Loose Pinos October 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Scott Forty G., Oct 14, 2014.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Scott Forty G.

Scott Forty G. Newbie

Name:
    Scott Forty G.
    It's been well over a year since we last did Los Pinos and i have to say, this probably one of my favorite trails there in there area aside from Bell Canyon. Other than that, i'll probably have to explore some more in the Santa Anas. But for the loose techy bits, it's hard to beat it IMO.

I'm not much of an endurance junky and the fact of the matter is i hate climbing. But i do them all the time, it's a necessary evil IMO :lol: Having climb up SJT to Main Divide to do Los Pinos from the last ride was brutal! So, this time around we got to shuttle it pretty much all the way to pain divide. It was great!

The crew is a big mixture of XC, DH, All-mountain, singlespeeder you know, mountain bikers. ;)
    IMG_2710.jpg

Age varies as well....
    IMG_2705.jpg

I thought this encompassed the diversity of the group. I like the shot too!

IMG_2708.jpg

Here we are at the top of pain divide just unloading the steeds. We also talked about how awesome it was having to shuttle it from there. The temps were starting to heat up so everyone was in consensus to get going right away.
    IMG_2713.jpg

So, the first hike-a-bike was in order before we proceed. I heard that someone can clean this section without dabbing....not me :D
    IMG_2717.jpg

Then the 2nd hike-a-bike.
    IMG_2723.jpg

Angelo with his SS super strength goes for it. While the others push, including myself.
    IMG_2726.jpg

Finally, some riding. Angelo leads the way.
    IMG_2732.jpg

Then Dom leads the way for the 1st steeply goodness descent.
    IMG_2745.jpg

And the pushing commence once more.
    IMG_2747.jpg

It pretty much went like this. Steep down, Steep up for about an hour. We made good progress because were trying not to be there "that long" and plus the heat was starting to get intense.
    PS. Ice cubes in your pack is effing awesome!

Here is Eric dropping in from one of the saddles.
    IMG_2751.jpg

I think this is my 2nd favorite section. It's probably of the longest descent before another hike-a-bike.
    IMG_2754.jpg

Eric Fox dropping in.
    IMG_2758.jpg

Waay steeper than it looks.
    IMG_2763.jpg

and more hike-a-bikes.
    IMG_2765.jpg

No, he was not hot under that full face helmet.
    IMG_2768.jpg

Angelo and Josh just taking it all in. Skies were clear enough to see as far as Catalina.
    IMG_2767.jpg

After this section, the picture taking was over. Time to make it down the trail without stopping.

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

Over all, this trail never disappoints. Such fun descent!
    After the ride we drank some beers ate some watermelon and stopped at Pizza port. We also met a girl with her pitbull name bubba kush and owner Megan.
    IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

Now go get your stoke out there!

DangerDirtyD and Varaxis like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    Nice, SFG! Loose Piños, haha. I was up there Saturday. Like you, I forgot what a techfest it is, and in its current state it taxed me pretty hard.

I know some riders will or do absolutely hate that trail. Maybe that's what makes it one of my faves out there, hehe. No rest anywhere. You're either sketching down or pushing up. Position and exposure is as wild as it gets in CNF. Full value riding.

Thanks for the reportage. Cheers...

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  3. El Immigrante

El Immigrante Member

Name:
    Montalvo
    Current Bike:
    Ibis
    Awesome review and pics! Thanks!

4. Scott Forty G.

Scott Forty G. Newbie

Name:
    Scott Forty G.
    Thanks Mike. I couldn't agree with you more that this ride is not for everyone but like you said, "Full value riding" is so true.

As we were descending, i looked towards san juan and i was like, " i can't believe i climbed that once." ouch haha

5. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Great shot.

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    "Ouch" is right, brother. So right... I hoped to ride back to the Trabuco side after starting over there. Bzzt, wrong-o. A few miles up San J I was calling for the sag wagon. Schooled!

Hey, there is ATT reception four miles up San Juan, where you get a good overlook of Ortega Hwy. News to me...I'll put that nugget in Trail Conditions.

Cheerios...

7. spicolli1976

spicolli1976 Member

Name:
    Eric
    Ahhhh, SJT Los Pinos Definitely in my Top 3. Great RR!!!

8. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon
    Very cool, looking to hit that trail for the first time real soon

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Scott Forty G. :clap:

Great Ride Report and Pics Brothah! I know how much work goes in to these!

I hope you don't mind if I post this as ride report of the month over on the magazine... Posted Here on the Mag: <a class="postlink" href="http://imtbtrails.com/magazine/?p=1108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://imtbtrails.com/magazine/?p=1108</a>
    I couldn't work with the Photo's to remove the "washed out" effect. Photobucket must protect them. As well, in that last pic and the ones showing the guys we should get their names in there on the write up...

Gotta question for you. Those Hike-A-Bikes, what kinda distances are you talking and how many of there are there???
    Do you use a Garmin? Do you STRAVA this stuff? I would like to see the Map and Elevation Profile...

Great job Man! :cool:

Mikie

Want to donate to imtbtrails?