LA Times is anti-mountain bike (wilderness related)

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by littlewave, Jan 7, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    No surprises there.

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Why not allow Ebikes as well? Seems like the definition of “mechanized” is an arbitrary threshold.

mountaingirl sara, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I saw an ad for Fitness Singles in that link. Says it’s a place to meet single cyclists. :facepalm:

I’d like to quote a part of that report:

“A clutch of mountain bikers is probably no more destructive to the wilderness environment than a horse train”.

5. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    ?

mountaingirl sara, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Why allow access to pedal bikes but not Ebikes? My bad...I meant “mechanized” not “motorized.”

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The concept of a mechanized-free Wilderness, including bikes, is, in isolation, something I agree with. My issue with agreeing with it in policy is that Wilderness is not static. As seen, areas traditionally ridden for decades can suddenly (seemingly, somewhat arbitrarily) be declared Wilderness and thus riding becomes prohibited. Define a map and I can be behind it. Make it open ended, I can't.

Cisco Roots, HBkites, tick and 7 others like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Well now, as long as development remains in developed areas, the ratio of open space to that end doesn’t have to be re-evaluated for value, and a map that doesn’t require updates would make sense. However, if a response to urban sprawl, even little ity-bity pipelines and railroads and roadways traversing horizons with no permanent human occupation, is perceived as necessary, well then you get additional wilderness designations.

The science of impact analysis is still inconclusive...:facepalm:

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I could not read the article as I am not a subscriber. I would not pay the LA Times to read their rag even if they paid me. :gag:

This once again urges me to leave a State that is anti Mountain Biking and move to a State that embraces us.
    After talking with @Cisco Roots about what they are doing in Washington State and after seeing several videos to include the recent one I posted related to Arkansas, I really have no desire to be in a place I'm not wanted. My feelings towards Los Angeles are... mutual.

Cisco Roots, HBkites, mike and 6 others like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I think the science of impact makes decisions based on who pays them the most. :whistling:
    It's amazing how Environmental Impact Studies change especially in the OC when it comes to Developers with deep pockets.

11. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Agreed. The nexus for environmental studies is almost always a programmatic or site-specific development plan. That doesn’t mean you have to like the result, or even agree with it as an individual with capacity for autonomous thought. It’s simply :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:that the consensus is that there is none.

12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    It is not an article, it is editorial. It is one person's opinion - though the Times decided to run it.

Also, the bill does not allow unlimited bike access in Wilderness areas. It simply gives land managers the OPTION to allow it - when and where and if they see fit. Currently it is universally prohibited... which if you follow the letter of the law would immediately bar mountain biking in Aliso Creek and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park, and Laguna Coast Wilderness Park.

HBkites, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Aliso and Laguna are both county parks. Wilderness Act applies only on federal lands designated as wilderness.

HBkites, mike, tick and 7 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yes. You should try them some time!

15. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Thanks for the clarification. I would laugh at people showing photos of Rattlesnake with power poles and power line roads crisscrossing the photos. As for accessing wilderness you would find most of the wilderness is abandoned with 90% of the visitors on 10% of the trails. It seems there could be a compromise if people would learn to analyze the facts and not the emotions.
    Happy empty trails

HBkites, mike, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  16. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I guess I am lucky. I live out West where we have a few restricted trails and night riding is allowed since the parking lots close at dusk but the trails do not. We have so many trails that I am always wishing I could ride them all, but never do.
    Happy unlimited single trac trails

HBkites, mike, Fueledbyex8 and 4 others like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Someday...

18. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    It’s actually the Times editorial board’s opinion.

And although there are OC Parks Wilderness Parks, they are not “Wilderness” as that word is used by the federal government, so no, no immediate bar by the feds of bikes in our county parks (thankfully!).

19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    A distinction lost on 95% of park visitors... and for that matter on the LA Times, who included the pic in their rant about bikes in wilderness parks. Note they don't differentiate between one type of wilderness park or the other in their editorial.

When they changed Aliso Creek/Wood Canyon from regional park to "wilderness" was there any public commentary? Or did it just happen?

mike, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Everyone's favorite anti-mountain biking lunatic is actively commenting on that article... As he does on every mountain biking article on the web. That dude is just plain nuts.

21. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I would like to protect the wilderness as much as the next guy, but if they are looking to preserve the land keep all human out!
    All the bill is looking to do is transfer the decision making to the local land manager who could potentially allow bikes on some of the lands under his control.

mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD, mike and 2 others like this.
  22. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    This problem is on a federal level. Moving will only "fix the problem" if you move all the way to Canada.

23. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I think you will find that you'll face some of the same issues even when you move to other states. Wilderness designations, recommended wilderness and WSA's exist everywhere there is Federal land and the latter two are harder to find on maps (Trialforks now shows WSAs but not RW). You might hear how things are great in another place from people who visit because most people visit the popular spots where biking is established and accepted. But once you start venturing off the beaten path into the backcountry you'll find similar issues with connectivity and access fragmented by wilderness and other designations. Trail access and development outside those areas often comes down to the whim of the Forest service or BLM district manager. Some of them support bikes or recreation, some don't. Eventually they move on and things can change for the good or for worse. Same in local parks. Some are people friendly to bikes, some are not. Part of the problem we have in CA is that there is such a large population many trail systems are very crowded. Unfortunately these are the only trail systems a lot of people visit and they assume that backcountry and wilderness areas will be the same if bikes are allowed there. A few would see lots of use, but most would be far too much work and hike a bike for most people to want to ride. How many people rode Burkhart Trail in the Gabes before it became wilderness?

Oh, and.... btw that article is a year old. Jan 2018.

24. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    :bang:
    I read the January 3 part and my brain turned off!

25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm pretty confident their editorial stance has not changed in the past 53 weeks. ;)

26. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I probably shouldn't admit this, but my wife and I actually met on Fitness Singles over 11 years ago.

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Bravo, Mr & Mrs Gravy. :thumbsup: Climbing gym here. :geek: It’s a jungle out there. Gotta find the right tree.

28. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I think that is fantastic! :thumbsup:

Here's something funny. I met who would end up being my wife in a video arcade back in '81. We dated for a year and then moved on but there something was special between us. We reunited in the mid 90s and we are still rolling along today.

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That is cool... :thumbsup: and very familiar.

Met my future wife in '82. Went our separate ways. Back together in '86 and ever since.

30. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I was born in ‘81, good year!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?