Looking for a riding partner in west la

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by adam l, Jun 2, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Nah, the exclusion of all wheeled vehicles from all singletrack will be the death of this place.

Either that, or the death of all of us will be the death of this place.

Who knows?

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I've ridden with you up hills. Do you want to re-think that stance? We would both be relegated to the golf course.

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Some of us HoOLiGaNs threw out some dates and times, and only the crickets chirped.

4. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I would commit to the occasion and prepare if this were for real.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I've remained quiet on the topic, but I feel compelled to offer a different point of view.

I don't give a crap about e-mt bikes per se. I give a crap about people who don't give a crap. Hedonists who only care about their own entertainment in the short run, and can't be bothered to learn the give and take required to maintain access to trails for all. Whether it's a group of endur-bros poaching trails and posting it on STRAVA and YouTube - basically inviting the rest of the world to come and join them or beat them - or DH shuttle warriors who think "get out of the way" is the proper trail command for going downhill on a two-way trail, to a person riding uphill at 20 miles an hour without regard to downhill traffic, to somebody who widens the trails to get an extra second or two off their STRAVA time, to someone who continually pisses off hikers and other trail users by being consistently discourteous, to those who leave trash and make a ton of noise in the neighborhoods in which they park to ride. I could go on and on.

E-mt bikes only add to the likelihood of more and more people abusing trails and getting into conflict. But so do STRAVA, GoPro, YouTube and long-travel bikes.

I really don't care that they are riding where the bikes are illegal. I won't like them better when the laws change. My stance has always been - use one if you need one. Don't if you don't. I do care that we now have more people pissing off bike haters - their hatred often justified.

So my solution - ban douchebaggery!

Thanks for reading. Now go be nice. And get off my lawn!!!!

mtnbikej, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    If you ride with crickets, don't be surprised when they're the only ones who respond. ;)

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Guy joins site looking for ride partners. Resident guide offers to guide, not even a courtesy response. We have a conversation about motorized contraptions, as civil as could be. Guy offers parting shot.

Yo, adam: You’re ignorant of anyone’s background here, so maybe you shouldn’t assume you’re the only unfortunate soul with a body that’s fukked up enough to cause you pain every hour of every day.

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I've always been open-minded about those who need assistance to get what they need to get their life rolling to the best possible level of success. But humans as a species always seem screw things up. Think about it, is there a single scenario that humanity has not messed up? It only takes a few rotten apples. And in this case, it's a few rotten apples where e-bikes are concerned. So while I understand that the OP needs the pedal assist in this case, I'd still rather not see e-bikes anywhere, anytime. Mostly because their use is being abused and I believe that there is a good chance that this abuse could one day be the end of wheeled traffic allowed on trails, forever.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I kicked back on this and ate popcorn through the show. Cyclical in process and thought.
    Thanks for not flaming on this one, however. I commend everyone for not

@adam l sorry for all the blah blah blah... In some slight defense of these Hooligans, we have gone through this discussion so many times with others the tolerance level is very low. It “may” have helped doing some imtbtrails “searches” once you signed up to have discovered the flame wars on eBikes. It’s been a tough haul.

I’m sure you could not possibly have known to mention you are recovering from back surgery as everyone would have immediately gone soft and probably jumped all over riding with you . Not one on here is against eBikes ridden by the recovering, the elderly, and those with understandably struggling health issues.

What imtbtrails HAS struggled with is young healthy 25 year olds blazing climbs at 10 to 15 miles per hour, buzzing mountain bikers, and not even calling out, “On your left!”

You unwittingly left yourself wide open as a dude on an eBike looking for some Bro’s to ride with. Perception is their reality. So there is that.

Otherwise, @Runs with Scissors is mostly spot on. It’s okay if we want to live in our small community bubble, but we will never grow and for some of you that is just the way you want it. Anytime someone comes along that we don’t think really fits we resort to a community pecking order.

I’m not happy about the 20 somethings blazing and buzzing me on the climbs. I call them out and will even confront them if I catch up to them. I’m usually pretty nice if they are respectful. In others words I haven’t had to throw a punch yet.

But my point is, I’m not going to bash in general anything anymore on the site. It took a while for me to mature to that point. I’m just finding as I point my index, I got three more pointing back at me. Corny, I know but it’s true. I poach SOT all the time and have hikers “dislike” me as much as I “disliked” what I described above. Or how about moto’s on Golden Eagle? I would surely love to body check them off “my” trail! So where does that put me?

On behalf of imtbtrails and the owner of the site, I want to apologize @adam l . I hope your recovery goes amazing. I unfortunately do not live anywhere near you, otherwise I would be all up for putting some trails with you.

Mikie
    imtbtrails

herzalot, AKAKTM, ~JB~ and 5 others like this.
  10. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Mikie, you are a friend, but don't offer to ride at midnight because only the crickets and RWS will respond. At least the crickets will walk the walk though.

We love you Mikie, and we love E-bikes in urban environments, especially when they occupy roadway lanes while hauling groceries and reducing emissions of NOx and greenhouse gasses.

herzalot, Mikie, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?