Lake Louise, Banff, Canada

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by littlewave, Jul 20, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Anyone been to the Banff area? Lake Louise specifically?

Heading up there over Labor Day on a family trip, planning on taking the bike, would love some intel. Looks like there are some trails right at Lake Louise, maybe some even better stuff in Banff itself, and some lift accessed riding in Golden. Figure there has to be some good stuff nearby. It is the Rockies after all.

Also, anyone have a bike bag they want to loan out over Labor Day?

Mikie, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nothing to offer except my congratulations for getting to go there. Never been, but I know it's beautiful with lots of rec ops.

Mikie likes this.
  3. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I grew up in Calgary. I didn't ride when I lived there but I know there is some great riding all over that area. The National Parks do allow MTB on some real singletrack trails. It is worth researching first so you make sure to hit the good stuff, and because they do have some seasonal closures for bikes, to keep people safe from grizzlies.

Golden has some great trails. And there is some spectacular high alpine riding in Revelstoke like Keystone Standard Basin and Mt Cartier. That's maybe 90min beyond Golden but may be worth the drive if you have time. Closer to Banff, to the east there is Jumpingpound Ridge to Cox Hill southeast of Canmore.

Mikie, littlewave and herzalot like this.
  4. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Have never had to carry bear spray but every write up mentions it.

I came across Golden today in my research so that looks like it's on the agenda. Revelstoke, only ever heard about their skiing, need to look into the biking apparently.

Seems like Lake Louise proper only has two bike trails but the scenery is supposed to be incredible.

Found some good info on Banff, looks like there a couple trails worth driving into town for so will get out there as well.

Keep the info rolling!

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  5. kazindeep

kazindeep Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Norm
    check out the trail forks app. I used it to find trails and navigate while in Canada. Bear spray is a good idea

littlewave, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  6. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I carried it on one trip in the Chilcotins mainly because another guy in the group offered to buy it off me after the trip. You generally can't cross the border with it so you'd buy it up there and have to give/throw it away. The only grizzly I've ever seen was in Yellowstone. Personally I'd pass on the bear spray and instead ride with an excessively noisy bell, with lots of hooting and hollaring where you can't see far. What gets people in trouble is startling a bear. Normally if they can hear you coming they will move away unless they are being territorial over a food source - hence the closure to bikes during berry season.

littlewave, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Of all people... I am purchasing Bear Spray with all my latest local meet ups with bear...o_O

8. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    What's it cost, $30, $40? Small price to pay...

9. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Hmmm buy the berry flavored spray???
    Sorry Mikie I couldn't resist :whistling:

herzalot, Fueledbyex8 and Faust29 like this.
  10. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Just bumping this up to see if any kind soul has a bike bag they want to temporarily part with for Labor Day. Would trade some $ or beer if necessary.

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Ev, I know at least one TD rider who passed thru the Roosville port of entry with bear spray. She was fiddling with the canister and accidentally sprayed herself in the face. The POE guys saw it happen on surveillance vid, and were yucking it up over her blunder (no serious damage to her). Hi, veggi-girl!

@littlewave what kind of bag are you looking to borrow (contents?)? What's your drop-dead date?

littlewave likes this.
  12. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    @mike

Ah, a travel bag for the bike itself!

Planning on flying with the bike.

mike likes this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Oh, that contents!

You know what I'm gonna suggest... the best way to avoid shipping a bike over land :sneaky:

14. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Nope, I don't know.

15. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Before my Alabama trip I did some research on traveling with my bike as I was contemplating bringing my bike with me instead of renting one. All the articles I read suggested foregoing the bike bag and instead visiting a local bike shop to see if they would be willing to donate a discarded cardboard bike box. Here's once of the articles I read....

http://theradavist.com/2013/07/notes-on-air-travel-with-a-bicycle/

littlewave and mike like this.
  16. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Well I am sure I can keep the box my new bike is shipping in.

Cisco Roots likes this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Ride it! :D

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Here's a back pocket solution: https://www.bikeflights.com/

Maybe not exactly what you need, but I can vouch for the simplicity and economy of the service.

19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think we should all chip in and get him some salmon scented cologne for Christmas...

herzalot and mike like this.
  20. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Highball
    My wife and I drove from Calgary to SoCal a few years ago. We rode about every day. Here's 3 rides we did in that area. Golden was probably the best of the 3 even though it doesn't look too exciting on the GPS. We did come across a bear when riding in Banff and we were basically back at our campground when it happened.

https://www.strava.com/activities/71319593
    https://www.strava.com/activities/71319589
    https://www.strava.com/activities/71319592

We were just up there a couple weeks ago and almost went to Banff. Instead I spent the day riding Calgary Olympic Part. It was fun, but wouldn't be worth the drive down the hill.

I've also been to Bragg Creek. https://www.strava.com/activities/177799154
    It was good, but also not worth the drive down the mountain, but if ever in Calgary it's just outside of town.

This place was real cool too - http://www.skytrekadventurepark.com/ - it's just past Revelstoke

littlewave and herzalot like this.
  21. kazindeep

kazindeep Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Norm
    You're talking about grizzlies, not black bears and I had no problem bringing bear spray back to the USA...not sure where you're getting your info

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?