LazyBone Garmin mount

Discussion in 'Computers/GPS SYstems' started by RS VR6, Sep 19, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I came across this while randomly searching Garmin mounts. I've tried pretty much every mount combination there is. I was looking for a mount that centered on my 50mm Atlas stem. The I have the K-Edge Gravity, standard, and adjustable stem mounts. The Gravity Cap puts the Garmin too far back and high and the stem mounts put it too far forward (520 sticks past the stem). I've also got the SRAM Quickview. Just don't like the look in general. The stock rubber band mount just didn't work. So I came across this. The LazyBone mount on the Shapeways site. It comes out of a 3D printer and for 25 bucks shipped its on the pricey side...but hey...it's exactly what I was looking for. This thing weighs nothing and feels mad brittle in my hand...but so far...it's holding up. The Garmin has a solid click when you twist it on. It also has a loop for your Garmin leash.

IMG_20160914_153353.jpg

IMG_20160914_153421.jpg

2. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Some people use the out front mounts on the bar and face it backwards. Puts the Garmin next to the stem.
    I can't quite see, does that replace a spacer?

Mikie likes this.
  3. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    I doesn't really replace a spacer. Its recessed where the top cap goes. It kinda gets sandwiched between the spacer and top cap.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/TLC4FEU5N/lazybone-stem-cap-mount-for-garmin-edge

I oriented the Quickview and the stock Garmin mount to where the Garmin mounts on the side of the stem. Did a few rides like that. Couldn't get used to it on the side of the stem. I've seen guys that use Leftys run the mount that way.

Mikie likes this.
  4. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Looks like a nice mount. How long have you had it? Still working well? It could be a good option for me on my 50mm stem. Currently using the stock bar mount with the rubber bands and I constantly need to fiddle with it to hold it in place.

Mikie likes this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I like that a lot! I have an Edge 705, be nice to mount up off the steer tube like that.

6. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    I've had it for about three weeks. Honestly it feels brittle in my hands. I dropped it and though it was going to shatter when it hit the ground:Roflmao. The Garmin attaches with a fairly clean and solid click. It twists on with a 1/8 turn vs the standard 1/4. With the Garmin on...it feels pretty solid. I haven't done any rides where the bikes really gets hammered. It arrived after the I got back from Mammoth:rolleyes:.

Lol...maybe they can make you one! It does come out of a 3D printer. :D:D

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I use a Garmin Out Front on both bikes...with my eyesight it has to be farther away.:cry::poop:

The Out Front is solid, doesn't loosen up with vibration (I've had mine installed for at least a year and never had to tighten it) and puts the Garmin right where I need it.

Faust29, RS VR6 and Mikie like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Northrop Grumman is using 3D printers more and more. It's an excellent way to develop a prototype. I often thought about dimensional stability and how durable it would be. I suspect it will get better and better. Please keep us posted on how long it lasts.
    That looks so legit on your bike.
    Thanks Lee!

Mikie

RS VR6 likes this.
  9. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    The out front mount does give you the best viewing position on the bike. I do have one on my road bike. What concerns me about the out front on a MTB is what happens to your Garmin in the event of a crash. There is an extremely good chance that the bar will twist and the Garmin will be one of the first things to hit the ground (besides my crumpled body:D). The out front mount sticks out farther than anything else on the handlebar. IMO, the safest spot on the bike is going to be on top of the stem. i tried other random spots like the top tube and even the seat tube...but I can't see the Garmin in those spots. I guess if you have a good enough crash and the bikes goes tumbling...the Garmin will probably get ejected no matter where it's mounted.

Its truly amazing what can be 3D printed these days. I read something the other day that some kind of 3D printed bone graft is going into a patient. Pretty soon we're going to have 3D printers as household appliances to where if we need something around the house...we can just print it out...like that bone graft.:laugh:

Faust29, Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Osteopathy at home!!:thumbsup:

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  11. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Found out I don't need one of these since I proceeded to lose my Garmin after yesterday's ride :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::cry:

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  12. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Bummer man. My GF's 510 flew off her bike too. We spent who knows how long going back up and down the trail looking for it. She had that aluminum Dog Ears broken tab replacement piece. That thing never worked that well. Never had a secure click.

Mikie likes this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That blows... I keep mine attached to the bars with the little lanyard that came in the box. It's saved me a few times when the mount has come loose.

I'm seriously thinking about one of these stem mounts...

Mikie likes this.