Joshua Tree-Desert View Conservation Area

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by SoCal_Rider, Nov 18, 2018.

1. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I was looking for something different and a buddy told me about the Desert View Conservation Area in Joshua Tree. I looked it up on Trailforks and watched some videos. Looked interesting and definitely different. Decided to hit it yesterday and see if it was any good.

Made the 1.5 hr drive from Temecula to Joshua Tree and drove down a sandy road for a bit to the trails. Very cool rocks all around the little valley. The place borders Joshua Tree NP.

We started off on a green trail but aborted after < 100 ft due to really deep sand. Ended up riding the main road to Sidewinder, a black rated trail. This was a technical, rocky, gradual climb with some pops and tight squeezes between rocks. We then connected to Django, which was similar to Sidewinder, maybe a little easier. After this we hit all the trails on Trailforks. All kind of similar. Some a bit more technical than others. Most trails had sections of deep sand.

After a couple of hrs my buddy had run out of water, so we headed back to the truck. We had less than 10 mi, which is unacceptable :). Decided to ride the more fun trails again to get a few more miles. Ended up running into a local who offered to show us a trail not on the map. You can't pass up an offer like that, so off we went.

The off Trailforks trail was named Latte. It was a little longer and had a bit more elevation than the other trails we had ridden. We ended up riding with the local guide for a couple of hours. So much more fun not having to pull the phone out every 5 mins to navigate. We rode all the same stuff we'd ridden earlier, but in reverse, so it seemed like new trails. Ended up with almost 17 mi for the day. Perfect.

The trails reminded me of a flatter, slower paced Palm Canyon. Maybe even kind of like some trails in Moab. You really had to work for the miles, between the rock pops and sand. The local said the sand was exceptionally bad. The worst he'd ever seen. Without the sand, the trails would be way more fun.

If you're looking for something different, look the place up on Trailforks and give it a try. I plan to head back again this winter after some rain has packed the sand back down.

On the way home we stopped at Steak n Shake to eat. OMG did it taste good after not having real food since 7 am. Mmm.

IMG_7712.JPG

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_7711.JPG

IMG_7714.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG

IMG_7716.PNG

IMG_7717.PNG

IMG_7715.JPG

Oaken, rossage, no worries and 21 others like this.
  2. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    The terrain looks cool but I only see 12 ft. of what could be single track? Got any more pics?

Mikie and mike like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    @SoCal_Rider, the area you rode is called "Section 6". I've been riding there for several years and it's been fun to ride the new trails as they are added. I was just up there (Yucca Valley area) a few days ago and meant I to do Sidewinder and Haggis because I had not ridden them yet but the wind was howling 20-30 and freezing cold when I had the time to go so I skipped it. Deep sand is just a reality in the High Desert.

Mikie, Sidewalk, doublewide and 3 others like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Looks like a nice diversion, Ryan. I’ve wondered about the area. TFPU :thumbsup:

5. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Most on here ride the "Section 8" if you get my drift.:alien:

Mikie, herzalot and Voodoo Tom like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Hey - I resemble that! :confused:

Mikie and Sidewalk like this.
  7. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Nope. I guess you'll have to find out for yourself. Haha. Check Trailforks. There's pics and videos.

Mikie, scan, mike and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Nice @SoCal_Rider !
    Hey Ryan, I really enjoy desert riding. That looks to be a great place. Thanks for sharing that!

SoCal_Rider likes this.