Joplin Conditions?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by jimmymats, Mar 9, 2017.

1. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Name:
    James Matsubayashi
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Has anyone ridden Joplin lately? Was thinking about a Harding Joplin ride, but haven't done Joplin in a long time. Thanks.

2. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I just rode there a couple of weeks ago. This is my first attempt at linking to another post, so hopefully it works: #6303

The short version of that post is that I've only ridden it once before, about a year ago. It seemed much chunkier at the top than I remembered. It was also a lot more overgrown. I felt like there were a number of sections I might have cleaned if it were either the chunk or the overgrowth, but not both. I just couldn't maneuver through the loose rocks without catching my bars on branches. My fatigue at that point in the ride didn't help either. :whistling: I didn't remember so many sections in the first half where there was really no dirt on the trail, just medium-large exposed loose rocks, like the trail was one large rut filled with rocks. Don't get me wrong, it was still worth it and fun! There's also one downed tree to climb over/under about half-way down.

The second half of Joplin seemed as good or better than a year ago, and it's cool with the water flowing.

Go for it!

Interested in what other people think who have more experience with Joplin.

3. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    MattB nailed it...

X-tra chunky through the rocky sections from heavy rains, but overall water damage not bad. All the cruxes are fine, but cleaning the entire garden section is a fair bit more difficult than in previous months.

Holy Jim to Upper Joplin is the shortest approach to Joplin, FWIW, with much more singletrack.

Have fun, jimmy, I was thinking about railing it tomorrow. :sneaky:

4. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Name:
    James Matsubayashi
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Thank you both for your responses @MattB and @mike . I'll give it a shot. Will consider the other approach too, though part of the rationale for this ride was getting in the fireroad training for Counting Coup, but at least getting a fun downhill in:)

5. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Name:
    James Matsubayashi
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Thanks again @MattB and @mike . I didn't make it out that week, but rode it this past Saturday. You guys were spot on. A few sections at the top was were much rockier/chunkier than in the past, but the rest of it was in pretty good shape. Made for a killer ride to climb Harding, then do Joplin, the descent from Old Camp to The Luge, then The Luge. The Luge was in fantastic shape.

6. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Glad you had fun!

jimmymats likes this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Sounds great, jimmy! I didn't make it that day either, but when I got to it a couple days later...ho man, it's so ridiculous riding through that upper chunk, it straight up makes me laugh that my bike keeps rolling. Luge finish, nice.

I gotta get back up there. Joplin got the least water damage of any of the steeper trails I've ridden since the deluge.

8. R Trujillo

R Trujillo Member

Name:
    Richard Trujllo
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Hi All,
    Has anyone ridden this lately. I've never done it and I have some friends that rode it a couple years ago and are thinking of trying it again. Anybody have feedback they can provide? Maybe loop to suggest?

Thanks!

Old&InTheWay, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I don’t know the current conditions....but I heard rumors that someone has been working on it.

As for loops.....

Harding to Joplin is the easiest:
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=17

Holy Jim to Joplin sucks from top of LHJ to the Peak:
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=522

mike, bvader, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  10. R Trujillo

R Trujillo Member

Name:
    Richard Trujllo
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    The routes are the same distance....but going up Holy Jim is more elevation, plus the climbing is harder. Plus parts of Mai n Divide above Upper Holy Jim are trashed. We went that way a few months back and it was HAB.

12. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Gotta Pay to Play on Joplin...

Go with a group and take time up Harding, it's a good fun solid day in the saddle.

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Harding is fun with a capital F!! :thumbsup:

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Plus if you park at Cook's Corner you can do a nice loop over Modjeska Grade, up Harding, down Joplin, down Santiago TT, and then down the Luge for extra credit. Plus beers at Cook's to finish it off!

25.0 miles, 4950 feet... just shy of that 200 feet per mile we always dream of :)

15. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    As in "Fun University!" or "FU!" for short :)

16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I'll leave that as an exercise for the student...:whistling:

Old&InTheWay, R Trujillo and mike like this.
  17. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Easiest is car shuttle park one at cooks corner and park other/start at maple springs!

18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Drop a battery with the bartender at Cook's. Then an all legal e-biking ride to and up Maple and MD. Pull the battery and drop Joplin. But a couple tough climbs on the 50lb e-hog out of old camp and STT. :):alien:

PS- I was told last week that Joplin had been brushed recently, but no first hand knowledge. Also no info on the trail condition... a while back motos going up it had it torn up pretty good in the loose dry gravely spots,, which makes it a marbley slide fest going down them.

19. R Trujillo

R Trujillo Member

Name:
    Richard Trujllo
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!

mike likes this.
  20. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    You got the sound of thanks but no thanks going, Trujillo... I think you should reconsider :)

Take it slow and enjoy many nice views on the way up. Some great places to stop for a break. Bring some tasty snacks and beverages. And whatever makes you happy. Like @bvader said, you gotta pay to play – but the price is not prohibitive.

Harding is a long-ass climb, and I'd implore you to consider the Holy Jim option which @mtnbikej (who nearly exclusively rides a singlespeed) despises for good reason in his case. 4.5 miles of ST up Holy Jim is a fun treat, if aerobic. From there it's a mere couple miles of scrappy FR climbing to the ST Upper Joplin which drops into Main Divide just south of Joplin proper. From the bottom of Joplin (Old Camp, another awesome break spot), one stiff but short climb gets you onto Santiago Truck Trail where you, essentially, descend to your car. So one short climb after you peel onto Upper Joplin, not bad. Plus you get some tricky extra credit descending Cadillac, a rutted, steep 4x4 road.

I'll be knocking that one off soon, so keep eyes out for it. It's a rite of passage, man (just ask yer budz). Your Killer B is ready to dominate. 'Tis the season! :sneaky::thumbsup:

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Lower Holy isn't that bad, and it goes by relatively quick. Main Divide from LHJ to UHJ is rough, but rideable. From UHJ to the Peak is brutal.

I did 2 route comparisons:

1. Harding to top of Joplin / 11.6 miles-3869' ascent
    2. Holy Jim(Live Oak/Trabuco Wash/LHJ/MD/Peak) to top of Joplin / 14.3 miles / 4705' ascent

For me personally, my HR is maxed on the Holy Jim route...most of the ride. Harding to Joplin I can keep my HR in check.

22. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Hey, @R Trujillo? FWIW REMINDER...This guy is one of our singlespeed mutants. :cautious::thumbsup: Plus, he added drive-able mileage to his propaganda!!!!!!!!! I give it ~9 miles from Holy Jim parking to top of Joplin :D:) Yep, you gotta climb up the road some back to your car afterward, but if yer looking for freshness @ Joplin, HJ from the HJ lot is the naz. :cool:

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:

Tree farm is the only starting point in the Santa Anas, isn't it? :p

24. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    So as long as I'm out of gas, it is ok for me to take my Jeep down Joplin? :) I know you are kidding, but some people who visit this site might not understand that...

25. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I may be unique in this, but it has taken me 6 years to peel back the Santa Anas... and I still haven't ridden all the trails. Some trails I have ridden in excess of 50 times. Some just once. There are all sorts of hidden places back there. Most of the canyons don't have trails into or out of them at higher elevations. Ladd Canyon, Coldwater Canyon, Mayhew Canyon... miles of wilderness without a trail or a soul in them. I'll bet some of these places haven't seen a human in years...

26. Cornholio

Cornholio Well-Known Member

Name:

27. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
  28. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Old&InTheWay, herzalot and pperrelle like this.
  29. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Haha, I missed pretty much every tricky spot on that run...why I called it "sloplin." I've botched that zigzag a few times but never tried to shortcut like in the vid. Before the second rider I a stepped on top of that big rock. I didn't even show the first zigzag which comes right after that, so must have bumbled it hard.

I can't wait to get the Smash on that thing...rock gardens, you've been warned :devilish: Get psyched for some Joplin action, guyz :):thumbsup::sneaky:

30. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Thinking I got a Joplin run in me the week between Xmas and NY... Especially with the rebuilt fork...yummy. my route will be the Harding Joplin STT Luge loop I suspect, just need to pick a day.