Laguna Coast Wilderness Park

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by littlewave, Mar 25, 2016.

1. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Oh i hope they dont change camarillo...
    I still cry when i ride barnam ridge at oaks...
    Then im all better after chutes...

2. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Beer in camel pack...i know u thought about it...

Obsidian, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    OK, putting aside our collective desire to convince Mark that he might actually enjoy one or more of the 30 trails in our area, I am concerned about the bulldozer/Bobcat.

I just sent an e-mail to LCF to see what's up.

MrGreedom, mike, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  4. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I'm gonna ask around as well to see if I can get some intel for you.

MrGreedom, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  5. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Barham is starting to come back though. You can actually get air off the first big rock now ... I feel like all they did was plow dirt over the rocks, rather than plow up the rocks. A few good rains will tell the tale.

mike, Cyclotourist, konakc and 5 others like this.
  6. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    The rocks are creeping back ...

mike, Faust29, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Response regarding the Bobcat on Camarillo:

The heavy equipment is being used on the upper section fire road section of trail, to narrow the trail by bringing in rock and moving dirt.

Hope it's true! :thumbsup:

8. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    Medium size chank.

kyPuS4GwA2VV-t9yA8F0dci-W6Bh1hNy6Y0DySu-s3M-2048x1536.jpg

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    THAT looks inviting....:laugh:

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    They do like to import rock. I guess that's better than eliminating rock.

kioti, mtnbikej, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    So, I'm still trying to figure out how an earth-moving implement (bobcat) can be used to create singletrack. :eek:

If it's actually possible, great. I just can't get my mind (what there is of it) to visualize that.

TwoWheel Eric and mike like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I get how a bobcat can be used to create singletrack somewhere where there is no trail, but I too am having trouble visualizing what the mini-dozer can do to turn a road into a trail. Maybe tear apart the sides? Build some embankments? Carve out a trail that sits deeper than the surrounding road bed?

I guess we will see soon enough. Well, maybe not "we.." o_O

kioti, HBkites, mike and 4 others like this.
  13. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    There is nothing wrong with the fire road that needs fixing ... it is fast, chunky and rutty. Seems to me like the parks have excess money they need to get rid of, so they create projects for themselves.

14. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Exactly what is being done. Got confirmation.

herzalot and mike like this.
  15. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Is there parking at the bottom of Camarillo that i can access at 6:30am? I know the willow parking lot but not sure how early that opens. Just thinking of a Quick up/down before work tomorrow without a big loop. Maybe up willow and over to Camarillo is best idea?

mike likes this.
  16. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Sorry, never mind

81C89F2B-4DCB-4E87-81C1-FD97EDE1B0E5.jpeg

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Seems like a win to me. Singletrack > fire road. I am a little surprised they are allowed to do so, however.

Faust29, pperrelle, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Considering that Camarillo used to be just a straight steep fire road before they re-routed it, converting the top road back down to ST should be nice.

Faust29, DBMX119, pperrelle and 4 others like this.
  19. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Time will tell, but hard to believe it will be a lasting singletrack. That fire road is 15 ft wide.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  20. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    It was fire road top to bottom just a few years ago. Ticketron was also a big fire road and that’s all singletrack now.

mike, herzalot, Obsidian and 5 others like this.
  21. Ebruner

Ebruner Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    I rode LCWP yesterday to check out the work done and general condition of the trails.

Lizards - nearly perfect. The top part could use some repair to clean up all the p-lines that have formed.

Camarillo - Top fire road drop in has been turned into single track. The trail snakes back and forth between large (3-4' diameter) rocks that were placed. Vegetation and sticks were placed to make it feel more closed in and the work looks great. It doesn't however ride all that well as the entry to each corner is slightly banked giving way to flat or off camber corner apex's. The work is gorgeous and looks sustainable, but it's going to trip a lot of riders up and cause some crashes until people adjust. Overall I'm happy with it but I do wish they had carried berms. The off camber transition is startling and will catch all but the more experienced riders off guard the first 1-2 times down. Overall an improvement over the rutted mess that was there before. See images below.

Stagecoach to nix - Great shape, hero dirt.

Stagecoach to willow, also great shape, a few wet spots and mud puddles but general not beat up.

Willow and the fire roads that line the ridges got beat up pretty bad by people being on them too early when it was muddy. Lots of tire ruts, and foot prints that will be with us all summer. I can't believe people just went through this and pushed through.

BE35WVg.jpg

Photo was taken about 30' after the right turn from serrano onto camarillo if heading east. There are about 5 of these corners and they look about the same.
    6hDNEuV.jpg

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Sounds like they didn’t like the high speeds on the road down to Camarillo. So the turned it into Singletrack with man made speed governors.

23. Ebruner

Ebruner Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    yeah this will slow people down quite a bit. It's gorgeous work... more akin to what was done on lizards then what was done on TnA. What makes the corners slightly odd is they look like they are going to be banked/bermed and you can carry speed through them but they are a bit finicky. Next time i'm going to try and cut a wide entry into them and ramp off of the inside of the corner to jump over the apex. Overall, great work and in time, I'm sure it will end up riding well once it erodes and packs in. It definitely makes a for a great little run from bommer ridge to the bottom of stagecoach.

24. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. Sounds like a good approach, barring an adjustment in the berms. Maybe Mike can add some hooks to help with the transitions. How are the sight lines? Good down-trail visibility can help prevent accidents and user conflict/surprises.

25. Ebruner

Ebruner Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    The sight lines are very good actually. You can tell a lot of thought went into it which is a promising sign for future work that may be planned. I hope I didn't give the impression that it was a bad design or bad work, it's just that the corners are more deceiving then you think they are going to be. They aren't quite as simple as a typical bermed corner. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the work they put in. I also did not notice anything detrimental on any other parts of camarillo. They did a little maintenance but there was no noticeable dumbing down of anything. The center technical section seems easier then in past months but not in a bad way. I'm sure the dirt will leave it's newly found home in time and it will be back to chunky. Right now it's just notchy at best, no defined chunk.

Cyclotourist, mike, pperrelle and 6 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You're welcome! ;)

I've been nagging the hell out of LCF with their CEO, plus put boots on the ground with their lead trail designer/builder/sometimes destroyer while doing trailwork. I will take 0.075% credit - and give Hallie Jones 78.43% for understanding mt bikers although she is not one herself - and providing direction, and Mike Hall the remaining 21.495% for listening and implementing.

27. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Yeah, but how we gonna keep the Chameleon Club off those rocks in @Ebruner's first shot? They live for chunk!

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I rode that section of Camarillo today and concur 100% with @Ebruner. The turns look great, but are very awkward. I nearly lost the front end twice, and I wasn't going very fast. I saw a lot of skid marks at apex and a lot of tire tracks off the side of the trail. I noticed huge drainage features that eliminated anything for my tires to push against past the apex of the turns. It's a little sad, because the work is pretty and looks like it should be a blast. Maybe it will "bed in" somehow and transform to a more rideable state.

I wrote a gentle letter to LCF, complimenting the work, but providing some feedback and offering to do some "fine tuning" work. I will keep nudging.

29. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    A friend of mine reported back after riding it that the turns were all sloped away so you could not rail them and that it would be better if.... we’ll you know, made to ride fast.

30. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    @herzalot @dustyyoungblood yup agree I had same experience, like it better than the fire road, glad I was warned a bit I rode it Thursday late afternoon in dusk.. excited to see the ST but same as Hertz..found myself off balance and unable to push through the turns... But hey I'll give it a months and see what happens