Mein verdämmter Volkswagen...

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Faust29, Sep 22, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    We officially no longer have a VW......buyback happened today. Took about 20 minutes just like they said it would. A couple of signatures and they handed us a check. :thumbsup:

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Nice... My diesel just took another road trip to San Francisco... "To visit an amazing girl." I think we're going to see just how many miles we can rack up before we sell it back. :thumbsup:

3. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    I hope mine goes like that on the 20th.

Sasquatch9billion and mtnbikej like this.
  4. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    Heck I already have 110,000 on my 2013.

Sasquatch9billion and Faust29 like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    My wife had 15750 on her 2015. :thumbsup:

Basically they verified the mileage, took a picture....they are not allowed to test drive them. Signed over the Power of Attorney, mileage statement and gave us a check. Silly simple.

We live in Orange, but went down to Capistrano VW since we were able to get a closer date. VW of Orange had no openings til the 15th at the earliest.

Sasquatch9billion and Faust29 like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ours is a 14 and we're at 100,000.

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  7. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    Nice, I would have more but I quit driving form temecula to Coronado every day about a year and a half ago.

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Looks like I am just as guilty as my wife was :

EPA: Fiat Chrysler used software to cheat on emissions tests

The Environmental Protection Agency accused Fiat Chrysler Thursday of using software that enabled some of its diesel trucks to cheat on emissions tests. The company denied those accusations, saying its software meets regulatory requirements.

The vehicles involved were the 2014 to 2016 model year Dodge Ram 1500 pickup trucks and Jeep Grand Cherokees with 3.0-liter diesel engines. The allegations affect roughly 104,000 vehicles, EPA officials said.

Janet McCabe, head of EPA’s Office of Air and Radiation, said “no immediate actions are necessary” for owners of the vehicles targeted under Thursday’s action, and assured owners that those vehicles “continue to be safe and legal to drive.”

The software allowed the vehicles to emit more nitrogen oxide than is allowed under the Clean Air Act, officials said. The alleged scheme was brought to light after the EPA expanded its vehicle testing to look for so-called defeat devices in September 2015 following a similar scandal at Volkswagen.

“Failing to disclose software that affects emissions in a vehicle’s engine is a serious violation of the law, which can result in harmful pollution in the air we breathe,” Cynthia Giles, Assistant Administrator for EPA’s Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance, said in a statement.

Fiat Chrysler officials denied those claims in a statement Thursday. Every automaker must use “various strategies” to reduce tailpipe emissions without compromising the durability and performance of its engines, FCA said, adding its emission control system complies with necessary requirements.

The company also said it has offered to make extensive changes to its software to address EPA concerns.

“FCA U.S. intends to work with the incoming administration to present its case and resolve this matter fairly and equitably and to assure the EPA and FCA U.S. customers that the company’s diesel-powered vehicles meet all applicable regulatory requirements,” the company said in a statement.

The news caused Fiat Chrysler’s stock price to drop more than 13 percent in trading Thursday morning.

EPA officials said on a call Thursday that they are looking into whether other automakers may be using similar devices.

“We continue to investigate the nature and impact of these devices,” Giles said in a statement. “All automakers must play by the same rules, and we will continue to hold companies accountable that gain an unfair and illegal competitive advantage.”

The agency’s move is similar to the initial steps it took at the start of the German automaker Volkswagen emissions scandal, which eventually lead to about $20 billion in fines and charges against seven employees over the course of the last year and a half. Federal prosecutors announced a settlement that forced Volkswagen to plead guilty to defrauding regulators and consumers, a rare admission of criminal wrongdoing for a large corporation.

“Once again, a major automaker made the business decision to skirt the rules and got caught,” California Air Resources Board Chair Mary D. Nichols said in a statement. “CARB and U.S. EPA made a commitment to enhanced testing as the Volkswagen case developed, and this is a result of that collaboration.”

Advocacy groups were quick to praise the announcement as yet another sign of regulators holding corporations accountable.

“As polluter lobbyists mass at the gates of Congress and the White House, this case underscores the critical importance of keeping the environmental cop on the beat,” said Frank O’Donnell, president of the advocacy group Clean Air Watch. “Otherwise, the breathing public could be harmed, and consumers scammed.”

9. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I saw in the news that 6 VW employees have been indicted. They didn't mention who/what positions. Probably make some mid to low level guys the fall guys when this had to go all the way to the top or at least really close.
    Might actually be more people do time for this than the banking crisis.

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    There was a small study of Mercedes, GM and Fiat diesels right after the VW scandal broke, and they concluded that all 3 were skirting the rules and disabling emissions controls at times.

VW was the most egregious, and first to get caught...

Cyclotourist likes this.
  11. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I can't see it either... Private?

mtnbikej likes this.
  14. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Darn, let's see if this works (I am not good at uploading photos)
    VW.jpg

OTHRider, herzalot, RS VR6 and 6 others like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    All these thousands and hundreds of thousands of miles traveled, and you still ride the same few trails every week. Take your bikes along and spread those wings.

jaime likes this.
  16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  17. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark

Love this commercial, and the car looks pretty sweet, gasoline!!!

Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  18. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Herz,
    Did you here about a recall on some Audi Q's??

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yes - I got a notice. Something about the fuel system. I've already had it repaired at Audi to the tune of about $1k a year ago. I will see if I can recoup the cost somehow.

Cyclotourist, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

This won't be as large as the diesel issue, but it's still bad... The good news is that the emissions system works perfectly as long as you don't turn the steering wheel more than 15 degrees from center! Drive straight roads and you're fine...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/anothe...is-time-on-audi-gasoline-and-diesel-vehicles/

21. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Did you here VW is #1 world wide sales. I hear they are huge in China.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    They are getting a not so free boost in sales.

A lot of diesel buyback customers are buying new VW's

Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  23. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And it looks like a concrete step forward for the 3.0 liter V-6 diesels used in the VW Touareg, Audi Q7, and Porsche Cayenne... Boy am I glad we went with the gas Touareg. One diesel issue was enough.

Link to original article at CBS News...

VW agrees to another massive pay-out in dirty diesel scandal
    AP February 1, 2017, 4:22 AM

FRANKFURT, Germany -- Volkswagen has agreed to pay at least $1.2 billion in buybacks and compensation to settle claims from U.S. owners of cars with larger diesel engines rigged to cheat on emissions tests.

The proposed settlement filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in San Francisco covers some 75,000 Audi, Volkswagen and Porsche cars with 3.0-liter diesel engines.

Owners of older models that cannot be fixed to meet pollution standards will be offered buybacks and compensation. People with cars that can be fixed will get compensation of up to $16,114 -- if VW can come up with a fix by an agreed deadline. If not, buybacks could push the cost as high as $4.04 billion.

Volkswagen has already agreed on a settlement for some 500,000 smaller, 2.0 liter diesel engines.

mtnbikej likes this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  26. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    That makes sense.

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And as of today, we no longer have the diesel... Almost 100,000 miles, and still on its original tires and brakes. I was a little sad to see it go. 50 mpg and low maintenance? Hard to beat...

Hopefully the replacement that we bought a month ago holds up equally as well...

28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Regardless of what they've done ethically, the Volkswagen has always been a great vehicle. Ever since Ferdinand Porsche was forced by Hitler to come up with it. :whistling:

Best bumper sticker ever, on the back of a VW bug: "You have been Volkswagened! Passed by 40 horsepower!!"

DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  30. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Faust29 likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?