It was interesting! Holy Jim to Trabuco for Some.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Well... The ride was supposed to be the standard Holy Jim to Trabuco Loop, which is a classic of the Santa Anas. Mikie was staying in the area, and dropped his bike off last night. I tied him to the couch, made him drink a beer and watch a video of Trabuco Trail. Then I kidnapped him and we had a couple tacos. :thumbsup:

Mikie rolled in a little before 7:00 with screeching tires, and we geared up. I couldn't talk him into bacon, eggs, oatmeal, or coffee! Huh... Ok. To each his own. I ran back in the house for one more shot before we headed out. :p The ride started off normal enough... Mikie and I rolled from RSM, and headed for the Trabuco wash, where we met @mtnbikej , @BonsaiNut , @Cougar , and @MattB. I made it about a mile before the dreaded "HISSSSS" started. I thought it was the valve stem, but it was leaking from the bead and wouldn't seal up... Tube time. Mikie may have a picture of this mechanical, but I was able to return the favor later in the ride. :whistling:

Rolling again... No issues all the way to the cabins and almost to the Holy Jim trailhead. Until the tire exploded. It wasn't the valve stem... And the bead of the tire was more damaged than I thought. It exploded, shredding the bead in the process. My ride was done for the day... 6 miles in. :thumbsdown: When Jason says, "I can't fix that.", it's bad. :poop:

@mtnbikej says, "Ride it out until the tire comes off the rim!" Hmmm... I don't want to damage the wheel, but I also don't want to kill an hour and a half or more walking out. I left the guys at 8:14, rode it all the way out of the wash, up Plano Trabuco, around the RSM lake, and all the way to my garage. The tire never came off. I arrived at 8:59 on a flat tire... :thumbsup: End of Strava ride #1. 12 miles and 1165 feet.

I knew how long it would take the guys to get to Trabuco, so I weighed the options. Swap on the plus wheels, grab the Highball off the wall, or grab the Highball and have my kid drive me back in. I opted to swap bikes, and rolled from the garage at 9:17 with a geared Highball and skinny tires! Racing Ralph 2.25 and rocky Trabuco here we come! :eek:

Up the wash, past the Holy Jim parking lot, and heading for Trabuco! I've hiked up Trabuco before, but I've never done more than the first mile or so past the creek crossing uphill on a bike. There's a reason for that... It's loose, steep in spots, and a pretty tough climb. Much harder than climbing Holy Jim. I walked some, pedaled some, got passed by a couple marathoners, but eventually made it above the scree and was able to pedal to the top. I rang my bell on all the blind corners just in case my math was off! At the very top, just through the gate, I rang my bell and got a reply! I thought that there would be time to get a mile or so of Main Divide, but the guys were already at the top of Trabuco- minus @Cougar ! Apparently Cougar had bailed at the top of Holy Jim and headed down. Bummer. :thumbsdown:

And now I know that it's 11 miles and 3200 feet from my front door to the top of Trabuco... I may do it again, HAB and all...

I was really glad to see the group and be able to ride the DH portion of the day with them. The upper part of Trabuco is still fast and flowy, but it was apparently too much for @Mikie 's wheel as he broke a spoke on the way down. Pilot error, perhaps?

We're not at the rocky part yet...
    IMG_1190.jpg

I'd make more jokes, but I was on my second bike by this point... :whistling:

The rest of Trabuco was spent dodging trail runners who had spent the day running from Blue Jay across Main Divide, up Upper Holy Jim, down Main Divide, down Holy Jim, up Trabuco, and down the wall to Blue Jay. :gag: They were all really polite- even the one I almost slid into... :whistling:

The bottom of Trabuco is in pretty fun shape. Very loose, a little more rocky than usual, and a riot all the way to the creek crossing and out the lower section.

The wash is the wash... 4+ miles of muddy road, dodging Jeeps, and spinning the 34 x 10 at close to 30 mph downhill. I was in a hurry for tacos. :whistling: Apparently J was also in a hurry. He photobombed my taco plaza pic. :D

IMG_1195.jpg

Normally an IMTB member needs to be present for the ride to partake of tacos, but for certain members we'll gladly make an exception. Thanks for coming out @horsebikerider. :thumbsup:

We ate, we talked smack, we reminisced... And I'm glad that I didn't miss the whole thing. That would have been tragic...

End of Ride #2: 22 miles and 3400 feet.

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    And the best part... The wheel is still straight! How is that possible? 6 miles on the rocky wash and it still spins true!

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Good job salvaging the ride! Did you figure out what happened to the tire to cause it to fail like that?

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mike and 3 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I had a leak the other night on STT at the bead, but it eventually sealed and I rode it out... But it was more damaged than I realized. I should have taken it off and checked it out.

bvader, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Must have done a number on it the first time to cause that much damage... bummer it didn't show up till this morning!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mike and 3 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Sounds like a pretty decent adventure, all in all. Love your determination, @Faust29!

Sorry about your spoke, @Mikie. Are you still here tonight or back up in your 'hood? I assume the shop from which you purchased said bike will fix your spoke. I hope you enjoyed your ride, nonetheless.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  7. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    We were just talking about climbing Trabuco weren't we? Sorry, probably jinxed you. :whistling:

Good work guys. HJ to Trabuco is one of the best loops in the Santa Ana's.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Wow, craziness on this ride for you guys! :eek:

Of course,... none of that would have happened if I would have been able to attend. I don't know why but the rides I am present for are mechanically uneventful for all.

Looking forward to more pics and more comments from the attendees. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Sorry I missed you guys.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  10. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Thanks for allowing me to crash the taco fest. It was a pleasure hanging out with ya'll. I promise to join one of the more mellow rides one of these days :)

Sidewalk, Cougar, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Man, just when you think it's safe to spin a loop in the mountains... Outstanding recovery, @Faust29. @Mikie, it happens everywhere up there...I broke a spoke on Main Divide. :mad:

You know, we could avoid all these issues by just staying home, but we secretly like doing things the hard way. F the easy way. Good job, guys (and girls) :thumbsup:

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    This was a different ride than usual.

First off @Mikie was in town to ride one of our local trails.....sweet :thumbsup:

Second off we had a much bigger group than our normal 2-4 riders.

Met up with @MattB and @Cougar at the Taco Plaza, when I got a text from @Faust29 that they were just gonna roll down to the wash. So we headed off. It was on the chilly side....for some. I found it quite pleasant. @BonsaiNut was already there.....Mikie and Steve rolled in a minute or 2 behind us.

We took off, and as usual the pace starts on the quick side. Just past the RC Airport, someone got a flat. They tried to pump it up and shake the sealant around....no dice, gotta tube it. 2 miles into the ride and my hands smelled like Orange Seal. :cautious: At one point everyone whipped out there "pumps" to see who's was biggest. Repaired and we were off. The rest of the ride up to Holy Jim parking lot was uneventful. At the parking lot, so an Aid Station setting up to find out there was a Marathon going on out there....they were doing our route backwards.

Up the road and through the cabins when we heard the gunshot....they the look of :( . Took a quicksee ....yup, toast....no fixing that. At this point our 6 turned into 5. We parted ways.....us heading up, Steve heading down. We rolled through the gate and onto Lower Holy Jim. @MattB was out front, through the first creek crossing and up the rocks....then he wasn't. He fell over on the first techy climb. Back up and moving, we kept a social pace. Seems like this time up LHJ that there are a lot of low hanging trees. I hit my head on a few....from the sounds of it, so did the others.

Quick regroup at the split for the HJ Falls. Then up we go. Matt and I were out front, not pushing the pace, just chatting. @Mikie was dealing with the the after effects of his run in with one of the low hanging trees. We would regroup a few times on the way up. @Cougar expected to be much slower than the group. The regroups kept him close. About a mile from the top we started hitting the front of the marathon runners. We'd stop, encourage them and let them go by. We'd only see a couple of them on LHJ.

IMG_3010.JPG

Got to Main Divide and made the HAB up to the road. Temps were still nice and comfy. The best part was there were no bugs. When we were up here about a month ago, they were horrible....not today. The others worked their way up. @Cougar made it up then pulled the plug. We tried to talk him into continuing on.....but he declined. A man who knows his limits....but I still think he would have been fine continuing on. :thumbsup:

Our 5 was now down to 4. Mikie and Matt had never been this way on Main Divide, so they were experiencing new dirt. Fun DH down to Indian Truck Trail.....then the slog up The Wall. Matt took off, I tried to hang as long as I could. The Wall was in great shape....better shape than I have seen it in a long time. Made it most of the way up, but ran out of gas at the last long straightaway, which was fine since the last 250' or so was in horrible shape. Kinda how I expected the rest of the climb to be.

We continued on.....Greg and I pointing out the sights and points of interest along the way.....you know, tour guide stuff. Matt wasn't sure where the Wall ended so he went quite a ways up. We'd eventually regroup. Fast, fun and chunky DH before the climb to West Horse Thief. At that point Mikie asked when we were gonna climb the Wall. He seemed happy when we told him we already had. The last few climbs up to Trabuco went quick.

The Marathon runners were starting to hit the top of Trabuco. We started to drop in, when we heard a bell. Sure enough Steve had made it up Trabuco Just in time. Now our 4 was back to 5. We let a few runners go by then we were off. The pace going down was a little slower than usual....not knowing where the runners were gonna be. A minutes down Mikie says stop....I have a problem. Turns out he popped a spoke. No problem, we sorted it out and were again on our way.

Trabuco was in much worse shape than usual. Still fun, but much more scree, rocks and chunk. We'd slow for the runners, but by this point most let us go by....not many were actually running anymore. I did almost cause a pile up on the fwy when we reached the mandatory right turn....I always think it is farther down the trail than it is. Clean fun run the rest of the way down....and it was over all too soon.

The ride down Trabuco Creek Road is what it is....you just put your head down and pedal. Rolling faster than the cars/trucks is always fun. Just as we crossed over the forestry boundry Mikie had another "issue". My bike won't pedal. Turns out the chain had jumped off the lower pulley and wasn't clocked right for the narrow/wide teeth....leave it up to the guy with no RD to fix the RD. :rolleyes:o_O We then had the pleasant headwind the rest of the way out.

All that was left was the short ride back up Live Oak/Plano Trabuco then for tacos.

Good times out on the mountain today. Temps were incredible. It didn't get above 70 the whole time along Main Divide.

Grego, Old Skool, Evoracer and 23 others like this.
  13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    "The best part was there were no bugs". :cool:

14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I'll toss in some more details later.
    @Faust29 blew a tire, I about took my head off on an overhead 12" downed tree, broke a spoke, broke the lower idler pulley on the RD. Ate a lot of Taco's.

Drove 4 mph on Interstate 5 on the way home... got home @ 7:45pm.
    The weekend? Total success!

15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I pulled into Taco Plaza at about 6:50 just to say "hi" and give a cheery thumbs up to all ride participants :). Then because I am no one's fool, I drove down to Trabuco Wash because I knew what it would be like to bike up that last hill to Taco Plaza after a 5 hour bike suffer fest. I freely admit I know the limits of my pain tolerance.

7:00 at the wash... nice and quiet. Suddenly a bunch of hooligans come screeching down the road, and we were off up the canyon!

ride1.jpg

For about 11 minutes and 42 seconds... at which point we hear strange and fearful noises coming from Steve's bike. Unable to cope with the rigors of a flat fire-road, Steve has sprung a leak! Fortunately Jason acted like he knew what he was doing, while the rest of us stood around and watched while uttering sounds of dismay. A quick tube inflation and we were off again!

ride2.jpg

This time we got above the upper Holy Jim lot. I was riding behind Steve minding my own business (I swear) when I notice something sticking out of his rear tire. It looked kinda like a wad of electrical tape or something. I manage to say "hey Steve..." before his tire blows up :( This one was not fixable. I managed to capture Steve's expression at this point... I think he needs an attitude adjustment, personally, 'cuz his negative attitude was starting to get me down. Something about "5 1/2 mile walk back to my house, blah, blah, blah..." But I had faith in him! I knew he would rise to the occasion!

ride3.jpg

So the plot-line splits at this point. The rest of us continue up Holy Jim. The trail needs to be brushed and was a lot chunkier than I recall. I manage to catch a pedal on a rock and gracefully slam my shin sideways into another rock. Thinking quickly, I pose like that was what I intended to do. Hopefully no one was looking!

The ride up Holy Jim was uneventful, more or less, though they were running a marathon on it today so towards the top we ran into a number of runners who were hauling ass down the trail. Later on we would pass the very same runners as they were ascending Trabuco. Some of these guys and gals were really moving!

At the top of Holy Jim Craig took a look around, said something that sounded suspiciously like "F@ck this" under his breath, and stated that he was going to turn back to BBQ and drink beer... or something along those lines. So our group was down to four.

But then things started looking up. Main Divide was beautiful. The conditions were perfect - sunny, cool with a light breeze. No bugs - not a single fly. Mikie cruised right up the Wall like it was nothing, leaving me behind in the dust and wondering "who invited THIS sand-bagger along, anyway?" I wouldn't normally call Main Divide "flowy" but today was as close as it gets.

ride4.jpg

Views for miles to the East. We rode at a decent pace but stopped whenever we felt like it, to put a foot down, take photos, and talk about trees. At least... I was talking about trees and my riding partners were acting bored which I don't hold against them at this point because quite frankly I'm not sure I was making a lot of sense. We eventually made it to the Trabuco trail head to cheer on the first marathon runners who were just then appearing at the top of the trail.

ride5.jpg

We were lining up for the descent, when we suddenly hear a plaintive little bike bell down the trail. Is it? Could it be? STEVE! Clearly I had more faith in him than he had in himself because I was totally expecting him to show up, right at that place and at that time, but Jason, Matt and Mikie acted surprised which only demonstrates that they don't know Steve as well as I do!

And that was it. Trabuco was much chunkier than I remember, and there were a couple of particularly sketchy technical sections that surprised me that I don't remember from before. We had to stop several times to provide safe passage for some marathoners, but the rest of the ride was pretty smooth. Oh and Mikie busted a spoke on the descent and then had the bad form to have squeaky brakes. Next time I will bring a bottle of silicon lubricant and give both rotors a good squirt just as he is about to start his descent. And I will make sure to stay behind him.

Great ride with a lot of laughs! Taco Plaza was sweet relief after all the biking, and after eating a "Monster Burrito Americano" I don't think I will be able to move for a week. It was really nice being able to put faces to some of the names here on IMTB, and it was just a really good time!

Evoracer, Postal Pat, scan and 24 others like this.
  16. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Now that @Faust29, @mtnbikej, and @BonsaiNut have done the heavy lifting of the Ride Report (with pictures and everything!), I can just add a little from my first time out on the loop.:D

I've ridden a bunch of the trails in the Santa Ana's, but had somehow never ridden Holy Jim, up or down, so I was looking forward to getting out there. Somehow, I ended up taking the lead as the singletrack started. I knew from pictures and videos to expect rock and chunk, so when I saw the first creek crossing and short, steep rocky climb on the other side of it I thought, "All right, here we go, time to give this a try." Bad move. I made it across and maybe half-way up the rocks on the other side when I lost any forward momentum, any traction, then my balance. My left achilles has been giving me problems the last few days (can't let my heel drop below the ball of my foot without pain), so I didn't want to put that foot down on uneven rocks, but I realized too late that there was nowhere to put my right foot. The next thing I knew, I very ungracefully fell over right into all of the rocks, barely catching myself to avoid a painful landing. :bang: Why did I go out in front?o_O After that, I gladly let @mtnbikej go first and took my cues from him on which technical sections to attempt and which were not worth it.

The rest of the climb up Holy Jim was pretty cool to finally ride. @mtnbikej set a good pace that had me working hard to stay on his wheel, but not too hard to chat and save some legs for later. Most of the climbs I do aren't nearly as technical or chunky, and I could see enjoying trying it again when my achilles has healed and I don't have to be so cautious about putting a foot down quickly if I can't make something. There was more exposure than I expected (for someone who hates heights), but the views were spectacular.

I couldn't believe how green and forested The Main Divide was between Holy Jim and Trabuco. Not what I was expecting at all. When @mtnbikej let me know that we had gotten to the start of The Wall, I put my head down and was determined to just grind up it as far as I could. The farther I got, the more I kept wishing I had @Mikie's giant pie plate on my cassette in the back, but also that I must be getting close to the top and I didn't want to give up and walk after I'd heard how hard it is to clean it (no matter how hard my legs wanted to). Even though I heard from the other guys that it was in unusually good shape today, I was still pretty stoked to clean it. When I was sure I had gotten to the top (apparently a bit farther than the top), I stopped to wait for the rest of the group and decided it would be a good time to put on my knee and elbow pads for heading down Trabuco. It turns out I was a bit off and we weren't anywhere near done with the Main Divide ... oh well.

I had a couple of close calls going down Trabuco (including one almost OTB that would have sent me over the side!:eek:), but managed to make it down in one piece and had a blast.

Once we hit the dirt road out to the wash, all I could think about were TACOS!:) I was starving and pushing with everything my legs had left to get through that endless road. I wasn't sure the others felt the same urgency until towards the end of the wash, @Mikie flew past me like I was standing still and he was just cruising. If I didn't know any better, I would think he had found a way to attach the motor from his other new bike (the rusty tubeless ebike) to his Hightower!

Finished the day off with a Monster Burrito and a fun lunch with everyone!

To top it all off, not only did I finally ride Holy Jim, but today's ride put me over 1,000 miles for the year earlier than I've ever done it before (last year I hit 1,001 miles on the last day of the year), and broke my previous best for elevation in a year!

17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I officially nominate @BonsaiNut to do more ride reports!!!

18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Although @MattB 's ain't too shabby!

19. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    What they said. :D

I knew this ride was going to be a stretch for me, I just haven't been on the bike enough as of late. But I know that when J and Steve bless the ride for a social pace that, while still grueling for me, there'd be no snickering or tapping of feet with impatience (they are awesome like that). Combine that with a Mikie visit... so, I decided to join up.

So while I wasn't expecting to pull the plug at MD originally, by the time I got about a mile from it, I figured that was the safe call for me. I was making some mental mistakes (including a topple at a switchback when I didn't get unclipped in time, whoops), and I just didn't want to add more fatigue to things given Trabuco is a bit unforgiving of a DH.

I took it real easy going back down LHJ. Lots of runners, and lots of generic weekend hiking traffic. Pedaled out, and slowly slogged my way up the windy road back to taco plaza.

Always a pleasure to meet new IMTB'ers, and it was good to ride with the others again :) And then there is that Mikie guy down in our neck of the woods, gotta spend time with him when he makes that drive!

Thanks for waiting for me, and thanks for the ride :)

20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I was pretty close to spitting out my coffee in a few spots! That was great... I'm sorry that I missed the Holy Jim and Main Divide part of the ride.

@Cougar - It was a real bummer to see you missing from the group at the top of Trabuco. You would have liked it today... the bottom 1/2 to the creek crossing was chunkier and looser than last time.

And this little gem that I almost forgot:

While fixing Mikie's broken spoke:

Bonsainut rolls in and exclaims: Something's wrong with my rear shock. It feels like a hard tail.
    Jason: Mine too!

21. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Obviously a great time had by all. :thumbsup::geek:

One day I'll have to climb HJ. I've only descended it so far.

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 5 others like this.
  22. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Nice ride guys I wasn't up for it especially probably at the pace you guys ride but I did look up on my ride and found the section along the main divide and sent some good vibes your way.

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 7 others like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

The pace was social....we were not out breaking any land speed records. You would have been fine.

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 7 others like this.
  24. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Ya, I can't stress this enough for people who are slow climbers like me that shy away from riding with the 'big boys' out of fear of holding people back. When they say it is a social pace, there is NO making anyone feel bad for their pace. J and Faust are awesome in that way, and it's one of the reasons that I've been able to push my fitness (over the years) out of my comfort zone is by doing bigger stuff with those guys.

They are also pretty good about posting up when it's a hammer fest. Stay away from those :)

Mikie, BonsaiNut, herzalot and 12 others like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I think I missed out on a good ride! Great reading all the details, especially from the multiple perspectives. I had a lot going on yesterday, and just couldn't take the time, but turns out I was getting sick as well. In hindsight, I would have probably been pretty miserable out there! Sore throat came on at 1:00 straight up, and by 3:00 I could barely talk. Over that part, but it's settled into my sinuses now...

But enough about me... What's with all the Santa Cruz bikes falling apart out there!?!?!? Two out of three having mechanicals... must be dainty little things!!

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 6 others like this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Actually MattB was on a Tallboy LTc....with no issues as well.

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 4 others like this.
  27. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I originally posted that facetiously, but now thinking about it, the two newer SC bikes had problems (not knowing how old @MattB 's bike is).
    Anecdotal for sure, but wondering if the QC is slipping a little?

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 2 others like this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Steve's issue was a tire, so I don't think we can pin that on SC. :whistling:

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 3 others like this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Nope....we are blaming Continental. :whistling:

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 7 others like this.
  30. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Was it the original tire that came with the bike though? They didn't make the spoke either, but I'm sure they're going with lowest bidder on their supplier for tires and spokes. I just hope they're not cutting corners here and there... they have what I perceive to be the most popular/respected bike company in North American right now, maybe the world. Heck, I have one on back order that keeps getting put back further and further due to demand. Just hope they don't get greedy and start cutting quality in the little areas (spokes, tires, bearing, whatever). Those little cuts will add up!

Mikie, mike, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.