It's a Beautiful Day In the Neigborhood......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Jan 7, 2017.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    With a busy schedule this last week, I wasn't able to ride. The picture slot machine in the upper righthand corner kept bringing up a previous RR for Harding to Holy Jim. So it go the wheels turning.

I threw it out in the Trailhead invites, but I think the fear of the weather kept people away.

Met @Faust29 at 8:00 at the Taco Plaza in RSM. It was cloudy, but it was clear and you could see Santiago Peak from where we were....so things were looking good. It was also much warmer than I had anticipated.

We rolled down Plano Trabuco when Steve says we should try the singletrack that drops down to Trabuco Creek Rd. Sure, why not. Immediately once we dropped in it was wet and muddy. Can't turn around now. He pulled over, I went by and dropped down the chute. Before I knew it, I was in a 2 wheel drift, brakes locked, sliding sideways into a bush. Stopped in time, but it was a 'oh sh*t' moment. At the bottom we jumped onto Live Oak. We figured O'Neill was closed so we just stayed on the pavement. Seemed to go by pretty quick.

Dropped down Live Oak to Cook's....dirt lot was packed. Luge was a popular trail this morning. Quick spin up Santiago Canyon then up Modjeska Grade. Over the top and down into Modjeska Cyn and through a pack of turkeys on the road. Continued on to Harding. Been a while since I had climbed Harding...especially since Maple Springs had reopened. Trail had some puddles and avoidable mud, but was actually in pretty good condition. Dirt was soft like I was afraid it might be. We weren't fast, but we were faster than the other 2 guys that we passed. Temps again stayed really warm. I climbed up without arm warmers or gloves and was quite comfy. We got to 5 mile turn in no time....Steve may say different.

IT WAS SOOOOO GREEN OUT THERE TODAY
    IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG

Up past 5 mile turn, things got easier. Around this point the temps cooled down for the first time. Clouds rolled back in and the wind picked up. Still comfortable, but cooler.

At mile 6 you get the first glimpse of 4 Corners.

Sooooo Close, Yet Soooo Far......
    IMG_2318.JPG

We pushed on to 4 Corners were there was a large group of riders that were hanging out before heading to Joplin. Quick break at 4 Corners and we were once again on our way. This is the 3rd time heading out to Modjeska Peak in the last 2 weeks. The last 2 times didn't go well. Today, it wasn't an issue. Cleaned it all. Maybe it was the fact that it wasn't 30* up there today.

Spectacular Views Today from Modjeska Peak....IMG_2320.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG
    IMG_2322.JPG

Downhill into the Saddle. The breeze was blowing on the way up to Santiago Peak, but again temps were just sooo nice. With the road closed, we had no vehicle traffic to contend with. The road again was in pretty good shape. No snow anywhere, but some water and mud just before the Peak.

At the Peak threw my jacket on thinking it might get cold on the way down to Holy Jim. At this point a guy came flying up from Holy Jim side of the Peak on the steep climb hardly working....then you could hear the "whirl....whirl....whirl....." of the motor.

Geared up, we continued on. The bomb craters on the Main Divide just below the Peak are horrible. Main Divide is pretty beat up....still.

We opted to stay on Main Divide rather than take Upper HJ. Wasn't sure what kinda condition it was. A few minutes down and we reached Lower Holy Jim. Quick stop at Bear Springs....dry. Once on Lower Holy Jim, we were welcomed with hero dirt.

Hero Dirt and So Much Green....IMG_2323.JPG

Lots of hikers out, but everyone was cool. We were the only cyclist on Holy Jim. We just motored along. Just before we got to the first creek crossing by the falls....you could already hear it.

Yup...Water Running in the Creek....
    IMG_2325.JPG

Lots of water in the creek. Was able to ride across most of them. Made it across most of them and kept my feet dry....until the last one at the trail head. It was really deep....oh, well. Shed some extra clothes as it was really warm. Made our way out onto Trabuco Creek Rd. The forestry gate is still closed, so it was easy to pick good lines around the puddles on the road. It also means the road is in great shape.

Different story on the other side of the gate. Lots of cars parked there. Road is really beat up. Seemed to make quick work of it and reached the end of the road. Quick spin up Plano Trabuco and and back to the Taco Plaza.

What a great day to be out on the mountain. Y'all missed out.

Screenshot (109).png Screenshot (110).png

DBMX119, Bryon, Grego and 21 others like this.
  2. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Nice ride! That last deep one yup that's where I dinged my rim charging it!

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Yep... I was debating a route for this weekend- either a clockwise or counterclockwise up and over the peak. I mentioned several times in the thread that I would be slow. The crud just doesn't want to let go, even after a trip to the doctor the other day. But, she said I'm not contagious, so what the heck... :thumbsup:

It was drizzling a little when I got up, so I thought I might get the chance to try out my new rain coat from Showers Pass. No such luck! It was 50s when we rolled out of RSM, and just a few drops that didn't last. Yeah- I shared my super secret single track that descends to the end of the Trabuco Wash. Too bad it was a little wet and muddy... But I did have a front row seat to Jason's slide down the chute into the bush! I think this makes the second time I've seen him lose a little control on the bike. He, however, has lost count of mine... :whistling:

I felt good all the way to Harding, and the first mile was ok. Then the wheels started coming off and I walked a lot. The crud has sapped my legs, lungs, and balance. This continued all the way to Four Corners... periods of walking and pedaling slowly. Thankfully, Jason was ok with it. I did tell him a few times to leave the boat anchor, but he hung in there. :thumbsup:

There were a few groups out on Harding, which was nice to see. One family, especially, was pretty cool. Mom, who was obviously the biker of the family, with Dad and their son on his brand new Giant hardtail. Mom kept circling back to check on the kid, but he looked like he was plugging along with no issues. And no motor! :thumbsup:

At the top of Harding, we ran into the Aliso like crowds I've joked about never seeing in the mountains... o_O

IMG_2482.jpg

On Christmas Eve, I cleared the section from Four Corners to Modjeska with no issues, and set a PR. Today, I was almost on my hands and knees, but I kept moving and pedaled some of the chunk. o_O

We lost the horde when they dropped into Joplin, and continued on to the peak. There was some more walking, but the end of the climbing was in sight... This is how @herzalot must feel. I couldn't wait for the downhill!

Yeah- When I was putting on some extra layers at the peak, I saw the guy on the black FS coming up quickly. I thought... Awesome job. Then I heard the motor. He didn't look like he was coughing up green lung goo. He seemed to have all of his limbs. And he was pedaling quickly. Why the motorcycle? :devilish:

Main Divide was beat up... bomb craters. But Holy Jim was nice... green, just a touch overgrown at the very top of the descent, but in great shape. :thumbsup:

With the road closed into Holy Jim, we encountered lots of hikers on the way out... That was new. But, everyone was cool and we flew down to the gate. Where we met the vehicle horde.

Finished with tacos at Los Primos!

Great day on the bike... and off the bike, crawling. :p

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    @mtnbikej Nice work and glad you survived your early "oh shpit" moment. Thanks for the pics and tale. :thumbsup: @Faust29 Great job pushing down your illness to gut out a great ride/walk! Thanks also for the report and pics. Joplin should be a little less overgrown now, with all those riders givin' it a go!

@mtnbikej Do you mean to tell me I cleaned something you didn't last week? (The climb from 4 corners to Modjeska peak). Couldn't be because I had 30 x 42 available and you were cranking something ridiculous like 28 x14 or something crazy like that, could it? Or that you had already done about 7,000' of climbing by the time you got there... :confused:

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Rumpled and 2 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Yup....yup....and yup.

But on the other hand....I didn't tripod any of Joplin. :thumbsup: :whistling: :laugh:

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It's either all or nothing! I either fly up it or curse every rock I have to walk over. Today was the cursing... And watching Jason pull away in the distance. :Roflmao

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

All I remember is that you hit the ground and you weren't even on your bike. :whistling::rolleyes: :eek:

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It's still a little foggy. I have no memory of that. Are there pictures?

9. Squidler4

Squidler4 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    Good trip write up guys. I plan on doing this ride tomorrow.

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Mikie likes this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    But it felt baaadddd... Still felt bad today. I'm really hoping it's the drugs- which I took the last of tonight.

After that 180 at mile 2 on Harding, I didn't let it go over 175. Walking didn't bring it down quickly, which it usually does. That was a little weird...

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Excellent job on the ride and report, guys. :thumbsup::thumbsup: