LCWP Trail Work - BVD +

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by Ebruner, Jan 21, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Rode BVD yesterday. It's getting the Lizards and Camarillo style trail work at the moment. They graded the entire bottom section and turned it into what I'd consider a machine built single/double track. The chucky rock sections have been graded out of the trail and the trail infilled with 3" of soft, non-compacted dirt. Ruts were fixed, but fixed by totally anihhilating any resemblance to Laguna classic rocky hiking trails.

There are of course, the typical LCF out sloping turns thrown in randomly, and massive (seriously massive) water bars that between some of the corners that reduce your ability to setup for the next corner, and also make you gain speed into the next corner.

The trail needed some work filling ruts, and has needed it for years... but it did not need complete obliteration that it got. I have no doubt, the new trail work will cause increased dangerous interactions between hikers and bikers.

The good news, is that T&A has had a bit more hand cleanup work that I did actually like. Nothing was neutered or changed in the process, just little maintenance and filling in some of the degradation of the existing trail.

RIP BVD. It was one of my favorite hidden gem trails at LCWP. Now it's just another half assed, built without enough water shitty machine built flow trail.

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That sucks.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That was one of my favorites. I loved how it was more raw and loose than most of the trails down there. :(

Mikie, herzalot and Obsidian like this.
  4. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Nooooooooooooo! One of my faves!
    F*** lcf

5. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Someone told me old emerald is having/had work done as well? Hope that ones not ruined too

Mikie, herzalot, Redman and 2 others like this.
  6. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I hope not. Old Emerald was great the last time I rode it ... nice and chunky.

Mikie, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  7. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    I climb OE multiple times per week, it hasn’t been touched.

8. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I was referring to Ol' Emerald ... aka Repo Man. Not that fukin' slog climb up a fire road. Weird how everything in that area is called some variant of Old Emerald.

In a way .. I am happy to say Repo Man in now the unquestionably best legal trail in the area. For now. RIP BVD.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 215619.png

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  9. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Repo man is not Old Emerald , nor is it legal. I’m sure Stubborn approach was referring to Old Enerald, many including myself climb/hab that these days instead of emerald canyon fire road.

10. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    I was responding to crashalot (my fault for not quoting) that it has not been touched by the machines being used on BVD. OE is certainly wide, but not a fireroad & a nice climb out of that canyon after catching the better of the many downs available.

Mikie, Danimal and DangerDirtyD like this.
  11. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I am aware. Other than Strava .. which calls Ol' Emerald Repo Man.

Mikie likes this.
  12. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Nobody on this forum climbs Ol' Emerald without HAB'ing. I would need to see it to believe it.

Mikie and Stubborn Approach like this.
  13. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    :Roflmao Whatever you wish, I ride there most weekday mornings & clean it in just over 10mins on average.

Mikie, pdqmach26 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  14. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Fair enough. Faster than me.

How are you on the downs? Good luck. :laugh:

Mikie likes this.
  15. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    I race Cat 1 DH, I’m proficient on every trail in that area. Been riding them for the last few years.

16. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Well Sh!t! I have never raced bikes in my life.

We should do a full Lizards and Ol' Emerald downhill race one of these days. Best combined time wins.

Add me on Strava.

17. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    My name is the same on Strava as it is here. I literally don’t ride down either of those trails & wouldn’t waste a down on them for any reason.

Mikie, pdqmach26 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    FUUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!!

19. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    LOL, climbing HAB trails seems like a waste of a 2022 Pivot Firebird.

Sent you a follow request.

Mikie likes this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Even I've climbed Old Emerald without HaB. Well, I think I may have walked about 50 yards of it towards the bottom. And no, I am not referring to the Emerald Canyon fireroad climb.

Repo Man is DEFINITELY not Old Emerald, and Repo Man is definitely off-menu.. It should not be on STRAVA.

And seriously - BVD (Emerald Falls) has been sanitized? The chunk is gone? The 3' drop is gone? I HATE the bastards who do trail work in this County. They should be arrested for vandalism, terrorism or assault. (@kioti is the exception)

BVD Drop 11-27-21.jpg

xhuskr, Mikie, pdqmach26 and 5 others like this.
  21. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Again, I am fully aware it is not the actual Repo Man. However ... Strava says otherwise.

upload_2022-1-22_22-42-4.png

I have never ridden the unofficially official illegal Repo Man.

And you cannot climb for Sh!t, so if I have never cleaned it, neither have you. :laugh:

Mikie likes this.
  22. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I am heartbroken. All the hope I had from that trail project last summer that the park was going to keep mtbers more in mind when maintaining/designating trails is gone. Wonder what’s next to be destroyed

23. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    I work with Kioti & the crew on the Luge, but fully agree with Herz regarding the work being performed by OCP/LCF & their hired guns the CCC. I do not agree with anything they do in Aliso/Laguna & won’t subject myself to it as an OCP/IRC/CNF long term volunteer.. which is why I’ve been focusing mainly on the upper goodies @ SCST since the lockdown. No hoops to jump through, no nonsense to deal with, no one pot holing the trails or jack hammering features creating further erosion problems on the historic use trails. Seeing them use heavy equipment to fix drainage is another bridge too far imo. I don’t understand it all but after being involved in some BoS meetings, they are so damn ancient, clueless and ignorant, it makes sense.

Mikie, pdqmach26, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  24. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Fair enough. You don't suck.

That is an amazing time on Lizards 1 & 2.

upload_2022-1-22_23-15-32.png

I still win because you sort of suck down Ol'Emerald. :laugh:

upload_2022-1-22_23-12-54.png

Add yourself to the IMTBtrails Strava group.

25. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    I’m pretty sure those times are from at least 4 years ago on a $300 hardtail w/ QR axles during group rides when I first started riding mtb. I wouldn’t think they are relevant or representative, but whatever makes your day.

26. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Mine are recent and I am local. It's all just for fun, right?

27. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    Making it a race no one asked for & telling me that I suck isn’t a just for fun mindset. I will just say this & be done with it…. the bikes keep getting better but the trails keep getting easier, more sanitized & more crowded with users. I have plenty of KOMs & Top 10s you can measure dicks with, have fun with that. :thumbsup:

28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    There are at least two Strava obsessed users on this board... I'm still not sure if they're serious or trolling. :confused:

29. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    That's why I don't and won't have Strava.
    My biking buddys all have it and keep trying to get me to sign up. They are bragging about thier times on certain trails. My Garmin is good enough. All I need it for is to monitor my heart rate.
    There are some faster than me and some slower than me. I can live with that.
    My race days have long been over.
    Now I just enjoy riding my bike as I did when I was a kid.

30. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    STRAVA... my estimate is it's accurate within about 10%, unless I have a PR. Then it's spot on.
    End of year stats said I had a KOM, which is highly doubtful unless of course it's a trail with maybe 3 users, of which two are hikers with a stroller.

My times used to be consistently about a 1/3 from the top in times,but now it won't show me unless I use premium. And honestly, I'm a solid faster than some and slower than most, both up and down. Which is prefect for my " I'm here to have fun" mind set.

Now, I'm going to go ride the same trail I've ridden about 2000x and will have a blast doing it. Hikers will interupt the down flow, and I'll slow down, maybe stop, Say hi with a smile and mean it. Loving every moment.

Ride how you like, enjoy it as life's short. I only hope I can continue riding for a few more years to come.
    And at some point I'll either buy an ebike or hang it up.
    Cheers!

Mikie, bpacifica, Oaken and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?