LCWP TnA Trail

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by knucklebuster, Feb 3, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Yeah IDK. I've ridden in 4-5 times since december and I see absolutely nothing wrong with the condition it's in. Part of mtb riding is riding what you can and building up to what you can't imo.

Faust29, mtnbikej and bvader like this.
  2. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
  3. Ebruner

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    I forgot to mention it before, thanks for fighting the good fight folks. I feel at ease knowing that our community is being represented by the right people and represented well.

4. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Bummed that in sentence 1 of the article the relatively few riders who attended the meeting, at least some of whom I know are passionate about the whole experience of our parks, were characterized as thrill-seekers, which has a negative connotation among readers. I for one an am environmentalist and all around outdoorsman as well as a mtber, yes I want the challenge preserved as much as possible but I am not just a self centered thrill seeker

5. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    In addition to last nights LCF trail forum/meeting, this morning I also attended their informal "coffee morning" get-together hosted by Hallie and Paula (who was also there last night)

It was over an hour before anyone else arrived for coffee and bagels, so we were able to have a good chat. Obviously we covered the previous evenings discussion, but also delved into a few other related areas. While there's nothing specific to report back on this, it did reinforce to me that they're committed to dialogue with us. Interestingly, the next person who arrived had also been at the previous evenings forum. She was an older lady, and hiker. Perhaps she isn't a completely representative sample of the public, but it was interesting to hear how much she was concerned about the trails - FOR US! Seriously. Although she didn't actually speak at the trail forum herself, she did take away a fresh perspective about our concerns/wants/wishes. This is what happens when people sit down and talk!

I also spent Sunday afternoon at their volunteer orientation (for things like their trail work, you can just turn up, you don't need any prior experience or training), so I think I'm going to try and get a little more involved and see what happens...
    Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but a little respectful and civil discourse is a good start and an appropriate way forward.

Redman, Oaken, DangerDirtyD and 10 others like this.
  6. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I agree that it's too bad about the thrill-seeker comment. I'm even more annoyed by the qoute he used from Alan: "Alan Kaufmann, the foundation’s restoration program director, said Monday that the Laguna Ridge trail used to be a “narrow, single track” route but had grown to 30 to 40-feet wide in a section." This is a continued exaggeration that I called them out on when we met a while ago, and they repeated it last night. Granted, Alan wasn't at the first meeting, but they've used this line in their official documents and continue to repeat it. To anyone reading that in the newspaper it paints a pretty dramatic picture of a 30-40' wide trail.

Here is what it actually looked like:
    Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 4.28.59 PM.png

This is from Apple Maps, and shows where the trail split into two trails at the very top before the trails rejoined. You can get to the 30-40' estimate if you include 15-20' of vegetation in the middle. Each line was maybe 8-10' wide, and when they came back together (the bottom of the screenshot), they remaining rock garden was never more than 8-10' the rest of the way. You can pull it up in Google or Apple Maps and see slightly different time periods (Google is a little more recent because you can see some of the reroute work, but I can't see an option to show scale on the screen), but either way it shows that simply shutting down one side or the other at the top would have taken care of the width issue that they like to quote.

Anyway, it's water under the bridge now, but it bugs me seeing this exaggeration perpetuated and now published in a newspaper.

I also would have liked to see Herzalot's quote put in better context. All of that said, the article could have been a lot worse and it would be hard to get the context of what we were talking about if you don't ride or know anything about mountain biking. The nuances of our sport were also clearly missed by some people there who seemed to say that we'll have all kinds of challenging trails at the new mountain bike park in Fullerton. Don't get me wrong, the new park will be great and I'm looking forward to it, but a skills park is not the same thing as real, natural trails in someplace like Laguna. People who don't ride just have no context to understand the differences. It's all the more reason for us to get involved and speak up for ourselves.

7. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Yeah I have subzero interest in leaving Laguna to ride at that park he was referring to. He didn't get it. All the more reason to keep dialogue going!

herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  8. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Agree on Camarillo. It is tough now, but there is a new line to the right over a boulder on the second rock problem. It seems sketchy, but if you recon it, you can clean it. The erosion has made it more challenging, but all it needs is some dirt love.

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    herzalot likes this.
  10. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I lobbied hard against pavers when they were being planned for 5 Oaks, but was shut down by LCF. The trail was fine without them. Actually, better because it didn't have unnatural and unaesthetic geometrically patterned concrete pavers that weren't even the color of the soil.

There was even a question as to why LCF was working on 5 Oaks, since an OC Parks volunteer was already committed to it and maintaining it. Other trails, like Car Wreck, were in bad shape and dangerous due to lack of maintenance.

I made suggestions as to other solutions, such as mixing clay (found within park boundaries) with the existing sand or using a soil stabilizer to harden the sand. The discussion went nowhere. They didn't try any alternatives first. The problem areas weren't really problems. And their attitude cost Aliso and Woods a dedicated volunteer and superb trail builder.

11. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Good news is that no one needs to hike down Car Wreck if they don't want to. Hike up it for the challenge, and hike down Mathis for a smoother descent.

Lots of choices in Aliso and LCWP, and that's the way it should be.

12. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I keep bouncing around from being encouraged with posts like @Andy 's in post #185, and then skeptical by the questionable facts like @MattB describes in post #186.

I know that article is written by someone probably not very knowledgeable of the whole situation.... but it just feels like a poke in the eye. Especially with the lead off picture (supplied by LCF) of everyone working hard on the berm near the bottom of 5 Oaks (good job), but is now is a sidewalk of concrete pavers, which isn't mentioned, just like the backhoe tearing up TnA isn't mentioned. I think I should stay away from this topic for awhile, not worth it. And surely everyone is tired of me slamming the use of pavers by now.

la-1493145750-1wbin2yu96-snap-image.jpg

5 oaks.jpg

13. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    EXACTLY!

kioti likes this.
  14. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I agree. I've been going back and forth too. After reading the article again and getting my wife's perspective as someone who read it, but wasn't at the meeting, it feels kind of like a propaganda piece for LCF. The pictures were supplied by LCF and their storyline is laid out as fact, without noting the other perspectives that were discussed. I could have supplied this picture of me riding down what they refer to as "a scar seen from space" and a 30'-40' wide trail. Those don't seem like accurate descriptions to me.

IMG_7022.JPG

This was May 2016 heading down the right side trail from the map screenshot I posted above. You can also see the rider down trail reentering from the left side trail. That is some healthy, thick vegetation separating the trails at the top, and that was before all of the growth that would have happened with this winter's rains.

15. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    That shot of you riding down TnA says it all. Closing one side and encouraging some run-off would've solved a non-existent problem and kept it sustainable. And it sure looks a lot better than other trails in the system.

16. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    The funny thing about the article is Mr. Alderton interviewed me for about 15mins and then chose to quote Herz out of context. It is what it is but I feel (overall) a lot was accomplished last night. Diplomacy is definitely key moving forward with engaging LCF and LTM.

littlewave, Andy, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  17. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    ha reporters always get something wrong.

mtnbikej likes this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I have to defend Bryce. He is a very good reporter and strives to understand the whole story. He has done me right in the three years I have worked with him, while others look for scandal or provocation. He endures lots of long meetings and takes copious notes just to get a few lines. He didn't misquote me, but there was no context to the quote. He wrote me an e-mail for clarification this morning. He didn't use it, just like he didn't use anything that Taylor said, but he really does strive to understand. I am hoping he has a few more column-inches to dedicate to this story in the print version, and I hope he gets it balanced and doesn't pit "thrill seekers" against "responsible land managers/environmentalists." We shall see.

On the other side of the Laguna Beach reporters, we have anyone from The Independent. They are typically quite negative, and seem to sensationalize and only tell one side of a story.

Again, we shall see.

Oaken, bvader, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  19. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    im just being snarky, didnt really mean any particular offense. It just seems that whenever i read an article thats about something I have personal knowledge of, theres always some details or ideas that are wrong, people are misquoted or taken out of context, spin, etc. Im not saying their intentions are as such, im sure its tough to keep it all straight in unfamiliar situations.
    I guess the "thrill seekers" thing rubbed me the wrong way a bit. Kinda like other articles in the past where instead of refering to mountain bikers or trail users, we're called "daredevils". Yes, some riders only care about the adrenailine and not the land or environment, but not all (and were not all one dimensional) and characterizations like that continue to foster a negative public perception of the entire spectrum of mountain bikers.
    How about "Some of Laguna Beach’s mountain bikers and hikers had a non confrontational dialogue with Laguna Canyon Foundation officials Monday and told them they were concerned that recent and planned changes to sections of dirt trails throughout the Laguna Coast wilderness park were leading to a less natural rugged and challenging feel."

20. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Yup, Bryce is actually a good reporter in a context in which he is familiar. This is only the 2nd time I've dealt with him personally. Again, a lot of positivity was accomplished last night. That's a dub ya in my book. Solid work by those in attendance.

MattB, sir crashalot and herzalot like this.
  21. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Yeah if we are talking same place I like that line takes a bit of commitment, but that is also where people are going straight and cutting down through to next section... Minor I know .

Anyways I appreciate all the commitment and interaction with LCF and others on all our behalf.

Thanks again.

MattB and herzalot like this.
  22. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Thats a rad photo. RIP

bvader, DangerDirtyD and MattB like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Glad to see you there, Barnes...

BTW, all the rest of you reading this thread, please click on the link in Taylor's signature. you won't regret it. No it's not hot chicks, sorry.

Luis, BeckTrex, tbarnesarc and 3 others like this.
  24. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Thanks for the suggestion on his link. Those are some amazing pictures, Taylor! They could have used some of those mountain biking pictures to represent all of us "thrill seekers" for the article ... I'm pretty sure that's what we used to look like seeking our thrills riding TNA before the reroute;)

25. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Since when do you call me Barnes ya old phertz? ;)

Thanks Matt glad you enjoyed them. I need to get out and shoot more. Still have plenty of progression to get to...

kioti, herzalot and MattB like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, don't forget, I was there for that photo in your Avatar! And oddly enough, you were in the original version of the photo in my Avatar, before Paul photoshopped Run DMC into it!

tbarnesarc likes this.
  27. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    For work on 5 Oaks tomorrow:
    IMG_0518.PNG

DangerDirtyD and MattB like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    This is scary. I have an e-mail in to Hallie. We shall see what heavy-handed rock armoring they plan on inflicting on one of the best legal trails in Aliso.

DangerDirtyD, bvader and MattB like this.
  29. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I thought @herzalot was on the trail committe and they would be looking for our input?

herzalot, MattB, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  30. Ebruner

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    holy Sh!t there is nothing good that can come of rocks that large on 5-oaks. IMO that trail is nearly perfect right now as is.

MattB, kioti and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?