Las Virgenes trails

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by buggravy, May 18, 2019.

1. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol
    Anyone know if the Ridge Connector, or any other trails (Morrison, Edison) heading toward Chesebro from LV trailhead have been cleared in the last couple weeks? I'm guessing not, but I'm looking for a route that gets me over that way from LV so that I can finish doing the full length of Sheep Corral going west to east. I suppose I could just go the reverse direction on SC to start, head to China flat, and then reverse my tracks, but would rather make it a bit more loopish.

UPSed likes this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Palo was still overgrown in sections last week but nothing impassable. I would work my way there from the LV side.

3. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    It's the working my way there part that has me scratching my head. Any suggestions? Last time I rode past Ridge Connector it was darn near unrideable. I wouldn't have touched it at that point, and that was 3 weeks ago (actually it was that day I ran into you), so I'm guessing it's even worse now. I may just do the grind up the fire road and come around from Albertsons, but I'm having trouble psyching myself up for that.

UPSed likes this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    From the LV side I think it's called the apartment climb. When you get to the fork at the top you take a right and follow that over towards Pump Hill. From there drop down to to Cheeseboro Canyon and follow that down to the parking lot and over to Palo Comado. I'm sure there are a few sections that might be a little overgrown but you never know. You might get lucky.

buggravy likes this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm actually heading over that way now from home. It may be an hour and a half or so before I get to LV though.

6. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    I’m on kid detail this morning, so not getting out until lunch time. I’m going to drive over and scope out Edison, and hopefully take that up and over to PC. If you see anything noteworthy I’m all ears, but please don’t go out of your way to do my recon. Have fun!

UPSed and bigringrider101 like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    As of a few weeks ago when I was there, the ridge connector route from LV was fairly clear, overgrown but not impassable. However, dropping down into Cheseboro Canyon from up there is way overgrown.

Now that some sections of the Backbone Trail have reopened, I'm gonna go do a recon ride from Encinal Canyon to Mishe Mokwa and back. According to the fire map, that entire section is inside of the burn zone so I am afraid of what I will find. :unsure:

8. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for the intel! Please report back with what you see on Backbone. That has been on my hit list, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

9. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    If you want to meet up, I am flexible today .

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    According to a customer of mine Backbone is in excellent shape right now.

11. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Sending you a pm momentarily.

12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Thanks Ed, that's good news. That's half the concern. The other half is the fire damage to the foliage.

13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Stay out of the foilage and you'll be fine. :gag:

For future reference the route I posted above is fine. There are still a few sections that are closed in but not bad.