one of only two spots I've ever gotten reamed out. You don't know what you're going to come across these days....

14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Exactly. Best on a weekday with a small squad.
    The trail doesn't bring you over to Hillyer. It will take you to 3 Points and from there you can get on the Silver Mocassin.

15. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Dr. Wellington Yueh Member

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    Ideally, just mention 'some extra credit available' in the post. When it comes time to take that less traveled way, allow the group to split. Anyone reading 'extra credit' in the post would know upfront that the ride involves possible Hanky Panky or Type II Fun.

Also, there are LOTS of people out right now, weekdays. I've been encountering 3+ trail runners on my recent Chilao rides, and people parked at Three Points (uncommon on weekdays). Lots of cars parked at Charlton, and 60-80 cars parked from Clear Creek thru Colby Cyn Tr. There was a small tent encampment on the highway near Islip Saddle for SOT'ers who skipped the high snows.

"Watch the po-lice and the tax man miss me, I'm MOBILE!"

16. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    You should have seen the beer drinking debate we had in my driveway about what to ride on Saturday.:confused: There was some beer induced smack talk going on and my wife was entertained.:Roflmao

17. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Not going there tonight. There is a good 45 minute climb tomorrow to continue... See you guys in the morning. I am sure everyone who shows will enjoy the loop

18. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Oh bullsh!t I followed you last weekend. Join us dude this ain’t gonna be hammerhead(well except for the downhill stuff). I know it’s early but you can do it...:rolleyes:

19. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

That was the first climb, after that you guys spent most of the day waiting for me. Hopefully TTB will show and can defend you guys from all the pissed off hikers! I gotta work tomorrow. Have fun!

20. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Hmmm, the teenager needs to get out out the house. Would be new dirt for him, well some at least. Plus Hillyer always rocks! Been ages since I've SOT'd from Pacifico to Hillyer. PD was present but this was years ago. Put us down for a strong maybe.

21. furball

furball Member

Name:
    furball
    Silly me, get everything ready yesterday, check the post for location & sadly I see I missed my 1st ride with you all. Did a Brown & El P run, sure is nice out. Catch ya soon.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?