Koko Training in Ojai

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Two efforts here...
    First effort is to get Hooligans back on track to writing ride reports in the Ride Reports Forum, as oppose as to "I Rode My Bike"... :rolleyes:

The second is the effort to get back in shape ready for the 2019 Kokopelli bike trip in a few weeks! o_O I only say it that way as I just don't get to ride my bike as often as I like, and we actually had a real winter here in California that has replenished the State from our 5+ year drought! So who can really complain about all that wonderful water other than the fact it kept a lot of us off our bikes...:thumbsdown:

This torture trip was designed by our very own @Voodoo Tom by mapping it out on a website then uploading the file to his Garmin. We were "supposed" to do it last week but traffic accidents prevented it from being logical.

@UPSed joined us on this one. With Jennifer @MrsUPSed out of the country in London, Ed has WAY too much time on his hands and has been hitting the big miles and climbs, so I was glad and not glad he was going to drag my sorry azz all over the mountains.

upload_2019-3-31_11-14-59.png

Tom and I met Ed at the Summit Elementary School parking lot around 8:45am and were rolling by 9:00am. So we had 2 climbs we planned to do... Sisar and Sulphur Mountain. Glad we got Sisar out of the way first as it is the big climb. We have climbed Sisar several times in the past but not since all the downpour of rain. The creek was more like a small river and we had two water crossings we had to make on the climb. The first we rolled and I got my left foot wet but not soaked, the second we had to hop rocks as it was just too deep!

imtbtrail Hooligans! Every last one of them! Voodoo, Ed, and some dood...
    DSCF2745.jpg

The views were amazing, I had never seen it so green. The weather report said it was, as Ed put it, "Going to be windy AF!" But we never got that. Constant breeze all day but never overwhelming! I thought the weather was perfect! I had been pre-hydrating much more the last couple of weeks and I was sweating pretty heavy off my noggin'. Drip, drip, drip, drip... but about 2/3's into the ride I stopped sweating even though I kept a steady 100 oz Camelbak of water with Tailwinds flowing. o_O

Two guys we met on the climb up. Juan and Armando. Nice guys! They had never been there before. Their goal was to climb up to Red Reef and drop back down. A worthy endeavor! I hope they made it!
    DSCF2748.jpg

Voodoo cruizin' ahead.
    DSCF2750.jpg

Ed creeping up behind...
    DSCF2753.jpg

A lot of how Sisar responded to to the heavy rains on the climb up...
    DSCF2755.jpg
    Gaining so elevation and seeing all the green everywhere!
    DSCF2756.jpg

How I saw most of the day. Just not from this close... :whistling:
    DSCF2757.jpg

DSCF2758.jpg

Looking North on the other side of Nordhoff Ridge.
    DSCF2760.jpg

The last pic I took before we dropped Gridley.
    DSCF2761.jpg

I felt pretty good and felt mentally and physically prepared for the climb up Sisar. I pretty much knew at one point Ed would take off (and he did), that Tom would get sucked in to that once or twice (and he did)...:sneaky: But I knew I HAD to keep my cool and stay steady and consistent all day (which I did! :thumbsup:). That was not to say I was not beat by the end of the ride, which I was. :gag:

So the traverse over to Gridley went really well. They made me go first on the descent down Gridley :geek: which I was totally okay with. It was much more beat up from the heavy rains and definitely a lot more of a technical descent. We came across a few climbing it (walking it with bikes). I would say our pace was a conservative fast as it was my second fastest time dropping Gridley.

The next section was interesting as we had to traverse through Ojai to get to Sulphur Mountain. Riding down the paved bike path we stopped to get water at a 711. I'm not used to this kind of convenience and did not bring more Tailwind to add to my water, my fuel was a little more diluted than usual, so I drank even more water!

Sulphur Mountain was relatively an easy climb, it ranged from 4% to around 11%, I was just getting tired, my azz was hurting, both my knees were griping at me, but the views were awesome! It just seemed like the climbing was never going to end. But it did. The descent was paved so we made very quick time on a single lane paved road to the valley floor.

Sulphur Mountain is completely different from Nordhoff Ridge!
    DSCF2762.jpg

DSCF2764.jpg

DSCF2766.jpg

Looking down upon Ojai from the South side. A first for me!
    DSCF2769.jpg

Not exactly sure what Ed was saying or doing...
    DSCF2770.jpg

Looking South you could see the ocean and the islands! But what a view in front of it!
    DSCF2776.jpg

DSCF2777.jpg

A short ride to the Summit Elementary School that we left almost exactly 7 hours ago, we were ready for recovery beverages and some Mexican grub! Found a place to eat just off the 126 in Santa Paula and chowed!

It was a great route for Long Slow Distance in the saddle. I had switched out my Hightower saddle with the one on my Yeti. Big improvement going back to the Specialized Phenom! Also switched from Pearl Izumi Attack shorts to the Fox Ranger Shorts with it's insert, and that made a huge difference for my back side.:oops:

Thanks for the suffering feller's! Tom that was a GREAT route. Ed! Thanks for joining in on this one brothah!

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Great report, glad your new Fox Ranger shorts with insert were comfy. :whistling:

Ed is too skinny now. I liked him better when he had an energy pouch, like I've got now. :D

Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl, mike and 4 others like this.
  3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    And @UPSed broke a spoke...:Roflmao
    IMG_8981.jpg

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao I didn't even feel that!
    It was definitely a nice mellow cruise and I was fortunate to have the right size spoke when I got home so the wheel is fixed. Right now I'm starving so I'm going to eat lunch and I will come back and post a few pics from yesterday.

5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I still owe you $30 bucks dammit! :cautious:
    Give me a Pay Pal account! :mad:;):)

Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  6. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Oohhh! Those hills are so beautiful! Nice ride guys! Someday I’ll tag along ;)

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm glad I joined you guys yesterday. What a nice relaxing cruise. The miles and elevation were there but the pace almost made it seem easy. Here are a few pics.
    51.8 miles and 7,386 feet.
    20190330_093447-2016x1512.jpg 20190330_093452-1612x1209.jpg 20190330_114403-1612x1209.jpg 20190330_161043-1426x1070.jpg 20190330_160718-1467x1100.jpg 20190330_145914-2016x1512.jpg 20190330_100516-1008x756.jpg

8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Bring your plus wheels next time and it won’t be quite as easy:confused::gag::Roflmao. You know I just re-mapped it and if we added a red reef detour it’d be right at 60 and 10k, perfect for @mtnbikej and his Hightower.

9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    In! And don't forget @Faust29. He has a Hightower too!

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I’m in as well!

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Excellent ride and reportage, guys!!!!!! Sending!!!! :thumbsup::notworthy:

12. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Nice one muchachos :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  13. Old Skool

Old Skool Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    Now I see what an LSD ride is Mikie! Nice job

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  14. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    So Ed where did you find the extra 2 miles and 400 ft elevation? Or are all your ride stats inflated? :p

I see some poodle dog coming up in pic 3.

Nice work all, looks like a fun ride

Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I got to the top of the first climb and instead of taking a nap I decided to go back down and gather up the other two.:p

And to answer your other question of course my ride stats are inflated. Do you actually think I ride that much? :eek:

Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej, Mikie and 3 others like this.