Kernville Memorial Day 2015

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by evdog, Jun 13, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    A few of us headed up to Kernville for Memorial Day weekend. Somehow a couple years had passed since the last trip up, so we were really looking forward to it. For a couple riders, it was their first trip up. Our friends Tara and Jeremy set up the trip but we ended up in different campgrounds and with somewhat different rides in mind.

We did ride Cannell with them. The other couple that was with them knew a large group that showed up on the MRA shuttle. I should say shuttles, as 4 van loads showed up at Sherman Pass all at once. Rather than deal with all that traffic on the trail we headed up to Sherman Peak first.

Cool mist up top
    DSC02933_zpsw35xc35b.jpg

We self shuttled and had a few minutes to wait for the others

DSC02935_zpsytp7hp7c.jpg

The trail to Sherman peak was in and out of fog, pretty cool. Out of 70 on the vans only 2 others headed for the summit.

Kreechan maxxes out his summit points
    DSC02955_zpsvqc30fxi.jpg

The ride down was fun as always, and seemed longer than the last time up.
    DSC02959_zpsdb3ct3go.jpg

DSC02963_zpsykufrffz.jpg

DSC02978_zpsfi3ospy8.jpg

The whole thing took a while, we did not get back to Sherman pass til 1:30 or so.

We were hoping to get back down before another wave of shuttle vans showed up. Not sure if there were any, and we did not see another mountain biker the rest of the day!

On to Cannell....
    DSC02983_zpsjfbmzvhi.jpg

While the trail has some incredible sections, there are a few climbs that for some reason take more fun out of the ride for me than climbs normally do.

DSC03000_zps2gsfwtqq.jpg

DSC03002_zpsi59zxjmz.jpg

Tara kept asking how far to the plunge?? I have only done the full ride once, and inevitably forgot 2, 3, 4 of the climbs that were left. Ooops!

Soon enough though, we were there.
    DSC03016_zpsed4zezzj.jpg

Late afternoon meant great light on the descent
    DSC03023_zpsvlz1dwok.jpg

DSC03025_zpsvejz0xo7.jpg

DSC03027_zpsvxaqdiud.jpg

DSC03038_zps1wdbgdgs.jpg

DSC03043_zps01myluxx.jpg

DSC03048_zpsbt6icwlc.jpg

Pretty sure this is Poodle dog bush on either side of the trail
    DSC03055_zpsv55in8mr.jpg

DSC03059_zpsvagvakm9.jpg

Final drop in
    DSC03063_zpsrjop2ory.jpg

Tara got a flat right here at the end which was a bummer, as beers were calling!
    DSC03068_zpsb3brqimo.jpg

Kreechan had gone ahead with Russ as he had a big tear in his sidewall and wanted to pick up a new tire in town. I gladly handed off my keys so they could retrieve shuttle after. The rest of us took our sweet time and headed straight over to the brewery from the bottom. Not much wait was awesome for a long weekend! While this still isn't my favorite ride it was awesome having it to ourselves. We only saw a couple motos and a truck on the roads after leaving the trailhead.

Albacore, kioti, mike and 1 other person like this.
  2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    The second ride Cedar Canyon was one I have been wanting to do for ages. Seeing a few recent RR's on the forums really lit a fire, so off we were back up to Sherman Pass for a second straight day.

The four of us would be on our own, as Tara/Jeremy and co only wanted a short shuttle on JO for the day.

No MRA shuttles in sight so it was just us and a couple moto touring bikes up top.
    DSC03069_zpsf4fd35ez.jpg

We took off down Sherman Pass trail. Really fun trail that was longer than I remembered
    DSC03072_zpspwbvur6b.jpg

On to Beach Trail which is a pretty good MTB trail for a moto trail. Most of the trails up there are not bad, just spots where the trail is steep they get loose and rutted.
    DSC03089_zpshct2xiec.jpg

Lunch stop on Schaeffer Tr
    DSC03100_zpspsbn5xcm.jpg

From the intersection of Beach/Schaeffer the day would be all new dirt for me.
    DSC03105_zpsjj009wry.jpg

DSC03106_zps3qhphrf3.jpg

We rode through a burn area that had a nice view of the Needles and Dome rock
    DSC03109_zpstoq2qlei.jpg

Cedar Canyon was a pretty fun descent. Steep in a few places, and definitely narrow. Hard to believe motos ride up that trail but we did pass a couple on the way up!
    DSC03143_zpsa39mogoo.jpg

Lots of water crossings in the trees high up, but down below we got into typical SoCal manzanita and sandy chutes
    DSC03152_zps1gltcdic.jpg

I figured Rincon would be the most heinous part of the day but it wasn't bad. We did push up the three main climbs but they were not long
    DSC03163_zpszogt93kv.jpg

DSC03164_zpsbeqnlwwl.jpg

DSC03172_zpslvx9qcix.jpg

The descents were pretty fun and had a few surprises to throw at us here and there with unexpected drops and ruts that appeared suddenly
    DSC03174_zps2w6jmc79.jpg

We turned down the connector down to Kern River Trail in anticipation of the exposed cliff side trail we had seen in some vids. But we had to check out the mine shaft first!
    DSC03193_zpsy0oclk1e.jpg

The trail itself wasn't scary. Just a couple spots where you had to watch your line otherwise it wasn't worse than anything in the santa anas or Gabes.
    DSC03200_zps4m4rufug.jpg

It definitely felt remote though
    DSC03215_zps4midiijl.jpg

DSC03216_zpsorgdulrt.jpg

I had hiked a mile or two of Kern River Trail fishing, and expected this section could be a lot of work. It was....
    DSC03230_zps78rvtqz3.jpg

There were some good stretches of rideable trail but there was also a ton of on/off the bike to climb over and around boulders and short steep sections. Lots of super technical riding as well.
    DSC03245_zpshwwo6vi4.jpg

Toward the end it was a bit more "rideable" but trail was also strewn with sharp angular rock. Very challenging. Parts reminded me of Noble Canyon's Stairway to hell but more exposure.
    DSC03251_zpsmpdkvwme.jpg

This section seemed to go on forever. Finally the bridge came into view
    DSC03253_zps2uf3epoh.jpg

There were tons of people camped up along the river, and plenty of hikers and fishermen out. A number wondered out loud what the heck we were doing on this trail. It is definitely a "type 2 fun" sort of trail. Some really fun tech sections though if that is your thing!

DSC03256_zpsixd9cpoh.jpg

This ride was much more remote feeling than Cannell, all singletrack, and no traffic. In hot temps it would be really tough as all the hard work is at the bottom. A lot of people won't like the tech on the Kern River Trail or the hike a biking on Rincon. But for those who love rocky tech and don't mind HAB this makes for a great ride.

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Oh hell yes I'm way jealous. Great RR and I think those could quite possibly be some of the best pics I've ever seen.

Mikie likes this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Oh my those were some great pics! What did you take them with???
    Thoroughly enjoyed the reports, especially on a ride I have ridden on and like to hear how others like them.
    Some how I totally missed the Mine Shaft. Where exactly is it?

I do like the "way out there" rides that give your that remote feeling... :? :eek:
    As long as I'm not alone! :lol:

Awesome Evan simply awesome report!
    I know how much time it takes to put a ride report like this together, so I genuinely appreiciate the effort and success!

5. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Love this kind of RR and specially with lots of pics !! thank you for sharing this ride with some of us simple peasants! (1+ to the bucket list)

Mikie likes this.
  6. surftime

surftime Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli screamy Stump Jumper FSR
    WOW, I have not even been riding lately so im just lurking but have to say that was a nice RR - great photos as well!

Mikie likes this.
  7. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    For the third ride on the trip I really wanted to take the guys on Tobias. Kreechan had ridden it before when we did trailwork and had to bushwack/swim out a few years ago, but has not seen it since it has been opened. I figured it would be a decent ride for the last day so we left a car at McNally's over night to save time on the shuttle. We were camped at Boulder Gulch which was pretty close to the start of the ride.

We parked a few miles north of Greenhorn summit and pedalled the fire roads up to Portuguese Pass where we hopped onto moto singletrack for a while
    DSC03258_zpscd6lcjyz.jpg

DSC03259_zpsd5uh52px.jpg

The trail from there is pretty fun but soon enough we were back on fire road. The trails were perfectly tacky from rains a few days before. The fire roads got a bit sloppy for a mile or so near Frog Meadow
    DSC03264_zpsu4jystqa.jpg

We stopped for lunch at Frog Meadow CG. Russ was feeling the beers from prior night
    DSC03265_zpsg6fluuln.jpg

No snow but it seemed a little early to be up here, past times Frog Meadow was a lot more green and lush
    DSC03266_zpsqn65whci.jpg

Getting ready to descend
    DSC03267_zps5meaitzz.jpg

DSC03269_zps4yruhhyf.jpg

Trail was in pretty good shape with a few trees down requiring go-arounds
    DSC03273_zps4ufvseif.jpg

Great views
    DSC03280_zpsnsjtaj4i.jpg

Awesome riding in the trees
    DSC03283_zpsx7n5pesb.jpg

DSC03289_zpshqk1dp65.jpg

DSC03292_zpsvsdtgd1j.jpg

Tobias had seen work recently from Stewards of the Sequoia which was good to see.
    DSC03295_zpsqt60h5gb.jpg

Also good to see that some of Jeff's original work was still in place
    DSC03305b_zpszxkcdjla.jpg

This is about where the going used to get tough (overgrown)
    DSC03311_zpsgndrkldi.jpg

Trail will probably need to be brushed again by next year, parts are already growing in. Its in good shape right now though
    DSC03318_zpsttpp6qg6.jpg

They built and alternate line to the left of the rock slab here that Kreechan is on
    DSC03324_zps8dkzpsgw.jpg

Still dropping
    DSC03327_zpswrxq6ns6.jpg

Not too much further and we were out and across the bridge to Mcnally's. We had a burger there since Kreechan would drive back to the bay area after dropping me back at the truck.

In retrospect we should have brought a second truck as it would have cut out 2 long shuttle retrievals. We could have left one up top after Cannell and just retrieved from Sherman Pass once. Then left another at McNally's that could carry everyone back to Greenhorn from there in one go.

Still a great weekend!

littlewave, kioti, mike and 3 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM

Agreed on the pics! Very nice...

Mikie likes this.
  9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Thanks Mikie, and others!

Took a few minutes on google to find the camera model, its a Sony DSC-HX9V. Not sure they make it anymore or what might have replaced it. Good camera though, 16x optical zoom, great colors, fast burst mode and useful digital pano feature. My main complaint is it takes forever to switch between modes, or to shut down (makes a difference if you stop to take lots of pics). It has a lot more features than I could ever use. Have not figured out how to take good pics with it in darker conditions.

You don't remember the mine? Look back in the vid from the other thread (I just did), at 1:45 you are staring at it :lol:

Mikie likes this.
  10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    @evdog
    Thanks for the info on the camera!

THAT, was that mine shaft? I thought I remember looking in it and not seeing much. Did not realize it went that far in. Thanks!

11. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    another thanks for the very awesome pics! fantastic RRing

I gotta get up there again. maybe this fall

Mikie likes this.
  12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    @evdog
    I saw a pic from this ride report in the upper right. It's a GREAT RR!
    This is essentially 3 Ride Reports in one. Bang for your Buck!

Thought I would bring it to the surface again...

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  13. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Thanks Mikie!

I was envious of your recent TR from up there. It has been years since I got up to Kernville in the springtime to ride, usually it is summer and too hot to ride any of the lower stuff.

Mikie likes this.
  14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Uhhh, Yah know? ...We can change that.:sneaky:
    I have yet to ride with the infamous evdog. To ride Kernville with the dawg-ster could begin to complete my 2016 bucket list...:thumbsup:
    I need little to no excuse to hit the Sierra's in any capacity...
    For example: Cannel and Tobias are both on my Do-Over List already. We get jfsh involved, I would get down right giddy.

UPSed likes this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Wow, solid gold report, Ev. If those pics don't get a rider jonesing, nothing will! You have a great knack for plundering the goods – good on you and thanks for the share. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Next time a SoSierra group ride comes up, I'll give a kidney to be part of it.

Mikie likes this.
  16. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    And that's why the photos in the header are a MUST!
    I miss that area! We used to go to Lake Isabella several times a year and when the wind wasn't cooperating for windsurfing we head out on the trails.
    Just maybe there will be a little more water in the Lake this year (or next) to go play on. It's all up to Mother Nature and the Army Corps of Engineers.

Mikie likes this.
  17. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Baaaaaaallllllllz Evdog!

Mikie likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?