Making a list and checking it twice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blixet, Nov 17, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Not for Christmas, for riding. I don't know if it is those pesky amyloid tangles that creep up with the years or just regular CRS, but the post-it is becoming an important tool in my kit. :coffee: Today I got half way to Bonelli Park and remembered that I forgot to snatch my gloves on the way out. It's not so bad when I am riding out the front gate; if I have forgotten my helmet or sunglasses or shoes, whatever, I can run back in and am no worse for wear. Fortunately, or not, I rarely have to drive anywhere to ride. Even for morning time, it was a little warm out in the sun today so I noticed my hands were a little sweaty without gloves. Felt a bit odd because I am used to riding decked out a certain way but not a big deal, a least not like I only had flip flops. :confused:

2. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I have two bags I take with me when I ride; my hydration pack and my Go Bag™.

My Go Bag has everything that isn't in my hydration pack that I need for riding when I'm driving to a location to ride, or to store between rides. MTB shoes, gloves (short fingered and long), arm/leg warmers, elbow and knee pads, garmin, HRM, Road ID, balaclava, sunscreen, halo head band thingy, etc.

So when I load up the truck, I check for my bike, my helmet, my water bottle, and that there are two bags in my truck. My wife gave me the idea of the Go Bag™ and it's been extremely valuable in having things at the trailhead that I would otherwise forget (I'm looking at you Mr. Sunscreen).

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I usually ride from home, so I don't leave the garage without having what I need.

Helps that I keep my shoes/helmet/tool next to the bike.....and I keep all my related clothing in corisponding drawers in the closet.

Now I have rolled away from the car on a few of the drive to rides and left my bottles sitting on the tailgate. Generally I just continued on, since it was on the cool side.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've got an equivalent of the Go Bag ever since I drove to GMR, for a 68 mile 10k foot gain ride, and realized as I started up Hwy 39 that I had forgotten my Gu and bananas in the truck.

That was a hungry ride.

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^+1 on @Cougar ^^^
    I grab and go on ride day. My Go Bag and my Camelbak.
    When I get back from my ride I rebuild my Go Bag. I start from bottom and work my way up:
    Go Bag:
    • Shoes
    • Socks
    • Leggings (Winter)
    • Shorts
    • Jersey
    • UV Sleeves (I H.A.T.E. sunscreen)
    • Jacket (Winter)
    • Gloves (Always fingered winter or summer)
    • Glasses (Clear and Shaded)
    • Headband (Halo Skull cap)
    • Helmet
    • T-Shirt to change in to from a sweaty jersey
    Camelbak:
    • All the stuff for the trail.
    • Winter time I carry my leggings and Jacket all the time even on nice days.
    Food:
    • I adapted REAL fast to Tailwinds, so I now carry two bottles. One on the bike and one in my Camelbak. I switch them out when the bottle is empty on the bike. I carry a couple of food bars just in case, but I have stopped eating on the trail and I really dig that!

6. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    The go bag sounds like a good idea, but I'd probably forget it.
    I created 3 checklists in Evernote:
    Pre ride checklist contains all the stuff I should have done before I even open the garage, much of it the night before. Things like "tools in pack", sag checked, chain lubed, lights charge.

Car check list: to be completed only after the ore ride checklist is done. Lists all the things that should be done before getting in the car's sunscreen, helmet, shoes, hydration pack ... All the stuff that I've managed to forget on prior rides.

Final checklist: those last few things that can/have get forgotten. Start GPS, Start Strava, tighten shoes, and just added 2 weeks ago "Helmet on Head".
    As my mother always told me; "you would forget your head if it wasn't attached"

7. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I have a gobox and camelback that I always bring but still need a sticky note on the fridge to calm an anxiety that has developed as I age. My son forced me to write the note but it has helped tremendously.

Danmtchl, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have a very old Intense gear bag and keep everything from summer and winter items(gloves, base layer shirts, etc). I keep my shoes and helmet in their compartments. I keep the bag under my seat at all times along with my Camelbak. When something gets used and washed, I immediately gets put back into the bag. I would like to update my bag. Been checking out a few bags from Fly Racing lately. Maybe it can be a Christmas gift to myself.

9. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I keep my helmet, gloves, hydration pack, and shoes all on one rack. I'll throw a Clif Bar and a pack of gummies into the hydration pack when I fill the bladder.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Advanced case: Forgetting that you remembered something.

Yea, I red about it.

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    One time I started my ride and then realized I was walking.

12. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I keep a spare set of gloves and a spare pair of bike socks (often wear flip flops to the trail head) in the truck in case they are forgotten. It's helped.
    I have forgotten my pack on more than occasion. I chose to go anyway and enjoyed not having the weight. '80s revisited. Of course a flat would have sucked.

Mikie, Danmtchl, GregMiester and 2 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I forget my pack... Every single ride! Doh! ;)

I ride from the house most days, and all of my stuff is in the same spot. Clothes in the same drawer, bottles in the same cupboard, Tailwind in the same spot, etc... It's muscle memory to get ready... Now, if one of the kids moves my helmet 5 feet, I'd probably never find it... o_O

When I have to drive to a ride, I pack the car the night before, and double check it in the morning- But only after the caffeine system is primed and the eyeballs are properly focused. I keep a note on my phone of all the things that should be in the car: tools, floor pump, bike, both tires, lube, sunscreen, helmet, shoes, Garmin, bottles, Tailwind. :alien:

Mikie, Danmtchl, GregMiester and 2 others like this.
  14. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Have a go bag that has the basics I need. check tire air pressure, toss the Camelbak and the bag in the car and I'm off.

I also do a mental checklist before I drive off so seldom forget things. I'd say the one thing I forget most is the Cell phone. As the ringer is turned off while riding anyway it is typically a non-issue.

Now going to the grocery store, loading the cart then realizing I forgot my wallet....that's never happened:whistling:

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    First - it appears that Go Bag is a registered trademark belonging to Cougar. Those of you who used the term owe him royalties. Dammit - I used it, so now I owe him. :mad:

I once forgot my bike. Luckily, I only drove two miles before I realized it. True story! o_O

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cougar and 2 others like this.
  16. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I was actually at Bonelli* today, there for a Yeti demo at Incycle, and I found that I grabbed 2 right handed gloves (I rotate between 2 sets of the same model gloves). So I rode MJ style with just 1, noticing how sweaty and dirty my left hand got, compromising the grip. I generally have a spot for everything, and have everything in its spot, but I just happened to have the 2 sets side by side, stacked, and got unlucky. :D

Tends to be the non-normal stuff I forget. Things I don't tend to have for every ride, such as lights, battery, bandana, sun sleeves, camera, night-time eyewear (which I sadly lost).

*First time there. Couldn't find any decent technically challenging trails there. Raging Hill was probably the only real descent I rode. The Yeti that I was on was sad.

Mikie, Danmtchl and GregMiester like this.
  17. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    Nothing there really is too technical. It's a good place to get a workout in and de-stress.

Mikie, Varaxis and Danmtchl like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You need a line item for tires? Do you bring them separately, then mount them to your rims at the trailhead? That's very difficult - especially if you run tubeless. Try leaving them on your wheels after your next ride! :thumbsup: :whistling: ;)

Mikie, GregMiester, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Oh, the tires are on the wheels, but I have been known to leave the front one in the garage...

I take off at least the front wheel and put the bike in the back of the VW... The "how to put a tire on" thread has come in quite handy for this! I also offered to pull it up as a reference for Mtnbikej when he flatted on Eagle, but he chose to live dangerously, and reafix the tire without the guide.

Mikie, herzalot, GregMiester and 2 others like this.
  20. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Made it all the way to the beach once without my surfboard (30+ miles) and more than once turned around after a few miles when I realized it wasn't in the SUV right next to me!

Mikie, herzalot, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Go ahead....always making fun of the flat guy. :oops:

Mikie, Danimal, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  22. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Every pair of gloves I own is in different color for that exact reason.

Mikie likes this.
  23. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I took my bike to Mammoth once, in a Miata. The only way I could get the wheels in the trunk was to remove the tires. But that was before tubeless became a thing...

More on topic, my routine is to leave most everything in the truck, with extras and backups in a cardboard box. Only time I've forgotten anything is if I get out of the routine (taking the wife's car, re-gluing shoes and then leaving them in the garage next ride, stuff like that). One time I rode in my slide sandles on SPD pedals, it sucked.

Mikie, Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  24. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    A pre-packed Go bag is a great idea for a lot of people. But if you are like me and either forgetful, disorganized or not diligent in re-organizing right after a ride it might not work.

For me, the only thing that works is to go through a mental checklist as I pack, and everything goes in the truck right then. I go through everything from feet up to helmet, followed by pack contents and camping gear if needed. Socks- check. Shoes, check. Etc....

This way I know everything is there as I drive away, and I seldom forget things. If I pack too far ahead of time and a go bag sits in the garage it is inevitable something important gets taken out and forgotten.

Out of sight, out of mind. My most often forgotten item is sandwich which is usually sitting in the fridge rather than the truck.

HBkites, UPSed, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  25. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    +1 on the gear bag. I bought a motorcycle dirtbiking gear bag and just leave it in my truck. It has separate compartments built in for your helmet shoes, clothes and accessories. It even has a mat to stand on while changing. I have everything in it.
    Multi pairs of gloves
    Spare jerseys
    Helmet
    2 pairs of shoes
    Hard and soft Pads
    Glasses
    Lubes
    Pumps
    Cold weather gear
    Tubes

I had a girlfriend that refused to put together a bag. Inevitably, she would always be forget something or be rushing around trying to get her stuff together just before the ride and can't find something.

Mikie likes this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I leave my tool bag and floor pump in my car. All other gear and clothing comes out, lest it stink up said vehicle. As a skier, then surfer, hockey player and mt. biker - all equipment and clothing-intensive sports, I cannot remember leaving anything behind - ever. No boots, skates, pads, gloves, helmets, sticks, skis, shoes, socks, towels, backpacks, wetsuits, wax - whatever. In fact, I usually bring extras. I'm kinda paranoid that way. Yay me!

OK, as mentioned above, I did forget my bike once - but only for a few miles.

Mikie likes this.
  27. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    +1 on the pump and I take it one step farther and have a Lezyne Shock floor pump also. So I have 2 pumps under the seat along with a bag and camelbak. Like some people I prepare the night before, so I have the bike in the back of the truck ( I park in the garage) and make sure everything is there.

I drove once to do Just Outstanding and forgot my shoes. Just went to Greenhorn grill and had a good meal.

Runs with Scissors likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?