Long Travel All Mountain Recommendations

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by StrandLeper, Sep 9, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    the gravity itch is really begging to be scratched. The Bronson 1.0 does fine. I am certain that I haven't pushed it to its limit. Would there be a noticeable difference on the downs with something like The YT Capra or Pivot Thunderbird. Thoughts? Bikes I should demo to feel this difference? VERY Unlikely to be adding another bike to the quiver but wanted to get input on what bikes I should try out so that I can compare them to the B-son. TIA!

Danmtchl, hill^billy, Redman and 3 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yeti SB6c is probably the gold standard of 6" travel enduro bikes that can handle just about anything, and do so with great manners. Richie Rude and Jared have won national-level DHs on an SB6c with coil shock and dual-crown fork. Its 26" wheeled predecessor, the SB66, took 3rd in a World Championships DH, piloted by Jared Graves.

However, for pure plow-ability, you might really dig one of the new long-travel, aggressive geometry 29ers like the YT Jeffsy, Evil Wreckoning or even the Yeti SB5.5. Gotta throw the Speshy Enduro 29er in that list too. (I refuse to go to their website, so no link for you).

Back to 27.5s, the Santa Cruz Nomad is a proven DH oriented trail-slaying beast, and if you like your Bronson, the latest iteration of the Nomad should really float your boat. I was going to say that The Pivot Firebird is a Pivot, so that means its frame is more compact than the current trend. However, I just re-read the geo specs and I'm blown away. Loooong top tubes (a full 1" longer than the Nomad in each size), short chainstays, steep seat-tube angle, slack head tube and big travel. That thing looks to check all the boxes for a long travel (170 mm) DH slayer that could be an everyday trail bike. You seem to like your Pivot a lot, so maybe it's a great choice for you. I need a long top tube, so, until this new Firebird, Pivot has never been an option for me. The YT Capra does not come in XL, so that hasn't been an option for me either, although their Large is pretty big.

And finally, I expect to see a new Intense Tracer very soon, that is even more DH-y than the current model. The Uzzi is specifically built as a single-crown DH rig that can be pedaled easily. 190 mm travel is no joke. It's only available in aluminum, however.

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm in the same boat. I really want a long-travel trail bike but want all day ridability as well. I'm liking the new Niner RIP9 RDO. Hopefully I will get a chance to demo one in the next couple of weeks. I like the Enduro as well but not really fond of the components on the mid level build.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Oh yeah, forgot about the Niner RIP9 RDO. That thing is also looks beastly, and I've seen some really strong DH-y type riders who do well on it. Less travel and steeper (67°) than most of the bikes I mentioned above, however.

Edit: I was thinking of the WFO, not the RIP9, in terms of beastly and in terms of DHy dudes.

5. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I think you will notice a slacker head angle as much or more than a bit more travel. I think your V1 Bronson is 67 degree. Try to take a spin on something with 65ish and I'd bet it gives you allot more confidence in steep and fast stuff. Did for me anyway. BB height and wheelbase also affect stability. Traditionally, the longer travel bikes were more slack than shorter travel bikes, but there are some short/med travel bikes getting close these days. That's what I've been waiting for, among a few other things...

Surprised Herz didn't mention Knolly Delerium on the long travel list.

6. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Totally agree with knucklebuster slacker is better than more travel. My newest bike is 65.5 short chain stay low bottom bracket with 27+ tires.. Best setup I have found yet.
    Forks that ride high in the travel (less sag) like a pike. I love the plushness of my old Marzochi forks but they ride low...a lot of sag to be plush. I have never been a fox fan.

Dean

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I've given up on trying to convince people - including myself - that a Knolly is a good bike for SoCal climbing. They are outstanding on the downs and climbing chunk. The gnarlier the better.

8. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    IF your criteria is long-travel AND all day then the Mojo HD3 is your bike assuming the fit is good. It's got the travel of the Bronson/Nomad/Yeti, but with more spirited and lively pedaling. If you are going to shuttle and not earn your descents, then the Yeti or SC Bronson/Nomad are excellent, but again, if you want all day and pedaling to all, look no further than the HD3. If it fits you, get it with a Fox Float X or X2 or DVO shock with a Fox 36 and you'll have a versatile superbike that can even accept + tires. The Pivot Firebird is a bit burlier and also DW, but just doesn't feel quite as eager to go to me and is a touch heavier. You won't go wrong with any of these bikes for sure!

9. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    ??????
    Bronson: 67 ha, 150mm
    Hd3: 66.6 ha, 150mm

That's pretty much what he has now.
    Tim, I'd say if you want to keep the Bronson but add another bike to the quiver it should be different enough to be worthwhile. Something with 160-170 mm of rear travel and 65-66 ha. I agree with knuckles angles trump travel, but many choices have both.
    Back in the 26" days most companies made a "freeride" frame with 7" of travel and slack angles which could be pedaled, but most were heavyish. It seems that now that it's clear 650b is the new standard they're sorta making them again, but much lighter and more pedal friendly. The new Rocky Mountain slayer looks like exactly what you're looking for. Or, Uzzi, firebird, nomad, delirium. Do yourself a favor and stick a 170 mm mrp stage on the front.
    Don't sweat a little extra heft you're obviously very fit and climbing won't be a problem especially with modern mega range drivetrains. I'm guessing most of you're riding on it will be Laguna gnar, loops of steep but short climb, bomb, moderate climb, bomb, etc. You'll have a blast on one of those beasts, and hop on the Bronson for tamer stuff or long Santa Ana rides.

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Forgot about the Turner RFX too...

11. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    How about an angle set headset. Lose a degree on the Bronson's head angle, see how it feels?? It will give you a good idea of what some slacker geometry wil do.

The knolly warden had two shock positions which adjusted the head angle. 66.5 was better all around, but 65.5 was killer for Laguna gnar.

12. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    tsk tsk, we even talked about that bike today!

Danmtchl and StrandLeper like this.
  13. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Wow guys, thx for the serious input. If I go, I am going to go way slack and way big travel. Something that I can go exploring on in my local environs, but earn every inch of my vert. Great idea @littlewave on the angle experiment on the Bson. Lent a friend my Bson today, so Pivot duty tomorrow ... I already know the limit on that one. Not that I'm complaining. New fork arrives next week.

I'll be dropping mentally around 615 tmrw morning if anyone wants to join (4 hour ride).

Danmtchl, sir crashalot and herzalot like this.
  14. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    StrandLeper and herzalot like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    StrandLeper, UPSed and Danmtchl like this.
  16. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The new giant reign is intriguing, I had the old reign x for a while and it was a hoot. Pedaled great for 7" travel bike--don't bother standing and mashing, just keep spinning and you will get there...eventually.

StrandLeper, Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Lots of the new Reigns out there. @doublewide can attest to their burliness and fun factor.

doublewide and Danmtchl like this.
  18. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    I'm gonna pitch in my uneducated two cents here. Based on all the numbers guys are throwing out I'd look at the new Ellsworth Moment-they use the same frame for the Moment and the Dare(DH) bike, so it should do pretty good on the downs. Adjustable frame geometry between 63.5* and 64.7*head tube angle with the shock shuttle.

The Rogue is also another option. 66 degree head tube and 74 degree seat with 6" of travel.

Ellsworth bikes are ugly, I'll give you that, but they do pedal really well.

Danmtchl, StrandLeper and Redman like this.
  19. I gotta ask.... Wasn't the Bronson the be all end of of trail killers? Like why would I ever need a Nomad when there is Bronson type of Talk????? I have never ridden one, but the users and shops tend to talk up the Bronson like it can handle World cup level DH and still pedal 50 miles routes for fun.

No?

herzalot, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  20. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Good question @dustyyoungblood . I will know after I ride the Bson and a long travel back to back.

I've pedaled 50 mile routes for fun on it... no problems. I have also done some mildly technical stuff on it that you find in hills surrounding Laguna... but my descending skills lag far behind my ascending skills... so I am not qualified to provide commentary on that side of the ledger.

Danmtchl, herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Listen Mister - anyone who rides Mentally Sensitive and Stair Steps as often as you do is qualified to provide commentary on that side of the ledger!

Danmtchl likes this.
  22. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    So kind @herzalot ... I just need to learn to ride them well, then maybe I can comment on the other side of the ledger. :)

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  23. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I'm feeling rather naked, just sold my Enduro 29 so I'm also on the lookout for a new replacement. Watching this thread.

The 2017 Enduro is the default if nothing else. For now, I'm a pedestrian...

herzalot, Danmtchl and StrandLeper like this.
  24. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for the links @herzalot . That Evil looks AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING. Not sure if I could take the wise-cracking from the wife about another $xxx bike in the garage. So the eyes move over to the Jeffsey...

I am a huge fan of my LBS. If I ever went mail order, I would chat with my LBS about a proper price for completing the build for me... having said that... the new YT Jeffsey looks ridiculously good geometry and price wise... and has some pretty strong reviews. Then there is the whole, "Where do you test ride it?" Question...

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/623/sCategory/511

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  25. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    @Danmtchl Loving that DeVinci... thanks for that link!

Danmtchl likes this.
  26. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    simple..... buy a nomad frame and a new fork. swap parts. Sell old frame and fork.

Danmtchl likes this.
  27. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    The Reign pedals well, for such a fatty. :O

Danmtchl likes this.
  28. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Dude @Redman thats a pretty good call! But 27.5.

29. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    27.5 off the table?

30. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    @littlewave yes. I am intrigued by the idea of a long travel 29. It just seems to make sense if done right.

DangerDirtyD and dustyyoungblood like this.