Kernville Labor Day 2015

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by evdog, Aug 9, 2018.

1. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Second TR from Summer 2015 I forgot to post here:

This year was the tri-fecta of long weekend Kernville trips. It is such an easy destination and we have found that leaving early Saturday morning rather than face Friday afternoon traffic is a good way to go.

Dom and Gil joined me this trip. Dom had never been to Kernville. Gil has many times but never up top to Kern Plateau.

For Saturday we left town around 530 and drove up 395. That to 9-Mile Canyon is the easiest way to access the plateau and traffic was minimal. For a ride we did a loop in the same area Brian and I did for 4th of July up to Jackass Peak.

This time though we climbed up a dirt back road. This drops us a short climb below Jackass Peak, where we started a loop around it

Dom on Jackass Peak Trail

DSC05052_zpslevxuxcz.jpg

Monache Meadow with Olancha Peak in the background

DSC05056_zpsgcpzd8xn.jpg

DSC05059_zpstoiw7g2e.jpg

We pedalled through the meadow for a while and decided to try an alternate route from what Brian and I did.

We stayed on singletrack, which was half hike a bike.

DSC05061_zpsfuzybmvs.jpg

The forest road turned north briefly then west, it was mostly in the trees, mostly rideable, and pretty interesting for a forest road. It took us pretty close to the top of the singletrack HAB so this will be my route for future rides

DSC05061_zpsfuzybmvs.jpg

Climbing back up to Jackass Peak to the Wilderness Boundary also brings us to the top of Jackass Creek Trail

DSC05064_zpsqkmztbgn.jpg

The trail back to the truck is its usual rocky / flowy goodness

DSC05068_zpswpmpezwy.jpg

Pretty good ride and we finished just before dark.

Mikie, Maddog and Danmtchl like this.
  2. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Day 2 was a second attempt at Sirretta Peak Trail. Last trip Brian and I got turned back by an afternoon thunderstorm. This time, we hit the trail first thing rather than doing another ride first.

We start with a "wrong-way" pedal a short distance on Cannell

DSC05073_zpsqse8lvka.jpg

This side of Siretta climbs 1,500ft in maybe 3 miles, so not much of it is rideable

DSC05079_zpsaeyhqt09.jpg

Further up it gets chunky

DSC05087_zpsswyywo2j.jpg

Looking back at Big Meadow

DSC05088_zpsl6vze8nc.jpg

Still climbing

DSC05090_zpsujuhro2e.jpg

Another short pedal

DSC05092_zpsftyelqy6.jpg

Reaching the top

DSC05097_zps1kg7rbaw.jpg

The descent off the east side is an extra 1,000ft descent over a longer distance, so looked very promising. Trail conditions were a big unknown however, and this route does not see as much moto traffic due to technical difficulty and because it is an out and back for them.

Turned out the ride down was excellent!

DSC05100_zpst8qnabim.jpg

DSC05102_zpsyskfrhkw.jpg

Riding through a stand of gnarled old trees

DSC05107_zpsphzbyxmj.jpg

This log was just begging to be ridden so a ramp was quickly assembled

DSC05110_zpshtzfkaqr.jpg

DSC05115_zpseq0mxrv6.jpg

Continuing on

DSC05117_zpspkfhgtwg.jpg

Great view into the Domeland Wilderness

DSC05121_zpslcrahfsw.jpg

Dom was having some major tire problems and ended up having to hike out to the paved road from here. Gil and I rode on as we'd have to finish the route to retrieve the truck and pick Dom up. It turns out the climb out of Siretta was not as good and we ended up doing our fair share of hiking as well.

DSC05136_zps9fbfbjcq.jpg

Some parts were nice and once we got back onto Trout Creek Tr (moto tr) we were able to pedal most of it again

DSC05150_zpszcon43rq.jpg

There was a 500ft HAB back up to Sherman Pass we did rather than ride pavement up and we made quick work of that. Despite some haze even Langley and Whitney were visible in the distance

DSC05151_zpsnkc2zljd.jpg

To close the loop we had to ride the sucky part of Cannell. We pushed through and made quick work of that too.

DSC05155_zpskr9ee1wv.jpg

There was an option for me to drop Gil off to ride the Cannell plunge since we were already on that side but the day's ride had been big enough, and with high likelihood of finishing in the dark, he opted out of that and we headed off to find Dom.

Next up was a swim and then dinner at KRBC

Overall impression of Siretta Trail - I liked it, but the climb out sucks. I would be interested to ride it the other direction as an alternative to Cannell. You would get a fun descent down (though some on/off for creek crossings) and then it would be a big 2,500 climb up to Siretta Pass. But I think it would be a lot more interesting than the upper part of Cannell which is mostly mediocre riding IMO. Not sure how ridable Siretta would be as a climb. It isn't as steep or chunky as the front side. Might be similar to Summit Tr climb up to Bear Creek near Camp Nelson. I would do this ride again hopefully with more time and maybe make it bigger to go north of the road and then back to Sherman Peak from the north. That would be a big, epic day....

It is a good thing Brian and I did not continue on our last trip. Even if the weather had been favorable we were up top close to 330-4pm, and would have definitely ended in the dark.

Mikie, mike, Maddog and 1 other person like this.
  3. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    For Day 3 we had a few options but everything down lower was out due to heat. Dom had been talking about bringing the wife up to Sequoia and doing more camping so I figured it would be good to head up to Camp Nelson and we could stop off at Trail of 100 Giants as well.

Lots of people up there hiking around

DSC05158_zpsreucuxgs.jpg

DSC05159_zpsp5omasal.jpg

We did some scrambling to check out the big fallen twin tree

DSC05162_zpsmxm8mfze.jpg

DSC05165_zps3krtkqah.jpg

pretty impressive

DSC05167_zps71crhlnn.jpg

DSC05171_zpspcka6yqu.jpg

After that we headed up and took a drive through Quaking Aspen. I was disappointed to see they have built Yurts in a bunch of camp sites. That campground was already getting hard to book sites in due to popularity so this will make it even harder to get in there.

We headed over to Camp Nelson trailhead next and I shuttled Dom and Gil for a lap, then Dom shuttled GIl and I. I took no pics so you'll have to use your imagination! Too fun riding....

herzalot, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.