Let’s play guess the new bike lead time!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tick, Jan 28, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I found out today that a bike-sized amount of money is coming my way unexpectedly. Felt like like one of those “Community Chest” cards in Monopoly.

Herz’s sales pitch sealed it—I won’t be able to demo any of the bikes on my list before buying, so the one with the most generous return policy got the nod. So i pushed the button on a Rascal in Sedona Red, X01 kit.

The website says 2-10 weeks, and I haven’t talked to them yet to firm anything up, so I have no idea. But I’m taking the over...my birthday is in 17 weeks, let’s see if they can beat that.

Redman, HBkites, mike and 17 others like this.
  2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Call them up, see what they say!

tick, Mikie, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Gamestop investment? :)

Mikie, Faust29, buggravy and 3 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    "Is my bike done yet?"

Cool that your Game Stop investment resulted in thousands of dollars for a new bike, and even cooler that you decided to join the REVELution. :thumbsup:

Disclaimer - since you are claiming that I influenced your bike purchase, I need to remind you that I never claimed the Rail was a perfect bike. The suspension isn't perfect, the geometry isn't perfect. It isn't light. It's just that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts for me. It took months for me to realize just how good the bike was for my style of riding - whatever that is.

Here are the negatives - on paper. Low bottom bracket height. Slack-ish seat-tube angle. Cables run under the bottom bracket. Suspension doesn't make all bumps disappear.

BUT - since you get a 30 day full refund guarantee, you can decide whether the whole is greater than the sum of its parts for you. I haven't read a bad review of the Rascal.

I hope they are able to get one to you in 17 weeks or less. :thumbsup:

Mikie, Faust29, buggravy and 5 others like this.
  5. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    10 weeks? It'll be outdated by then.:eek::p Congrats nevertheless!

scan, herzalot, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  6. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I won’t blame you if it sucks:Roflmao.

Geo-wise, I thought hard about the Ranger. The Ranger is essentially identical in every dimension to my current bike, which, despite all its 19th century engineering, fits me well. So I’m expecting the Rascal to be plenty squishy by comparison...we shall see. It looks like they kept the same fit but scaled up the squish...

Add in the fact that I wouldn’t need to deal with a shop, and sold.

UPSed, herzalot, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Let's see, I bought my new bike pre-Covid with a 3 month lead time. It turned into 7 months.
    So maybe you'll have it by July, and hopefully before 2022 arrives. :confused:

8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    My tax preparer informed me of my windfall this year. So I am thinking about buying myself an extra spare tube for my road bike.

UPSed, scan, Cyclotourist and 13 others like this.
  9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    We have some 2021 models that won’t be available till September. The word is that the bike industry won’t be back to normal until late 2022. That is a guess also, the longer the pandemic goes on the longer the lead times.

bvader, DangerDirtyD, Danimal and 7 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Beautiful choice, Mr. tick... Hopefully we're congratulating you on actually getting it in your hands soon. :thumbsup:

I recently called the Path and asked about a couple frames. It wasn't exactly laughter I heard on the other end, but it was close... :Roflmao

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I think that was a great choice. I am very anxious to hear your review after time in the saddle/
    Awesome!

Danmtchl, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Time to learn how to start brazing and build yer own.

13. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    We’ve received your deposit on ORDER #14912for your XL SEDONA RASCAL X01 COMPETE BIKE and have entered your new bike into our build queue. We anticipate your order to ship in summer 2021 sometime during the month ofLATE JULY. We’re working double-triple overtime fulfill orders as soon as possible to keep the stoke train moving. As new bike day approaches, we’ll reach out for full payment prior to your ship date. Orders without payment 72 hours after notification will unfortunately be bumped to the end of the line. We know life happens, though, and we will reach out one last time before adjusting ship dates.

The long lead times are a result of supply chain shortages. Specifically SRAM build kits and suspension. Here are some alternative options that will ship sooner. Please let me know if you would like to change to one of these options or just have some questions.

14. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’m a composites guy by day...

UPSed, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  15. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Ouch, that’s a long time to wait. Can they tell you if any dealers have one sitting on the floor? When I was looking for another DV9 frame, I reached out to Ibis and asked if they tracked dealer stock since their site said sold out until 2022. They said no, but they gave me a list of 5 or 6 dealers to call as they might have one. I got lucky on the first call and they had one.

Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  16. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Yowza on the lead time, but congrats on the impending NBD regardless. That's a very enviable steed.

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Can you get it faster if you just get a frame & fork?

Unlike @herzalot, I love the Rail's plush suspension. I've only demo'd my buddies a couple times but he spent a boatload of time dialing in the Fox Factory suspension with the Shockwiz. It's luscious. His bike is also sub 29 lbs but doesn't ride "light" either. My only issue is I find the cockpit a bit tight compared to other bikes in it's class.

I demo'd decked out Rascal's three times....once on the Luge, once on Mt Wilson and once out in Hurricane. It wasn't the fastest climber going up to the Luge (fastest was the Yeti SB130, followed by the Ripmo) but because of it's bad-ass rear suspension design, it was the fastest AND SMOOTHEST going down. While I had fun on it on Mt Wilson, it definitely got overwhelmed a bit on the constant, repeated mega chunk at times. It was that ride that re-affirmed why I enjoy longer travel 27.5 bikes so much....with appropriate terrain.

You'll love the Rascal...if I could only have ONE bike right now, that might be the one I'd choose. A lot of guys are running it with a 150 up front now too.

18. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I will throw my guess in at six months.

I have purchased two bikes during normal times. Santa Cruz took three months and Intense took nearly two (despite my having randomly encountered their head of marketing at Santiago Oaks, which helped).

Danmtchl, Danimal and mtnbikej like this.
  19. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Frame and fork are available immediately. Almost nothing on my current bike is forward compatible, so I’d be out spending a couple grand more piecing together a bike in the middle of a parts shortage. I’ve inquired if a different spec level would speed up the process.

Danmtchl, herzalot, pperrelle and 5 others like this.
  20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I would bet that you could build it with parts just bought from members here and do very well. It's been at least a month since @pperrelle or @pdqmach26 have bought anything new so they should have some parts to move. There's still deals to find on Pinkbike (I know you have to look harder @sd-mtb on there has tons of parts to move, trust me) and if you order the frame/fork thru Pro Bike Supply, I guarantee Mark will work with you on parts pricing. He's always been more than fair to me. Good luck.

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I bought mine frame and fork. I know a guy...

Whoa whoa whoa, I didn't say it wasn't plush. In many of my posts I have marveled at how good it is on braking bumps and other difficult situations, I just said it isn't perfect and doesn't erase everything all the time! It's the best I've owned and is right up there with my coil DH bike.
    I love the vibe of that response. "Stoke train" :thumbsup:

Danmtchl and tick like this.
  22. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Congratulations. Great bike for sure.

I heard from a cycling industry professional that lead times are bad and will get worse. Reports are many Shimano items are now being reported as a 400 day lead time. SRAM is better, but still having supply issues. One of the big brands told the dealers that there will not be bike inventory in their warehouses for quite a while and that there will not be huge shipments, but rather a few at a time. I'm hearing it's not going to get better soon and may take up to two years to get back to steady state supply.

My advice is to keep a few essential spare parts and if you want a bike, you need to be creative and flexible or you need to be prepared to wait a while. The MTB community is super helpful and so great to work with that we will make it through.

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I have a Race Face Offset 30mm internal rim laced to a DT Swiss 350 s rear hub to start your build! 148mm with Shimano 12 spd set up.

Oh and I also have a SRAM 11 crankset with 30 and 32 t chainring. 170mm cranks. And a saddle. And pedals.

C'mon people, let's get this thing built. Need a 29er front wheel, brakes, derailleur, cassette, chain and some cockpit parts.

Danmtchl, tick and DangerDirtyD like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My guy says he can do it. PMing you.

Hmmm... can't seem to get to your page. Error message. @tick try PM ing me or text me at sven-juan-fore-sven-nein-sven-cinco-tres-ocho-sven

Obsidian, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  25. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Hmm...I just looked back at the email, frame & shock is immediate delivery, not frame & fork...

But...While my Pike is set to 130 mm, the parts I need to take it to 150mm looks to be available... it’s non-boost, but the wheel could go forward for the short term. The brakes could go too.

Actually the only really incompatible items are the boost hub and the BB...my beater KS Lev is the right diameter...

looking at the 100 ships sitting off the coast waiting to get in to San Pedro, I wonder how many build kits are just sitting out there?

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I think he can get you everything for a price that would compete for a full build price. Call me.

~JB~, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    This is really freakin' awesome. I hope @tick gets his bike sooner rather than later. I'm going to order some spare parts for our collection of bikes based on @AKAKTM's post.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  28. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    We should all get bikes! It seems like the responsible thing to do at this point.

Nice work!

Danmtchl, Faust29, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm not quite yet in the market for a new bike but maybe I should figure out what I want now and order it and maybe I'd have it by the time I was ready.

tick, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  30. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    It's close... It's right there you just need to swim out and get it.

I'll guess ... July

Edit OUCH did not see the middle post

Ohh and congrats looks like tons-o-fun
    PXL_20210124_202446204~2.jpg

~JB~, tick, Obsidian and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?