Los Piños Ridge the hard way

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mike, Mar 1, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hard for me, anyway...

I've done it a few times – up Trabuco, over LPR and back via San Juan/Main Divide. This time was not so different – a mix of giggly fun, sight seeing and beat down. I set out at first light and blasted it to LP Peak. From there to near the end of LPR trail I snapped pix for your enjoyment...

LosP2-28-16_1.jpg

An hour and half in, a break with some sammies my neighbor made for us.

LosP2-28-16_2.jpg

Clouds keeping the morning cool.

LosP2-28-16_4.jpg

One rad-looking peak along the ridge – welcome to the HAB.

Sensory delight…

LosP2-28-16_5.jpg

LosP2-28-16_6.jpg

LP Peak in the background...

LosP2-28-16_7.jpg

LosP2-28-16_8.jpg

LosP2-28-16_10.jpg

The worst rut.

LosP2-28-16_11.jpg

Rare cruiser terrain.

LosP2-28-16_12.jpg

Not cruiser.

LosP2-28-16_13.jpg

Bobcat litterbox.

LosP2-28-16_14.jpg

Remnants of features litter the ridge.

LosP2-28-16_15.jpg

Pics never capture the feeling of rolling up on the tough sections. One time I clipped my bar on the tree on the left, breaking the branch (and thankfully not myself as I took the digger). That's why there's space there now.

LosP2-28-16_16.jpg

Peering down into Hot Springs Canyon.

LosP2-28-16_17.jpg

More short-lived mellow terrain.

LosP2-28-16_18.jpg

This is the trail (looking back); a fun surprise hiding behind a corner.

LosP2-28-16_19.jpg

Typical Loose Piños.

Switchbacks; some with consequence...

LosP2-28-16_20.jpg

LosP2-28-16_21.jpg

Finally busting way to many steps reaching Lazy W Ranch.

LosP2-28-16_22.jpg

My absolute favorite section I did not photograph. It’s an attention-getting rocky switchback into an equally-rocky straight section, all next to a decent drop off. I could see and hear the workers down in LWR, so did not want to be seen documenting their back yard.

That concluded the fun. From San Juan TH on, I continued to lose steam. The wall on Main Divide was an exercise in pain – even walking. The shocker was, going so damn slow on the way up and getting close to my good times on the route. Finished at 8:45; ±32 miles and 7800’ el. gain.

Another one lived through…and on to the next.

abuck55, MattB, Andy and 23 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Well done Mike.

Best thing about these kinds of rides, is no matter how beat down you are, you can always find that little extra in the tank, and the sense of accomplishment at the end.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Awesome... I think. ;)
    I assume you posted pics, but I can't see them at work. So you must have posted them in a "special" way.
    See it when I get home! :thumbsup:

rossage and mike like this.
  4. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    mike, thanks for the pictures.. b/c of your inspiration I went back to the main divide on Monday... up Trabuco creek ... it seemed rockier than usual and since I was going so slow, a bug halo followed.... still beautiful up there... some wild flowers, turkey, mule deer hopping, but still no running water at WHT/ Trabuco junction... not a soul on main divide... just looked at LP and laughed!! Your a beast!!!
    what do you like best going up, Holy Jim, Trabuco, WHT ??

5. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Awesome pics, Thx

Mikie and mike like this.
  6. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    pictures from main divide, via Trabuco....

Mikie likes this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks, J, but I have to say I was on fumes like I haven't been in a long time. Eh, I guess we really don't know the size of our reserve tank. If I did I would be dead. :eek:

Mikie, I got the "reset" message a couple times today. Bad internet day? Restart cures everything?

kona, you got a sweet run in...hard to go wrong as long as you get out with a good 'tude. You got that part wired! I'll never get tired of climbing HJ and TC. WHT, nah. It's a nice hiking trail up for me. HJ is a chill way to get to MD – TC is a workout every time for me. Always tough, but sometimes faster than others. If I can do it with fewer than ten dabs, I've had a good climb.

Tom the Bomb, ridinrox, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    :ninja::thumbsup:

Mikie and mike like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I think I had more than 10 dabs just to the first open section past the WH turnoff yesterday.

Nice ride!

10. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Killer ride mike (thankfully not literal). TFPU pics.
    I think we joked one time, "only ten dabs, at 10 minutes each..."

11. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    faust 29... was that you going up Trabuco creek before WHT turn off? Did you see the "wild" turkey? I was the guy on a blue Pivot, said hello and "... sure is rocky today..." .. having posting pictures issues...

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    I noticed that too. It may be time to upgrade Server space and speed. We be growing in Member and Guest use....

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TIA for keeping us in ship shape here, Captain :thumbsup: I probably hog ten user's worth of bandwidth... :unsure:

konakc, what's it doing or not doing? If your pic is posted on a server like those I linked above, you add [img ] before the address and [/img ] after (remove the extra space I put between brackets). Or you can "Upload a File" from your computer...wait for it to show up in the little window with the button that sez "place full size" or something like that. It might take a minute. Be sure that your photos are not gigantic. Less than 1MB should be a sufficiently large file. The ones I posted above are like 500-600k.

I think there are some more accurate and detailed instructions on the site somewhere...I looked briefly.

Mikie likes this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    That was me... I did a quick run from the house. :) I didn't see the turkey... A couple deer just before the WH junction.

Mikie likes this.
  15. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Back country at it's best!!

TFPU...You're one lucky bastard to have that in your backyard. :inlove:

16. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Man I gotta hit this up soon these threads are getting me stoked...but wild turkeys? I don't know ' bout that. I'd be more paranoid about them than a mountain lion.

mike likes this.
  17. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Mike what is the the trail or turnoff LP to go to Lazy ranch? I rode that about trail about 10 years ago and really dug it. The steps and all.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Tom, LPR trail itself peels off the ridge onto a side ridge, so there really is no turnoff. There probably is a faint trail that continues out LP Ridge proper (like every ridge out there), but I've never taken note of where it might split. The part of the trail you rode has the biggest concentration of technical riding. The part from the peak to where it peels off the ridge is where most of the HAB is. Let me know when you wanna come down and bag the whole thing.:thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  19. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    Sort of like when Mallory was famously quoted as having replied to the question "Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?" with the retort "Because it's there", which has been called "the most famous three words in mountaineering".

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I've said it before, if you don't push yourself beyond your limits from time to time, you will never truly discover what your limits are. Our bodies are much more capable than our minds allow them to be.

21. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Thanks for taking the time to snap pics so I could mentally ride that with you! It really is a PITA to take pics on a ride sometimes, and I appreciate your doing so.

That ride is on my bucket list.

mike likes this.
  22. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    holyjim.jpg maindivtrabuco.jpg
    It worked!! file was just too large before... turkey was gobbling around the holy jim parking lot... main divide at Trabuco/LP intersections.. beautiful day!
    So that's not a wild turkey is it?

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yay, konakc...closet tech wizard. :sneaky:

Yes, Tom T. is wild in every sense. If he didn't make it apparent, he loves to screw with mountain bikers. I'm surprised he made it through Thanksgiving (and hungry lions)... His mate is usually around. I saw a group of half a dozen last year down by the new bridge – had no idea before that that they were out there.

Don't forget to check out Pione, the peackock who hangs out at HJ cabin 17. He'll be on the porch making eyes at his reflection in the door panes or up in the tree there. On the left as you head up canyon. He loves nuts and seeds, btw.

knucklebuster likes this.
  24. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Let's eat that Turkey! Roast @mike 's house!

Runs with Scissors and mike like this.
  25. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    To a certain degree you are correct, however, one must learn to understand our own mental limits first, the danger is when our physical body begins to shut down and we continue at the cost of permanent damage....like death. I'll give you my example, I'll go up a steep long hill, get tired and stop, I never waiver from my goal to finish but I do know that I need to stop and recoup before I continue, I try to improve on it but sometimes is not your day, other days you can. I think that is where nutrition begins to make a difference.

Cougar, DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  26. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    That turkey's coloration looks a little light to be purely wild. Season opens near the end of the month.

DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The mind can write checks the body can't cash. Conversely, sometimes we over-regulate ourselves.

I had no idea how many days in a row I could ride all day without a rest day. I had done less than ten in a row up to that point. To my surprise, I got to 30. Also to my surprise, I got completely shut down a few days later – thinking I could do it indefinitely. I had to take two rest days. 25 riding days later (including a few rest days), I was done with the ride and figured I was well on my way to recuperation. Wrong-o, I slacked on the hydration and nutrition while being sedentary and still went down hard – even harder than the first time. Hey, mind and body: Can ya get on the same page and just get along?!

28. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    For better or for worse, I doubt the Americas would have been reached by humans if they didn't smash their physical and mental limitations. I can think of much worse ways to die, such as getting plowed into by street racers while sitting on my ass on the road feathering a gas pedal and propelling thousands of pounds of steel and plastic with minimal physical exertion.

Runs with Scissors, mtnbikej and mike like this.
  29. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    just don't run out of water and know what heat exhaustion .. which can quickly lead to heat stroke and coma = death! If you stop sweating, loosing your coordination, not caring about pain... stop and find shade ...... its happened to all of us.. going on a long ride, the day getting hotter than expected.. running out of water... thinking.. ride just a little longer... the problem with heat exhaustion is that one of the things that goes first is your mental capacity to make logical decisions.... yes, beer will make it worse!!!

Louis Zegarra, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  30. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    It is imperative to incorporate mental equipment that facilitates logical decisions on every ride so that everyone is safe.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?