LCWP TnA Trail

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by knucklebuster, Feb 3, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    FYI.... Laguna Trail Mix (Laguna Coast Foundation) FB page:
    There have been changes coming. The strait rocky pitch off of the top of theLaguna Ridge, aka TnA, is no longer. It was unsustainable by any measure ( long or short term), a danger to the majority public, and a restoration problem.

"This is no longer as you see it"
    16427640_1170390333078143_246047257311787639_n.jpg
    16427467_1170390336411476_3032278320435621321_n.jpg

Was concerned when they put a bypass in last year, then the fire last summer shut it all down, now... I always thought that steep, loose top section was a good squirrel catcher.... might scare some riders off from even trying to go down TnA and getting over their heads, because the trail gets pretty challenging near the bottom (I'm assuming they haven't worked on that yet).

kioti, H2oChick, herzalot and 12 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've never ridden in LCWP.

mike and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  3. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    What. The. F@ck.

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Thanks for the info. I never had the pleasure of that trail. I missed out.

5. pdqmach26

pdqmach26 Member

Name:
    Bob
    They butchered it. Checked it out this afternoon. No more rock garden. The top half is a joke

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Glad I had many fun runs on it; sad news. Thanks, Dave.

Ride the hell out of everything you can, asap...

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, bvader and 4 others like this.
  7. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Nooooo! I can't believe they are destroying the most challenging legal trail in LCWP. I just rode their sanitized "hump" section of Coyote Run again today and was reminded of another challenge we can no longer enjoy.:mad:

I don't see how the TnA rock garden could be considered unsustainable when it has been around for this long without a problem. Yes, it would change with the weather and the seasons, but that kept it interesting, challenging, and new. I acknowledge that it wasn't a trail for everyone and could be dangerous for people without the necessary skills, but not every trail needs to be able to be ridden by everyone. We need a variety of trails in our parks for the same reason that you don't go to a ski resort or bike park that only has bunny hills. I agree with knucklebuster's squirrel catcher comment. Anyone could see that section right away and easily tell if they would be in over their head. If they could handle it, then ride it ... if not, then don't.:bang:

I know it is difficult to stop the building and use of illegal trails in our parks, but sanitizing everything technical on the legal trails definitely won't help. It's only going to encourage more people to seek out more challenging unofficial trails.

Now, I'm getting concerned about what 5-Oaks will look like when they're done (if it's the same group responsible).

I'm sure this has been mentioned previously (probably many times in many threads), but what can we do as a group to get our voices heard more regarding trail sanitization in Laguna?

I always struggled to clean that rock garden section entirely. And I always looked forward to trying to make it without dabbing the next time. So bummed there won't be any more attempts.:(

Sorry for the rant.

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, bvader and 7 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I guess the hikers won't spill their lattes and frapuccinos now. :thumbsdown:

tortoise, kioti, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  9. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    to clarify, the TnA trail is still worth including on a LCWP route IMO. The lower part (after the meadow) is still very challenging (well, I haven't ridden it since last spring, so hope it is).

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That makes me sick to my stomach. I knew they were doing the low-gradient ride around, but I didn't know they were going to bulldoze one of the best legal challenges in Orange County. For Chrissakes. I'm pissed. I know the people responsible, and I feel for them trying to please everyone, but leave it alone and let people choose the challenging route or the easy route. I now fear for 5-Oaks, Car Wreck and Stair steps.

11. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I don't know what to say. I deleted LOTS of bad words. Now I will just ride illegal trails. A@@hole! There are 30 or so miles of safe for everyone trails, they take away the only legal tough drop into the canyon from LCWP? How long has this is idiot even worked for LCWP? Does he even ride? Does he even live in Laguna. Out of respect for @Mikie , I deleted my first, second, and third posts before hitting "post."

Unbelievable. Now, my last memory of upper TnA is having my a@@ handed to me.

Kook!

12. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley

Faust29, mtnbikej, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Would you believe he is (or was) a Rad? At least, the sticker on the back of his truck says he is/was.

Of course, the sticker on the back of my car says I am Kelly Slater, so...

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    There's a TLD/Intense event at TLD Laguna tomorrow. Intense are announcing their WC team and probably unveiling the new Tracer. It's co-sponsored by LCF. I am sure LCF will be there. Perhaps you should come and provide your opinion of the bulldozer work. 6pm. :speechless:

Reminder: Hallie is good people. She will listen. Mr. X - not so much.

15. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    As I was showing the before and after picture to my wife, my daughter (mainly hikes and only rides the most tame trails at this point) came over and said: "What?! That looked like the most fun hiking trail ever, climbing on all those rocks! Now it's the most boring hiking trail ever!"

So there you have it. Even hikers think it's boring!:D

16. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I didnt mind the reroute, but i dont understand why they didnt keep the original line and leave us 2 options.
    ]m an avid hiker too, and yes even most hikers dont like tame trails.

Faust29, Mikie, MattB and 1 other person like this.
  17. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I feel for you guys! I'm pissed and I've never ridden it!

18. The whole idea of multi use is f@cking bullshit!!!! When are our land managers going to figure out that giving a couple lines to the DH community to do whatever the F@ck they want is the BEST way to curb illegal trail systems while also avoiding conflicts with hikers.

19. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Sorry to hear/see the sanitizing there guys.... one less trail to ride and enjoy in Laguna :thumbsdown:.

Faust29, mtnbikej, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  20. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Thanks. I'm not one to crash a private event (and I have family coming into town tomorrow, but I'm interested in hearing if anyone does attend), but I did see that TLD is a "Supporter" on the Trailmix website http://lagunacanyon.org/trailmix/
    Maybe someone with connections there can help apply some pressure. (Anyone?) There's no need for my TLD elbow and knee pads if all of the trails get sanitized.:whistling:

There is also an email contact form for LCF and their phone number (949) 497-8324 at the bottom of the Laguna Canyon Foundation website http://lagunacanyon.org

I know who I'll be reaching out to next week.

Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  21. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    to be fair, the rest of the mile long trail is currently still enjoyable. This is just the top 100 yards, but was one of the most challenging legal sections in the three parks.

Faust29, jaime, MattB and 1 other person like this.
  22. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    I will swing by after dinner at Brussels Bistro. What is the kook's name?

Edit: forget that. I gave them an earful on their facebook page. I don't want to ruin date night. I will probably be banned from Laguna for pointing out the false premises upon which they are rationalizing this "restoration." The condescension in his responses to me are obvious ...

23. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Those of you who have a FB account and ride Laguna might want to go to Laguna Trailmix FB page and express your opinion. I have.

H2oChick, MattB, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I just perused their FB site, and I am disheartened. Mostly because all of the photos and comments make it sound like they are doing such great things to the trails. "A three pack of drains in a rhythm section..." on Meadows was a holy disaster of good old fashioned water bars for no reason, right where one would commence braking before a turn. Unnecessary and not smart. The obsession with "water management" comes through loud and clear. It rains 5x per year, and this "drainage" won't hold up any better than the much more subtle and natural drains that a good trailbuilder would install. I'd rather have a trail that is fun 11 months a year, but needs to be repaired after the rains than one that is bad 12 months a year, and still needs to be repaired after a rain.

The FB posts get only "likes" and there is no pushback. Thank you Tim for providing some pushback. Otherwise, it's unchecked propaganda in which one or two guys feel a need to do something and post something daily to get their likes from the five people who do so.

For the first time in my life, I feel compelled to open a FB account.

H2oChick, DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I read past the most recent posts about TnA on the Facebook page, and he uses the same "technical is bad" language and tone for Stairsteps and Mentally Sensitive. I'd bet anything that this was only phase 1.

DangerDirtyD, herzalot and MattB like this.
  26. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I knew it was coming but had forgotten about it, someone mentioned it in a thread here awhile back. Damn.
    So we had better get our stairsteps in while we can? Might go ride it today.

27. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Done!

Obsidian, DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  28. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I wrote this:

Howdy,
    I'm Mikie Watson of imtbtrails.
    A Southern California Mountain Bike Forum that has actually grown to outside of So Cal. The membership is primarily focused in the OC although I myself am located in the Greater Frazier Park Area up Interstate 5.

There is quite the uproar on my forum from the sanitization efforts your organization has conducted in your local area.

The trail TnA is the hot subject at this time. There is a vast difference between trail maintenance and trail sanitization. Understandably, there are many levels of riders in this world which often equates to varying levels of trails. Thus the beginner, intermediate, expert, diamond, double diamond mentality and desire to have such designations.

With good intensions, I believe that your organization is "sanitizing" desired trails by those who appreciate the challenging terrain. Many of the higher caliber riders of imtbtrails are currently fuming over these efforts and for good reason. The more challenging the trail, the more enthusiastic they are.

There needs to be a compromise. Apparently this has been going on for quite some time. There is a tremendous appreciation for what is trail maintenance and nobody wants to get beat up for doing good works, but on the flip side "dumbing down" classic So Cal trails will not get a high approval rating.

So how can we communicate and compromise without going to war over this? If indeed your intensions are to build awesome trails, it would seem this would be in your interest.

Sincerely,
    Mikie Watson
    imtbtrails.com

shawndoh, Obsidian, H2oChick and 10 others like this.
  29. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    I'd guess LCF needs ok from the Ranger to do such large scale projects with heavy equipment. Maybe a powwow with the Rangers, out of concern for all user groups.... Would be good to have end users in on the approval process before this kind of stuff is done.

LCF has pics posted on FB of their work on 5 Oaks, Mentally Sensitive, Car Wreck and Stairsteps. Not all of it is bad or dumbing down, but concerned for what their future plans are, after seeing what they did with TnA.

mtnbikej, Faust29, littlewave and 4 others like this.
  30. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Thanks for the great post on their FB page! I liked Hallie's positive and constructive response, too!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?