Looking for a new trail bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Nov 24, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I just stumbled upon this video from the good people at Vital MTB.

The Orbea Rallon was a top performer, but there are many others in this mix to consider. Two or three mixed-wheel bikes, including the Rallon. See also bikes from Privateer, Canfield, Polygon, and a little-known company called Specialized, and something from Santa Cruz.

Stkx66, bvader, redwoods and 5 others like this.
  2. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    TL;DR - Good vid!

Cool-sounding (to me anyway) experiment: test-ride a bike from one of these reviews (or from any other review source), THEN immediately watch the review on that bike and compare perspectives.

I often find it really difficult to get into the head of even the best, most-detailed reviewers to really understand what they experienced. I think I get what they're saying, but then I don't seem to have the same experience myself (on the limited number of bikes I've been able to try that have also been "reviewed"). The primary culprit is almost certainly my own biases and blind spots regarding riding and bikes, which leads me to believe it helps to listen to as many people as possible - and to ride as many bikes yourself as possible. I also get the sense - with most review videos anyway - that paid promotion gets in the way of genuinely honest comments about bikes. I may be wrong about that, but I keep hearing "there really aren't any bad bikes out there now a-days" types of comments. Well, if that's true, these reviewers need to find better ways to differentiate between all these good ones. I don't know about Vital one way or another. While this video focused on trail/AM bikes, I found the Summer of Downhill series by Vital (https://www.vitalmtb.com/tags/summer_of_downhill_vital_feature) one of the best series of bike reviews I've ever watched, even though I don't ride a DH bike. I'll be diving into their trail bike reviews more to learn what I can. All that said, I still enjoy watching review videos...mtb = cool!

scan, herzalot, UPSed and 1 other person like this.