Just Outstanding w/ jfsh & Company

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    So I'm on my way home from Bakersfield and I get this text late yesterday from none other than Tom the Bomb stating that there is a small group doing a ride in Kernville. I had no idea who was going and being kinda the guy on the outside, I felt awkward inviting anyone to a party I wasn't throwing. I was driving home from Bakersfield where I did get two new tires for the Mini, but struck out on tires for "The Mistress" (that's the name of my Yeti).

The good news is that there was a brown box sitting on my front porch when I pulled up. That could only mean my Price Point Order came early!
    The bad news is that I accidentally ordered the wrong Fork Oil, the good news is that new ICE TECH Rotors and Pads came in. I fixed my broken SpeedPlay Pedal, swapped out my brakes, lubed the chain, and got every thing else together for tomorrow to leave at 7:45 for Kernville.

Tom the Bomb text me the time and location and it turns out we were riding with jfsh. jfsh! THE jfsh???? Holy trail blazer batman! THE JFSH!
    Legend has it that this guy is responsible for stuff I can't say here. So the next morning, I'm driving down the freeway and all I could say under my breath was . . . . . jfsh. . . . . . jfsh. Holy phashizzle! I'm riding with jfsh?

Met Mike and Tom the Bomb at the Shell Gas Station in Kernville at 9:30. From there we were going to drive to jfish's house. He has a house? I figured he lived in some secluded cabin somewhere deep in the woods. I pictured that he was some tall lean dude with a big beard, didn't have a helmet cuz he didn't need a helmet. I figured he would be zen-like, articulate in speech, and spoke in riddles. I had never met jfish, but I had read about him on STR, saw some of his video's, he actually replied to one of my ride reports about Whiskey Flats (still hate that ride :lol: ), and now I was going to come face to face with . . . . . jfsh.

Pulled up in front of a normal house where there sat a pick-up truck in the driveway and several guys talking. And there, amongst them was he . . . jfsh.

Turns out he's a normal dude, extremely cool, extremely humble. He actually has the name Jeff like other people named . . . well, Jeff.
    Huh! So we loaded up our stuff and drove to the trails end to leave our vehicles. Jumped in the shuttle trucks and headed to the trailhead of Just Outstanding.

In the parking lot, I started to really look at the other bikes. MAN they all had big forks! I looked at mine and thought geeze! My forks look like toothpicks compared to the other bikes. Then I saw that a couple of guys were breaking out full face helmets, I started hearing talk about drop offs, and rollers, and tricks, and features . . . and I thought, this isn't Cross Country Bike lingo . . . what is it? Then a light bulb went on and I looked over at Tom the Bomb and said, "What are you getting me in to?" He just smiled and said, "Don't worry, these are good guys."

There was actually snow-turned-to-ice in the parking lot at the top, also, a bunch of other riders. We let them take off first as we finished getting ready.

When we rolled out the first thing I noticed was jfish had his seat all the way down. I thought oh boy, that should be a clue. So I did something I have NEVER done in 24 years of riding. I stopped and lowered my seat as low as it would go.

"So I did something I have NEVER done in 24 years of riding. I stopped and lowered my seat as low as it would go."

Holy smokes! I felt like a rebel, like I should go get a tattoo and pick up a pack of cigarettes! I'm a Cross Country guy, they would NEVER drop their saddle (I hope I don't run into anyone I know, what if someone see's me!)

So there I am, right behind jfsh, knees pointing outward as I sit peddling to the trail head of Just Outstanding.

When we hit the trail, I went last. I wasn't sure what to expect with a bunch of DH'ers. Everyone is wearing Armour accept me and a guy named Derrick. Derrick was borrowing a bike from jfsh for the day.

And so for the next several miles . . . I followed. But what was going through my mind was how fast I was going and how easy it was to do it. Tom the Bomb can usually just drop me if he really wants to. Not today beyatches . . . not today.
    kern_JO_1.jpg

kern_JO_2.jpg

kern_JO_3.jpg

kern_JO_4.jpg

kern_JO_5.jpg

kern_JO_6.jpg

kern_JO_7.jpg

kern_JO_8.jpg

kern_JO_9.jpg

kern_JO_10.jpg

UPSed, trmn8er and PATKOUG like this.
  2. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Re: Just Outstanding w/ jfish & Company

kern_JO_11.jpg

kern_JO_12.jpg

kern_JO_13.jpg

kern_JO_14.jpg

kern_JO_15.jpg

kern_JO_17.jpg

kern_JO_18.jpg

kern_JO_19.jpg

kern_JO_20.jpg

trmn8er and PATKOUG like this.
  3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:

...yet more pics

kern_JO_30.jpg

kern_JO_29.jpg

kern_JO_28.jpg

kern_JO_27.jpg

kern_JO_26.jpg

kern_JO_25.jpg

kern_JO_24.jpg

kern_JO_23.jpg

kern_JO_22.jpg

kern_JO_21.jpg

PATKOUG and Varaxis like this.
  4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:

kern_JO_31.jpg

kern_JO_32.jpg

kern_JO_33.jpg

kern_JO_34.jpg

kern_JO_35.jpg

kern_JO_36.jpg

kern_JO_37.jpg

kern_JO_38.jpg

kern_JO_39.jpg

kern_JO_40.jpg

This has been a great season this year. I have had the opportunity to ride with some great folks. Today it was with Jeff aka jfsh, Chris, Derrick, Mike, Shidan, and none other than Tom the Bomb. I'm sincerely grateful for the last minute invite and that I was able to pull off making it. Said my goodbye's and hit the road for the hour and 40 minute ride back to Lebec from Kernville.

Of course not without inviting them all out to do AT in Acton first!!!

Voodoo Tom, trmn8er, PATKOUG and 2 others like this.
  5. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan

Sounds like a great trip.

The pic links are all broken for me. I'm viewing on Tapatalk. ???

PATKOUG and Mikie like this.
  6. Hattrick

Hattrick Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD 140

Thanks for the nice RR. I have only ridden JO once and the name says it all.

7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:

:| Hmmmm. I'm not sure WHAT to do about that. Anyone else using Tapatalk having problems seeing the pics?

PATKOUG likes this.
  8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

Yes but the only pictures I can't see are yours. It seems most others are okay.

Mikie and PATKOUG like this.
  9. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy

REAL sorry I miss that one, REAL SORRY!

10. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9

Yes, awesome day, awesome ride and awesome riding buddies. I FINALLY GOT OUT TO KERNVILLE YAAAYAA!
    Been invited for I don't know how long but usually it is in the waterski season and I could not make it. With the help of mother nature this year and Mike the Krankin Kiwi, I made it! Jeff you have really outdone yourself. Really cool how everything flows in and transitions out. That's how it is supposed to be! Cannot believe it took us 4 hrs to do 15 miles. A ride that has everything . There are not to many trails around like that one.
    Doing trail work myself I can appreciate the time he and his buddies have put in out there. Kudos Jeff. Mikie you rocked man and yes the bike looks much better with the seat down! Ks lev dropper post is the one :). Dynamite review as always.
    I am looking forward to hitting this trail up again. Had a great time hooking up with Krankin Kiwi again, have missed riding with you Mike.
    Trails forever into the new year with the rubber to the ground. 2014 has a great beginning to it.
    TTB

11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:

Haah! I'm assuming this means where are the pics of me doing these tricks. Not me brothah! I just learned how to lower my seat :lol: . Maybe next time... Last time I tried to fly I fractured a couple of ribs and ruptured a lung. ...and I'm not talking about the recent 2012 collarbone incident on McGill!!!

PATKOUG likes this.
  12. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Was that the real Wagy Flat you guys were on? So, in the last couple weeks you've ridden on snow and lowered your seat; Mikie's comin' 'round to Maddog's way of thinkin'! :lol:

13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    :lol: Ha . . . hah!
    This was called Waggy Ridge. And it was a mix of what you showed us but with some variations that kept us away from all those blasted 110 degree hike-a-bikes we did the last time. I'll prolly NEVER remember how we did it, so we will need to get jfsh to take us on tour....bummer :D !

PATKOUG likes this.
  14. jfsh

jfsh Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Enduro
    I have to say Mikie, that was a bit over the top. I had no idea that the mere mention of JFSH could cause such reactions. Perhaps you should get out more. :Roflmao

It was a great day out on the mountain. It is always cool to take someone new on our stuff up here. I'm glad that Tom finally got to check out Kernville. It has been a long time coming.

Thanks for the pics Mikie. The fork deflection on the steep roller is wild looking.

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Hey buddy!
    Just like to have fun with stuff. It was great to finally meet you. Your reputation did proceed you and you got to remember, drama is king! Ride the wave today cuz they will forget you tomorrow! ha ha! :laugh:

Thanks for a great day!!
    ~Mikie

PATKOUG likes this.
  16. BIKEMONSTER

BIKEMONSTER Member

Name:
    BIKEMONSTER
    Current Bike:
    Vintage Stumpjumper
    Awsome report as usual Mikie :!: :) Looks like you were documenting a trials event with all of those sections.

Looks like you got a good taste of the Southern Sierra with your tour of the Greenhorns. All the good stuff up there is a notch or two above everything down here with a lot "double-black-diamond". Anyone signing up better step up your game because all the Kern Valley locals are experts.

Jfsh - welcome to the site and hope to be hearing from you soon. Also thanks so much for all your hard work on Tobias over the years and your support for the Stewards Of Sequoia(SOS) :!: Add another great shuttle run off of the Greenhorns. What's the drop from Frog Meadows to McNally's BTW?

17. T-2

T-2 Member

Name:
    Tom Shaffer
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Stumpy EVO
    I'm with you, I've never been up there either, but after seeing the photos and the writeup it looks like a must do. Thanks for the great R & R Mike, you make it feel like I was there.

18. jfsh

jfsh Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Enduro
    My best guess is about 8 miles and about 4000' vertical from Frog meadow the McNally's. It is a good one. If this weather keeps going like it has we may try to ride it in a week or 2.

Tom, thanks for the kind words about the trails. That means a lot coming from someone who has the trail knowledge and experience you have. We have put in many hours but having a group come up and enjoy it make all the work worth while. I have plenty more goods to show you.

19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Jeff,
    I don't wanna be just a taker. If you plan a big trail maintenance day. I will drive up from Lebec and do a day with you guys. I'm not afraid of hard work and enjoy that stuff. Lemme know brothah...

PATKOUG likes this.
  20. SeqMtnAdv.com

SeqMtnAdv.com Newbie

Name:
    Shidan
    Thanks for a great ride report with all the photos. That was a fun ride and it was nice to meet you Mike! -Shidan

21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Hey Shidan!
    Yeah, good to know guys like you. I wanna set up an imtbtrails adventure ride using your shuttle, up your way at Camp Nelson. Get ready for our wrecking crew this spring/summer!

Talk soon bud!

Mikie

PATKOUG likes this.
  22. El Immigrante

El Immigrante Member

Name:
    Montalvo
    Current Bike:
    Ibis
    Jeff, how are the river water levels right now? We're thinking of heading up tomorrow.

PATKOUG likes this.
  23. jfsh

jfsh Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Enduro
    Looks like I am seeing this a little late. What do you want to know exactly?

PATKOUG likes this.
  24. El Immigrante

El Immigrante Member

Name:
    Montalvo
    Current Bike:
    Ibis
    No worries. My wife and I ended up going up for the weekend (without the RV) and stayed the night in Bakersfield. It was sad to see the water levels so low everywhere.

PATKOUG likes this.
  25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Bump!
    Hah! The day I decided it was time for a dropper. Great ride!

UPSed, Danimal, PATKOUG and 2 others like this.
  26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ha hah! Picture Slot Machine! Note the year. Mikie has no dropper, @Tom the Bomb is forever awesome as usual, and this makes me more than ever want to get back up to Kernville and hit Just Outstanding and the extra curriculum it has available!
    kern_jo_38-jpg.jpg