LCWP Trail Work - BVD +

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by Ebruner, Jan 21, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I don't enjoy the STRAVA boasting or trash talk, or the impact of STRAVA cup hunters on the overall tone out on the trails (cut corners, near misses, angry riders, etc).

But I am far more upset about the ruining of OC trails. This one hurts. A lot. BVD (Emerald Falls) was a really fun, chunky, turny, upper-intermediate to lower-advanced challenge which, by the sounds of it, has now been obliterated and changed into an off-camber, dumb ass series of speed bumps, awkward turns and silt for us to enjoy. Hell, even the picture I posted above shows a p-line around the drop that wasn't there 6 months ago.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

BVD Drop.JPG

BVD Drop 11-27-21.jpg

Mikie, FizzyCola, Oaken and 6 others like this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Hahaha! I’m loving this exchange! I put my money on @Stubborn Approach ’s 5 inches to @Obsidian ‘s 3.5 simply because of the airtime demonstrated in photos and not the six-pack under Obsidian’s riding kit. I’m on the injured reserve list thanks to chasing a Strava PR and trying to keep up virtually with a local high school kid that routinely hands my ass to me up and down on the mellow and the steep Sh!t. It is all in good fun as long as we can talk Sh!t and hear it too, no one other than the rider gets hurt (nice to meet you), and the trails are not cut (unless it’s a trail down a steep Ridgeline, then the path of least resistance dictates the route because geology rules).

Mikie, tick, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  3. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I'm just trying to keep you broken people who can't ride anymore entertained. :laugh: Truth be told, I try to go just slow enough where I don't break myself. So far so good. :whistling:

Mikie, Danimal, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  4. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    That’s pretty much how everyone rides.

edit: …tries to, anyway.

Mikie, tick, Voodoo Tom and 1 other person like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

That's cause mtn biking is hard and scary. :rolleyes:

Mikie, Oaken, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r

So, how come you didn't take a few minutes to eliminate the p-line shown in your last pic? You took the time to get a picture, five minutes later you could have had that P-line hidden like your Strava times.:):whistling::D

Mikie, Danimal, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What's the point? Any brush I could have shoved into place would have been removed by the next P-biker who didn't want the challenge of the drop. Clearly the preference in Orange County is to eliminate rocks and challenge.

8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Except for the brush destruction I don't see the problem.
    1) those who can and want to drop still can.
    2) those who dont have the skill to do a drop like that can still enjoy the trail. :unsure:

Win on both sides IMO.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well there you go being practical and rational…

That’s so stupid!

Mikie and Danimal like this.
  10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Ok so that one post of yours was sarcasm?. It was unclear. Not everyone Stravas. What’s with all the giving a s*** about others’ riding prowess (clearly good, in the case of stubborn and Herz) and the low-key insults you’ve been doling out in this thread ? Let’s keep the righteous? indignation where it belongs, against the BVD-destroyers
    Thatd be a full-time job these days

11. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I Rode BVD yesterday.
    Destroyed : No
    Awesome: No
    In the middle: Yeah
    Off Camber : No Not Really
    Loosish Dirt : Yeah
    Some chunk missing : Yeah

Some Rain and Riding it will be back..

BTW I was to busy looking around to huck the drop on the HT... I have a no injury rule right now

12. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Dang! @herzalot I was hoping for good 'ol herzalot sarcasm.

@sir crashalot I hear ya'. I try to stop every ride and do a little something. Riding out in the desert it's easy to gather a bunch of basketball sized rocks and do what you need with them. You can't just plow through them like you can with dead branches and twigs.

Mikie, mtnbikej and herzalot like this.
  13. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Is that one chunky steeper section in the middle still there or “machined” away?

Mikie, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  14. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Gone. I rode it today and there is nothing left that I would call chunk. People with no suspension will love it.

BVD is basically untouched until you get to the beginning of where the fun stuff was ... now it is all loose dirt.
    I did not stop to analyze, so I am not sure if they simply poured dirt over the rocks or plowed them away. They put a paver right in the middle of the trail for some reason too, just sort of a hump. o_O
    I did not notice any off camber turns like on Camarillo, just loose dirt for now. It will be a lot faster trail once the dirt firms up. Just not nearly as fun. :facepalm:

Now what will they do to Lizards with 11 days to play with? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

20220125_111124.jpg

Mikie, bvader, sir crashalot and 4 others like this.
  15. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Hopefully dirt piled up over rocks, so will wash away with next big storm. I fear for lizards

Mikie, bvader, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  16. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    i am so bummed

17. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I don't understand the logic of it. They don't want riders on the plethora of off menu trails out there ... then they neuter a fun, legal one.

Ol' Emerald is about as chunky right now as I have ever seen it, so at least there is that. For now anyway.

Mikie, RIGID, tick and 3 others like this.
  18. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    What is there not to understand? LCF is making the trails safer for the P-Riders so that P-Liners do not continue to establish P-Lines that encroach on the adjacent habitat. Thanks P-People for mountain biking.

Mikie, tick, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  19. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    is there anything we can do about this?

Mikie likes this.
  20. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Who oversees LCF?

Mikie likes this.
  21. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    There was 1 chunkish section left... I think much of that Loose dirt will go down trail...

I will take the loose dirt over serious pack.. it will be back... I'm not worried about that.

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Did LCF do this work? I think it may have been OC Parks.

Hallie Jones is the CEO of LCF. I can ask her.

Mikie and Rumpled like this.
  23. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    LCF is the name people always seem to mention when complaining about trailwork in your local parks, so that's what I assumed.

Land managers and trailworkers who don't can have little clue what makes a trail good for biking vs not. For that matter, consider what might happen if the sort of MTBer who takes all the P-lines was in charge of maintenance. That wouldn't be pretty, either lol.

Raising concerns (ie complaining) can be productive if you get through to the right people and can show them how MTBer priorities can be met, while also meeting the land manager's requirements for sustainability, safety, etc.

Is there a local MTB group that works with OC Parks? Volunteer and help Kioti? If he had a big enough crew maybe he could take on projects such as this rather than OC Parks. If all else fails, find local govt representatives who are mountain bikers who can help influence decision makers.

That's all I got. Bottom line is if riders won't take the time to make their voices heard, the County or who ever is doing the work will do so as they see fit.

herzalot, Mikie and Obsidian like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    We rallied as local mt bikers a few years ago and were very active at LCF meetings. LCF got the message somewhat, fired their trail boss and seemed to kind of slink back into relatively harmless vegetation clearing and drainage work. But OC Parks came in doing big projects such as 5 Oaks, Lizard and T and A - I think. I kind of lost track as to who was doing the "improvements." I will need to get my sorry ass back into complaining mode.

The hardcore riders in and around Laguna pay no attention to the stupid trailwork being done because they don't ride the legal trails anyway. So they lay low and do their own thing and don't complain about trailwork done on the legal trails. At least that's my take.

tick, evdog, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  25. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Jackpot!!!! Be like the hardcore riders and you'll have nothing to complain about. There are plenty of off menu trails that will keep your eyes bugged out! And, even though those trails are "illegal", they aren't going away. Some of them have been there longer than some legal trails. Go shred the gnar, bruh!:ninja:

Danimal, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  26. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    OCP hires the California Conservation Corps to do trail work instead of utilizing the long term volunteers & their experienced knowledge of the trails & local building practices. It’s the main reason I no longer do much volunteering for OCP/LCF. LCF doesnt have a seat at the decision making table & is just another vendor utilized by OCP.

herzalot, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    BVD falls under CCSP......no???

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  28. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I think the lower half is in lcwp-where they did the work. The jurisdictional bifurcation is why there’s no trail sign

herzalot, Mikie and Obsidian like this.
  29. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Phrase of the week!

mtnbikej, RIGID, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  30. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Only time “bifurcation” has ever been written on an mtb forum!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?