Lord of the Squirrels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtbMike, Jul 26, 2018.

1. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    This is apparently the new, must do Epic in Whistler. Darren, the healthy young lad in his 40’s, and I took a run at it this morning. It’s supposed to be 5000’ of climbing over 20+/- kilometers but it depends on where you start. Our ride ended up being 4400’ of climbing and 21.9 miles. Let’s just say the climbing is right up @Faust29, @mtnbikej and @UPSed book. The main climbing trail, Into the Mystic, was 5.3 miles and 3100’ of climbing. I didn’t ride it w/o stopping 3-4 times but was surprised it wasn’t as difficult as I expected. FWIW, I rode my Tracer with 2.5 tires.

Half way up, we were joined by a couple of 30 year old ladies who proceeded to take off with Darren and crush my ego along the way. Once you get up top, you’re in full open Alpine scenery and it’s stunning. I thought we were done climbing but the next trail, On the Rocks, still had 600+ over 2.2 miles. Aside from the snowbanks, I was able to clean that section. The scenery just got better.

Down Lord of the Squirrels was fantastic. 100% singletrack with rock, roots, drops, rollers, bridges in a dense forest. Probably the best trail I rode all week. The downside was I was operating at no more that 40-50% after being zapped by the climb and not eating enough. I must also say that on today’s ride, I have to backtrack on earlier statements on trail ratings as these blues were solid blacks and the black we took was double black terrain. @herzalot

All in all a great ride but have to admit it CRUSHED me. I’m hoping that was due to not eating properly on the ride. Real food is necessary. I also only brought water and should have had something else as well.

B4A1EA3A-8D5B-4AFF-9D02-99BBCF457275.jpeg

98E5C8CF-DDCC-46CA-9CAA-1598BAFED6EE.jpeg

CA7EE58E-F4E4-49A8-9759-5772CD7C17E3.jpeg

E3042FD4-ACAF-4C9F-8CC4-4FA67C9D3810.jpeg

76715744-8E7B-4B92-87D5-BB5FE98498B4.jpeg

8D2B364B-1AE5-42CE-A7EF-8DC0499ED584.jpeg

8D58B41C-24A6-40A5-8859-E6AD03699994.jpeg

2. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    @SoCal_Rider As I mentioned above, take REAL food. The locals say the lakes are so pure that you don’t need a filter. I believe them but none of us needed to fill up. I rode my Tracer and I’m glad I did because the top 2/3rds of LOTS was a legit black run. The Tracer and 2.5 tires were a blessing.

3. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    FYI you're dealing with members who swear they don't need no stinkin food if you use Tailwind:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Old&InTheWay, Maddog, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  4. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Lots of burning down here, you should just stay up there!! And parts of Hurkey burned again from some of the maps I've seen:(:(

Old&InTheWay, Maddog, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  5. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    I have to drive home right thru Redding which is about to get hit by a monster fire. It burned thru all the new Whiskeytown trails up there yesterday. I’m just hoping to get thru before they close the I-5

6. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2003 Giant Rainier
    I can only dream, though we can stay in a timeshare right in Whistler. Not sure whether I 'd go to ski or ridem

kioti, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Prior to this trip, I had only been to Whistler for winter activities. All I can say is the trails have been better than expected

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    That is amazing... The pictures with the lakes don't even look real.

9. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Another thing that is amazing - they allow you to ride bikes in a place like that!

kioti, mtbMike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  10. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Gosh dang...so beautiful!

kioti, mtbMike and Mikie like this.
  11. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V3, Ibis Tranny
    That looks awesome. I saw your ride hit Strava and thought that it was a good bit of climbing. Looks like you had a great trip. I’m not jealous, nope, not at all. :whistling:

12. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    @mtbMike Good info. Thanks. We decided to ride LOTS tomorrow. I just told my buddy we need to remember to bring proper supplies. It's gonna be BIG.

Today we did Squamish on bars and water. Sweated my ass off today. Cramped a bit on the drive back.

13. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    @mtbMike not sure if you'll get this in time, but where did you park and what route did you take to get to Into The Mystic?

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  14. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    PM sent

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  15. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    I can’t wait to ride this trail! Not sure when but it must be soon. Thanks for the report and glad you got to taste the goods!

16. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    wow.. Im jealous... now back to fully loop!

17. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    what do you think the difficulty factor compares to down here in OC? incomparable?

kioti and mountaingirl sara like this.
  18. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I rode LOTS today so I'll chime in. I'm not an OC local, but have ridden there a few times. For the climb, I'd say it's maybe comparable to riding up Holy Jim. My Strava cut out near the top today and at that point I had 11 mi and 4000 ft of climb. There was a fair amount of short downhills in the climb. If you're a decent climber you shouldn't have a problem.

The downhill is technical but rideable by a competent rider. The videos I watched beforehand made the downhill seem flowy. It is anything but. There are now roots and rocks everywhere. For an OC comparison I'd say maybe like 5 Oaks but 20-30 mins long.

Really the toughest parts of the ride were before Into the Mystic and after LOTS. The beginning climb had a HAB and the finish we did on Pura Vida was sketchy in spots.

kioti, konakc, Cisco Roots and 4 others like this.
  19. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    I absolutely loved the LOTS portion. We came down Pure Vida too. A couple of those sections could be named Holy Crap :eek: I was in a full blown controlled slide a few times

kioti, DangerDirtyD, konakc and 4 others like this.
  20. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Did someone say like 5 oaks but 20 to30 mins long... is anyone drooling?
    And in the forest!?

21. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Socal rider .. thanks for reply..
    Whistler... one of these days when kids dont need me...

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    5-Oaks has exactly two roots. I am guessing LotS has a few more. :sneaky:

23. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    A few thousand :eek: and rocks....rollers and chunk...super fun stuff IMO. One of the roots sections you came down a singletrack section and then had to use your momentum to shoot up a set of roots that literally ran parallel up the trail and WERE the whole trail at that point. I wanted to stop and take a photo but photos never due the pitch justice....plus I was having too much fun to stop. :D

24. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Herz..
    Can u imagine 5 oaks that kept on going...

mountaingirl sara, kioti and herzalot like this.
  25. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Just replace the braking bumps with roots...lots and lots of roots...and trees...and water...and lush greenery.

Obviously I was referring to 5 Oaks steepness and technical challenge. There is nothing in SoCal that even remotely directly compares to Whistler.

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I figured as much - and enjoyed your comparison! And I agree. There are gnarly steep and challenging trails in and near Laguna, but so very different than BC in terms of dirt, rocks, vegetation, trees, roots, rain etc. Oh - and length. Like x8.

27. kazlx

kazlx Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Spitfire
    Awesome pics. This trail is definitely on my bucket list. I might try to ride it next year when I'm up there. Had a Yeti reserved and everything set last year before I broke myself off. Everyone I talk to says it's a killer ride.

mtbMike and mountaingirl sara like this.