Jersey pockets

Discussion in 'Jerseys' started by Torrent77, Nov 2, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    So I spent some money at Jenson and bought a fox livewire race jersey. This would be my first foray into cycling specific gear as I still ride with cargo shorts and whatever t-shirt still smells okay.

I like how the tight fit accentuates my bulging beer gut and draws attention away from my flabby arms. Also, there were these three pockets in the back that I thought were for my children. Upon googling, I found that they are for this. Really! This is how you guys ride?

MG_5645.jpg

2. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I don't know anyone who stuffs spare bibs in their jersey pockets but, other than that it looks about right. I personally love the pockets on jerseys idea but don't like the hot dog casing fit of those jerseys.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I have had rides where, yes....I have stuffed my pockets.

For me it is still better than dragging that damn pack around.

You find out quickly what you really need and what you really don't.

Bonus for riding the SS is there is less to break. Chances are if I can't fix it with a multi tool....it is not getting fixed on the trail anyway.

A small seat bag helps out with tube/chain links/patch kit/tire lever.

Jersey pockets get multi tool/mini pump/phone/extra baggies of Tailwind/3rd Bottle. Sometimes I'll add in my wind breaker that folds up into the size of a Twinkie.

kioti, Faust29, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @Torrent77
    Great subject. Hilarious commentary.
    I'm going to move this to The Gear Forums (Jerseys) since it's a good fit there.
    :thumbsup:

5. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've been guilty of this on occasion. :whistling:

UPSed, Danmtchl, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I hate attaching anything unnecessary to my bike. A couple of my bigger regular rides have water along the way so I can get by with a water bottle or two in my jersey pockets along with nutrition and a tool kit. I only wear my CamelBak if I'm on a big ride or water accessibility is unknown. I have noticed though that with my XXL jerseys I can carry just about everything I need.

kioti, Faust29, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  8. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I've dropped the pack for most rides and have gone to a bottle for water, awesome strap for tube, tire iron and co2 and jersey pockets for a multi tool, nutrition and whatever else I need to drag along. As MtnbikeJ said above, it prevents you from lugging the kitchen sink along on a ride. I like my Imtbtrails Club jersey from Voler. Not a super tight fit and has pockets. I've picked up the same jersey from Voler in different prints when they send out their sale e-mails so I have a few now.

kioti, Faust29, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I too am trying to wear my pack less and less. I've been doing 2 hour intense rides during the week in this cooler weather, with a mini tool, a water bottle on my bike, and my cell phone. Not even been carrying a spare tube (I run Maxxis DHF/DHRII tubeless).
    My imtbtrails jersey has nice deep pockets, and as Paul said above, the Club Jersey is perfect for that not too tight feel. Because of weather conditions last weekend, I'm pretty sure I could have got away with not wearing a pack on the Hell Ride and just carried and extra water bottle in my jersey pocket. Oh, and my windbreaker jacket is so stuffable that it is insignificant in my jersey pocket.

kioti, Faust29, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have a small bag under the seat with a tube, lever, multitool, and spare links. I won't ride without a tube... even with tubeless. That seems like it's inviting a long walk home. The pump is on the bike, but I have carried it in the seat pack, as well. I usually carry my phone and nutrition in my jersey pockets... Sometimes a third water bottle.

I also like to carry the pack as little as possible, and I've done some long rides (40-50 miles) without it. When water is scarce, however, it's nice to have 100 ounces with you.

kioti, UPSed, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  11. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Last night I had the following in my Jersey pockets.
    Phone,
    Keys,
    Meds,
    Arm warmers,
    Jacket,
    My "emergency" pouch with: 1 tube, mini tool, CO2 inflator, 2xCO2 cartridges, 2 x 11 spd mater links, 2 x tire levers, zip ties, and 1 vanilla gel.

..... Yes I use my pockets.
    The main reason these items are not under my saddles is due to fact that I have too many (saddles).

kioti, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  12. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I am also one of the many of us trying ride without a pack. I always had a revelate gas can bag on the toptube to store my phone, food and keys. I just invested in a speedslev that goes under the saddle that holds my tube,Co2, levers and spare cartridges. My frame only holds one bottle, so I need to carry another bottle in a Jersey.

Would like to invest in a custom frame bag that can hold a bladder and other things.

kioti, Faust29, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  13. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Faust29, HBkites, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  14. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  15. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I guess a little of a counterpoint, but curious if anyone considers a hydration pack as a sort of spine protector/armor device. There's been a couple times I was glad to have that water bladder taking up some of the force of fall.

Fueledbyex8, MCB2K, mike and 8 others like this.
  16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Yes, a few times has my Camelbak has saved me.

Fueledbyex8, MCB2K, kioti and 2 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Another nice thing about using Tailwind... My "food" fits in a snack size Ziploc. No need for the backpack to carry actual food.

18. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    You guys are lucky. I'm a sweater, no not the warm fleece kind, but the kind that ends up with a bike cleaner than when I started. Due to all the sweat on the top tube constantly cleaning the bike with sweaty goodness.
    Geez, I'm breaking into a sweat thinking about it.

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I don't like riding with a pack, and I don't like riding without one. I'm not a fan of stuff all over my bike and in pockets. I'm not a fan of riding without the tools to help myself or someone else. So I carry too much, and I am cursed with a sweaty back.

I always carry:
    A spare tube (27.5) Can be used to save 29er riders.
    Tire levers
    A tire pump
    A shock pump
    Various tape and bandages
    Zip ties, rubber bands and velcro straps
    Multi tool including chain tool
    Chain links and repair pins
    Knife
    Derailleur cable
    Derailleur hanger
    Spare contact lenses and a small bottle of saline
    Foldable reading glasses (in case I need to make repairs)
    Ziplock with toilet paper, kleenex and/or paper towels

Then add:
    Water
    Elbow pads (sometimes on, sometimes in pack)
    Clif Bar, Clif Blocks and Hammer Gel Flask
    Light jacket or long sleeve shirt (if it's that cold, I start with that on, and add it to pack as I warm up)
    Phone and Keys

At a bike park or at a Fontana race, I will ride with no pack, no tools and nothing on my bike and it feels SOOOOO good!

Fueledbyex8, tortoise, jaime and 9 others like this.
  20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  21. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Careful with the fanny pack. I tried using one, and when its loaded up, I wished it had shoulder straps to make it more stable.

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, kioti and 3 others like this.
  22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yeah. That's what I'm reading.

Danmtchl likes this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

Skip the pack and the frame bags! Just bring @herzalot along on every ride.

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I would....but what good would he do me at mile 40/7500'......since he'd be done at mile 20/3000'. :eek:

25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Between the jersey pockets and baggy mtb shorts, plus scrotum bag under the saddle, I can carry everything I need without a pack.

I took the bladder out of my pseudo-camelback and use it to carry my work clothes on my commute.

Grassblade23, Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  26. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I can usually get away with no pack on my most common rides. These rides are less than 3 hours, are well known, well traveled, and local. I use 2 water bottles, whatever pockets I have, my feed bag, seat pack, and sometimes, a stuff sack strapped to my handlebars. With the coming of "winter" here in SoCal, I will use my pack (Camelbak Charge LR) more often, to carry the cold/wet essentials: jacket, extra shirt, extra gloves, fleece cap, and flame-operated, glass body, herbal burning device.

tortoise, DangerDirtyD, kioti and 5 others like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That sums it up for me, along with "I don't like loading gear on my bike, and I do." I'm more guilty than most of dragging around contingency stuff, but it's mostly just habit. You guys have me thinking...

littlewave, Danmtchl and kioti like this.
  28. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    My friend's bike came with a Flow Caddy that rides in the lower bottle cage. Tube, tire irons, 3 allen wrenches, CO2. On short rides lately I've gotten by with one standard size bottle of water on the down tube, and my Driver License, Debit Card, Insurance Card and some cash in a ziplock in my shorts pocket. Sunglasses on or stuck in helmet. Pocket-free, neon green jersey for hunter recognition/body recovery.

tortoise, mike, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  29. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I've been using a fanny pack on shorter rides and really like not having a big heavy pack on. Tool, co2, tube, food, phone, keys. Water on the bike.

tortoise, Danmtchl, mike and 3 others like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I am insulted! I can make it 3800' now!!!!