KTM Anyone?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by Danmtchl, Aug 14, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Tags:
  1. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Has anyone ridden or Demoed a KTM Bike yet? I am sure there are plenty of opinions out there on them. Thanks in advance.

Mikie likes this.
  2. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I would like to. If they ride like their bigger brothers I wouldn't mind having one.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I hear the right grip keeps slipping on those.

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    image.jpeg
    The KTM Aera 27 Comp mountain bike is a high performance race-ready rig that delivers all the goods at a budget-friendly price. The Area 27 Comp is built around a full M:1454 performance carbon fiber frame that is stiff, light, and durable so you can get up to speed faster and stay there longer with less effort. The hardtail design improves pedaling efficiency and makes climbing easier--which is great when it's race time or when you're out to tame some fast and flowy trail. When things get rocky and rutted though, up front is a RockShox Recon Gold 27" suspension fork with a forgiving 100mm of travel.
    Shifting duties are handled by Shimano's excellent Deore 2x10 group set with a crisp shifting action, legendary reliability, and excellent design. Braking is handled by the Deore M615 hydraulic disc brakes, which deliver smooth, powerful, easily modulated stopping power in all terrain and weather conditions. Rounding out the build are a set of Mavic XM319 rims laced to Shimano Deore hubs, all wrapped up in Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evo 27.5x2.25" tubeless tires. Topping the bike is a Selle Italia X1 Flow saddle, perched atop a KTM forged alloy 27.2mm seat post.

Danmtchl likes this.
  5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Thinking about picking up a Myroon 27. Buddy has one for sale dirt cheap.

Mikie likes this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Sorry, but that color scheme is just butt-ugly. IMNSHO, of course.

Other than that, it looks much like my Giant XTC.

MrGreedom, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  7. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    The one I am looking at is all orange.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    It is indeed hideous, and could likely be made by Giant and rebranded...

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  9. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    My Facebook feed keeps on showing KTM e-bikes. (-_-!)

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Well at least the Lycam LT looks pretty good:

KTM Lycam LT.jpg

I love the descriptions, translated from whatever language. Probably written by a non-rider.

"The 2016 Lycan LT has transformed into a weapon for marathons in its last stage of development. A Fox Float DPS Perf shock in the rear, and a Fox 36 Talas 160mm fork in the front handle suspension duties. The compact and rigid front triangle with its sloping geometry ensures a lower stand-over height. An improved bike handling was realized through a more flat head tube angle, steeper seat tube angle and longer top tube combined with shorter stem. To add the final touch to this harmonious concept, the ball bearings are bigger dimensions which results in better strength and durability."

Faust29, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Austrian...
    I never knew that KTM built bikes. In fact, I went to their site and they state they have been building bikes for 50 years. I thought they were going to be like Porsche who I assume just had some company brand them a bike to market. Does not appear to be the case.
    They have 21 bikes in the full suspension category alone; http://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/bikes/full-suspension.html

UPSed likes this.
  12. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    The bike company is only loosely affiliated with the motorcycle brand. They used to be the same, but years ago split apart and the bike company is much smaller, less well funded and less successful at this point.

Mikie likes this.
  13. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    @herzalot @Cougar there was a guy on Willow on a hardtail ktm...looked ok as he whizzed by me.

herzalot, Mikie and Cougar like this.
  14. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    they have been building cyclocross bikes since the 70's that i new of. But the last few years they have been coming out with new models. I know that they were using a FSR pivot and could not be sold here till the patent ran out.

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?