Lake Tahoe...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtbMike, Sep 18, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo & Intense Primer
    So after getting caught in Snowmageddon on the Tahoe Rim Trail from Mt Rose Hwy on Monday with @pdqmach26 and @pperrelle, we bid adieu to Paul. Bob and I decided to ride the Luther Pass to Mr Toads Wild Ride the next day. However, after reading several posts on MTBR, we decided to climb and extra 5 miles to Armtsrong to get the most DH bang for our buck. We ended up riding Armstrong to Armstrong Connector to Corral (which started out as chunk and then turned into a jump line) and conditions could not have been better due to the moisture from the day before. Beautiful scenery thru a dense green forest with tons of huge granite boulders surrounding you. I couldn't take many photos because Bob was so far ahead I had to keep going. Suffice to say, the DH portions once you got to Armstrong were a mix of flow, chunky flow and more flow for 3000+ feet. Definitely the most FUN I've had all week.

Today, Bob and I went out to Christmas Valley and went up the Luther Steps, did an out & back to Scott Lake and then went down 4+ mile on Christmas Valley...it starts as high speed flow but turns to chunk, the flow, then super chunk before turning to flow and adding a surprise drop or roller thru more chunk. If that's your cup of tea, this may be the best trail we rode. If I lived up here, it would be my "go to". https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/791574/tahoe-rim-trail-to-christmas-valley-trail

Off to Downieville in the morning!! :D

K1naVZL4RgilvsVNFQCw9g.jpg

TCrGfKq8QhqKYiEaLfK5Hw.jpg

Nf+4eUwoRfmnfy8Mt3u79g.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1071.jpeg

FVnoPf5xRPmU+%mGgx%pOw.jpg

0Zqp2XeHTHK+6tHG98dk1g.jpg

PNkZ55xbS4CLieU8dMMPpA.jpg

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    Dream trip!!!! Good on ya for making most of our dreams a reality. :thumbsup:

pperrelle, MrGreedom, mike and 2 others like this.
  3. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Are they finally rebuilding that bridge on Armstrong? That's been out my last couple trips there. Thx for the pics!

4. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    They have one beam across so you can walk across. Any idea what could possibly break that laminated beam? If you look thru the trees, just over the tip top of the sign, you can still see the fractured beam.

~JB~, pperrelle, MrGreedom and 2 others like this.
  5. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    1st time up here for me. Altitude is definitely a factor and they aren't big on traversing climbs, they like the more straight up the mountain approach. To be honest, the first two days didn't impress me much but these last two have been excellent.

~JB~, pperrelle, MrGreedom and 3 others like this.
  6. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    Nice report. I am fortunate the my wife grew up in South Lake and her mom still has a small home there. We ride through the meadow to the Railroad trail and climb up Fountain to ride Armstrong Connector and Sidewinder/Corral down. It is such a fun loop for sure, especially if there has been a little rain. The jump line at the end is such a fun way to end a ride. However, I did basically run into a mother bear and her two cubs, face to face coming around a corner. Fortunately, she didn't seem too startled and walked off the trail cubs in tow. Again, thanks for posting.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?