Mammoth work and ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by CBone, Jul 21, 2018.

1. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    The boss "made" me go to Mammoth to work for a couple of days this week. As usual I take the bike and try to sneak in a ride or two. No Lower Rock Creek ride this time. Too hot and I've decided to be a little more careful especially on solo rides in remote places.

Arrived Wed. evening and it was really hazy with smoke from the Yosemite fire. My wife was wishing she had stayed home because she goes for the views. It was getting late and didn't have much time to ride. I might have had my wife shuttle me up near the main lodge and jumped on Downtown. Not much of a challenge but needed some singletrack.

The elevation really bothered me on this trip and I don't know why. I have been to Mammoth many times and sometimes it is fine. I've done a bunch of climbing there before and the air is a little thin but I chose to shuttle this time because I didn't adjust this well this time.

A friend of mine, Jarod, was in Mammoth for a family reunion. I shot him a text to see if he was interested in trying mtb for the first time. He was excited to give it a try. I figured that he would do ok because he rode a lot of bmx back in the day and he is half my age and also in shape. We had it all set up for Thursday afternoon after I was done with work. He would rent a bike and we would do my usual ride.

Thursday was cloudy and in the afternoon a steady rain started to fall. Jarod and I decided to cancel. I didn't want his first time to be miserable, muddy and wet. I stayed at work and got some stuff done. Meanwhile the clouds started to clear out and by the time I was done with work it was a clear as a bell. All the smoke was gone too.

I geared up and the wife dropped me off at Horseshoe Lake. I did Horseshoe Lake Jamb. This is not the paved bike path but it is very easy but beautiful ride around the lake. Even has a stream crossing.

Lake Jamb joins the paved lake road by Mamie.
    Mamie.JPG

Took off down the road to access Lower Panorama. It starts out with some nice berms and through some big trees. Very short at .4 mi. but awesome fun.

Lower Panorama.jpeg

From there it was on to Mammoth Rock Trail. Best free trail I have found in the Mammoth area. It traverses across the slope below Mammoth Rock. Expansive views to the east with the town laid out in the valley below. Looking back you get a view of Mammoth Mountain.

The RockThe Rock.JPG The Rock.JPG
    Looking the other way
    Town.jpeg

Golden Hour. Perfect light for taking pictures. Wish I still had a good camera but cell phone cams are getting better all the time. Wouldn't really want to ride with a 35 mm camera anyway.
    Golden Light.jpeg

Timer shot

timer.png

More trail shotsLooking Back.jpeg Shade Trail.jpeg

I found a new trail that cuts off of Mammoth Rock called Meadow Connector. It was just built last year. Great trail that is completely different from the Rock trail which is pretty much just a traverse. Meadow starts off with more of a fall line descent. A couple of steep sections with sharp berms and a switchback or two. Then some fun challenges with rocks and roots both climbing and descending. No real climbing on this part just some quick ups that require some momentum and a few well timed pedal strokes. Some nice trail building where they tried to find roots and rocks to route the trail over.

This is a rock roll near where the trail mellows out a bit.

Rock Roll.png

This trail makes the most of the elevation as the lower section gets flowish as it drops below the trees. It then climbs a knoll with some easy switchbacks and a mild climb to a nice curvy drop to the valley floor. A short cruise on a dirt road to pavement and you are back to town. If I had continued on the Mammoth Rock Trail I would have been slogging along in deep sand where the horses and erosion have blown out the trail.

That night I called Jarod to see if he might want to give it a shot in the next morning. He said he would check with the women folk - smart man. Texted back quickly and it was on. It would extend my work day but I wanted to share the trail with someone.

Met Jarod at Footloose bike rental at 8:AM. They hooked him up with a Specialized Stumpy, with a dropper even. Nice bike for for $40 half day rental. We did the same loop. I wanted to see how he would do on the easy stuff before we got to the Rock Trail. I figured we would skip the more tech section of the Meadow Connector.

He took to it right away. Liked the stability and full squish of a real mountain bike compared to a bmx. He did awesome and kept right up. He did so well that we ended up riding the tech section after all. He followed me and I kept thinking "oh, he might have a problem with this part" but he cleaned everything.

He loved every minute of it. I think he might be looking at bikes soon.

Still dresses like a bmx rider.

Jarod Rock.JPG

Had a big smile on his face the whole ride. I think he liked it.

Jarod Smile.JPG

Too short and it was over. I had to get back to work. I wish I could share this ride with more people. @Mikie , heal up and ride this with me!
    Thanks Jarod.

Strava screen shot in case you are interested.

IMG_2633.PNG

Thanks for putting up with the long report. Not too exotic or epic and I have posted about this area before. Still lots of fun.
    image1.jpeg

Attached Files:

Marty657, mike, Redman and 25 others like this.
  2. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Thanks for the great pics. Love those trails!! Meadow connector sounds like a winner!!

3. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Some great pics!:thumbsup:

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    What do you mean long report!?!? I didn’t want it to end!!!
    Fantastic report and your phone takes awesome pics. You have a good eye for pic content.
    Thanks so much for taking the timed pics to include you. It adds so much to the report and overall.

Class act taking the kid out. We always want to share how awesome our sport is plus we need those new advocates, right?

When I’m healed up, I’m going with you. I need a good tour guide for Mammoth. Been almost 2 decades since I have REALLY rode there.
    Thanks for all of this!

5. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    IMTB Trip!!

6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    @CBone, you should give that boss a Christmas bonus! :thumbsup:

Nice ride report and photos, as always. I like the one "Looking the other way," out past Mammoth to the Glass Mountains with the Whites in the background. So much to see and do there. A drive around the Glass Mountains is highly recommended for the amazing geography and views, so different from Mammoth itself.

Glad you were able to ride despite the high elevation issues. Sounds like Mammoth Rock trail was a good call. That's a classic Mammoth shuttle for skiers and boarders, too, for climbing the Sherwins and descending from rider's right. It might be worth checking out sometime if you feel like scrambling up to the ridge top and taking a look around. Once the initial climb is out of the way, it's a mostly gradual, easy hike on a wide ridge, eventually topping out at Pyramid Peak for more outstanding views (including MMSA).

Good work with and by Jarod! What a great intro to mtb!

Love all the photos, and that last shot of the Minarets is icing on the cake!

Tom the Bomb, UPSed, CBone and 2 others like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Put it together.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, kioti and 2 others like this.
  8. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Meadow is great. If I remember right you and @Maddog have ridden Mammoth Rock before. You should get back up there and give Meadow a try.

Tom the Bomb, Maddog, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  9. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    If I remember right Mammoth is your old stomping grounds isn't it? There sure are a lot of things to see and do close by. Like you said there is a lot of interesting and varied geography in the area.
    I need to do a little hiking some day. The view from the ridge above Mammoth Rock would be amazing for sure.
    On Friday afternoon we headed down to Bishop. On the drive my wife pointed out that the Whites looked like they had snow on them. Some friends in Bishop told us that they had a big storm on Thursday. So it was snow, or probably hail.

Mikie, mountaingirl sara and kioti like this.
  10. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    It would be a great place for a IMTB trip! Ride Mammoth rock and some of the other trails one day, get a pass for the mountain the next and ride Lower Rock Creek on the third day. Condos are relatively cheap in the off season too.
    I hear that Mammoth bike park still has a pedal pass that gives you access to all the trails you can pedal to. It is much cheaper than the lift pass. That ought to keep the 5,000 ft.+ climbing folks happy.

scan, Maddog, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  11. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Thanks Mikie. I was hoping that the report would entertain you a bit. I think reading the ride reports on here is almost the next best thing to riding.
    By the way, I saw Jarod and his wife today at church. He says he wants to ride with his son some day. His wife told me he had a great time and laughed when she said that this could get expensive.

Voodoo Tom, kioti, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  12. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    It would be fun to ride with you in Mammoth @Mikie , but don't make me do Kamakaze trail :gag:
    Did you race Kamakaze? And, what years did you race up there?

kioti, Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  13. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Thanks. The lighting was perfect for taking pictures. Couldn't take a bad one.

kioti, Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  14. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Yes, many years there, so those shots of yours resonate. Didn't really start mountain biking until I moved back to OC @ 1999 though, so it's cool to see bikes on trails I ran on or skied over. :thumbsup:

CBone and Mikie like this.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    I never did the Kamakaze, I had no interest what so ever in that. I did do the Expert XC’s however in ‘94, ‘95, & ‘96. I took 10th each race, seemed I was cursed to be the bottom of Top 10 in Mammoth and Big Bear.... :)

16. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    The first time I took my family to Mammoth for a vacation there was some big bike race going on up on the mountain. That would have been about the same year you were racing up there. I should have gone to watch you race.

kioti and Mikie like this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Hah! I was a small fry in a very big pan.

18. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer

Because I had a request I attached the gpx file to the original ride report.
    I'll post it here too.

Attached Files:

Mikie and Poofighter like this.
  19. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    My boss put in the doghouse as well and sent me to Mammoth to do my time. The only bad thing was the Ferguson Fire that I have been keeping an eye on since last week, hoping it would be extinguished by Tuesday.

When I saw @CBone post this up and approximately how long it took I knew this would fit the bill as we had a dinner meeting set for 530. Just before the 203 exit for Mammoth I saw what looked to be another fire just starting due to lightning strikes. Rolled into town just after 3:00, got checked in and headed out to do a quickie. Had to do a slight variation of CBones route, due to no shuttle. Pedaled up Lake Mary Road from the Hotel and noticed a sh!tload of ebikes in both directions. Had a slight hint of smoke in the air, but not too bad.

Looking toward the newly started fire which turned into the Owens Fire
    20180731_160140.jpg

Check the signage @Mikie Ebikes prohibited for those with bad eyes
    20180731_161318.jpg

20180731_162020.jpg

20180731_162426.jpg

20180731_162411.jpg

Can you spot the deer?
    20180731_163142.jpg

Mammoth Rock Trail was flowy with a little bit of chunk and only 1 hiker.
    20180731_163758.jpg

Owens Fire and 2 water dropping planes headed for it
    20180731_164919.jpg

The next day the smoke was so thick you couldn't see the mountains. I wanted to do another lap, but it wasn't meant to be. Oh well, drinking beers at Mammoth Brewery it is.
    20180801_133542.jpg

Thanks for the GPX file CBone!

LLPoolJ, mike, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  20. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Awesome @Poofighter . Glad you were able to get out there and ride. Nice pics too.
    I hadn't heard about the new fire. :(
    Yes, the ebikes are everywhere. I noticed that there were new places to rent bikes this year. Never noticed them renting before but now they have ebikes.

LLPoolJ, Poofighter and kioti like this.