Is something Burning in OC

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by LLPoolJ, Aug 6, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Obviously just my opinion, but..

From the live helicopter footage, it looked like the cabin's deck was on fire, and it looked like the cabin was at the bottom of the overall fire. The cabin was right on the main dirt road. There were vehicles and personnel watching it burn. If the fire was caused by something at that cabin, I don't understand why the whole thing couldn't have been suppressed with a quick response. There's a volunteer fire department in the canyon, and OC and USFS stations within a mile of the dirt road, 7 miles away. There was little to no wind. Tanker trucks and some air drops in the first 30 minutes might've done the trick. That 747 could've presumably come roaring up the canyon and dumped fire retardant on the cabin and emerging fire, rather than waiting until later and trying to hold it at the Main Divide.

herzalot, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Sounds like the Fire did not burn into the the canyon where the Holy Jim Trailtrail is.....I burned up the canyon up toward the Trabuco Trail

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  3. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Hopefully it burned the porta-potties. PEEEE- EEEEWWW

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I feel your pain, but-- Options?

Free-range :poop:-fest! Park your hiney in the poison oak and let'er rip (those leaves are great to wipe with!). Put your :poop: in a bag on the side of the trail for the volunteer trail monitor to pick up!

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    HJ/Trabuco Cabin Owner Assn reporting “many” cabins lost in upper Trabuco tract.

Unfortunate, but one does not have a property in such places without assuming risk. Maybe the sad thing is, USFS will not permit a rebuild. Adios, historic structures.

herzalot, Danmtchl, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Holy fire burned and destabilized almost an entire watershed with very steep slopes. Closure woulf likely be mostly due to landslide and mudslide danger. Even downcanyon far from the burn area. If heavy rains happen in the near future before vegetation reestablishes mudslides could possibly wash out the only road in.

herzalot, Danmtchl, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Exactly. Think of the carnage the Fern Spring fire debris caused. 4-6’ deep debris 50+ yards wide. This is how many times worse?

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  8. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    It may be different up there but volunteer stations aren't necessarily staffed and they respond when they get a page/call/text. So you have the time of them driving to the station, getting geared up and then actually responding. As far as aircraft response, no way. I know it sounds simple but ifs it's anything like police aircraft, there's a "checklist" that they go through every single time before going up and it takes time. It's not like TV where they just run out, jump in a waiting aircraft and go. I imagine for the planes, it's even a bigger deal with a formal request needed, then permission granted before those guys even start the process of heading out.

herzalot, Danmtchl, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    If it's an El Niño next year, which is a possibility... could be bad.

herzalot, Danmtchl, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Uh oh.... Suddenly windy down here in HB hopefully not the case in the canyons.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  11. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm saying at least waive the request/authorization. The reality is that small fires are easier to put out than big fires. I know because I've been first on scene on 3 wild land fires and 1 city open space fire, and got a line around 2 of them with a shovel, one with hiking boots and a branch, and the 4th with my Sidi road shoes.

The OC and USFS stations on Live Oak Canyon Road are 7 miles and downwind from the origin of this fire and presumably ready to go within minutes.

My brother was a hot shot and has seen the slow authorization process first-hand. He's sat with 4 other hot shot crews and watched a fire manageable by a single hand crew turn into one of the biggest and costliest fires ever. If fire fighting operations can't figure out how to cut the red tape and respond immediately, we'll continue to see small fires go ballistic like this.

But as proposed in the article I posted above, it might be better just to let them burn. I guess we have to be willing to lose old growth groves like @sir crashalot mentioned, but maybe that's the new reality. And maybe that's how these fires are already being managed, while we're still hangin' with Smokey.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  12. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I'll say Amen to that!

I might consider doing VQ again..... In the year 2020?

mike, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  13. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Perimeter map up on inciweb.

mike, Danmtchl, kioti and 3 others like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    LOL, all I was saying is that the fire started down low.

But since you have a feeling or two of how it started, I'm gonna bet against you. I think it was a 3 eyed, naked alien from Jupiter that pisses fire.

Sidewalk, OTHRider, mike and 4 others like this.
  15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Here is a picture looking south on the Unal Trail this morning, all the smoke is crazy. 5DC6E95E-3A84-4638-BE34-AE8D94490E3D.jpeg

Maddog, tortoise, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Per USFS:

NOTICE - VOLUNTARY EVACUATION WARNING FOR HIGHWAY 74 CORRIDOR

Highway 74 (Ortega Highway) west from Lookout Restaurant to Nichols Institute and all connecting roads in the communities of Rancho Capistrano, El Cariso Village and Blue Jay are under voluntary Evacuation Warning.

Residents should exit west to Orange County to avoid fire equipment coming up on the Elsinore side.

17. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Crap, does that mean the fire is heading that way?

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
  19. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    And, maybe in relation to @kioti 's comments. OCFA made a helo drop on a truck fire on the N 241 near Santiago Canyon.

Cyclotourist, mike, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That's San Juan Trail and up...:thumbsdown:

32F30800-0615-4DF1-9B1C-5E04573FA3A2.png

21. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    News just reported from someone who went up there that 12 of the 15 cabins were lost. So sad.

I'm really bummed as HJ and Trabuco are my favorite canyons. Fingers crossed it does not go south to San Juan.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, mike and 5 others like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    As I was driving home 30 minutes ago, it looked like there were 4 separate fires, miles apart, burning much farther south of the Holy Fire. I hope I was just seeing weird clouds.

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Mikie, Cyclotourist, kioti and 3 others like this.
  24. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
  25. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    KTLA had a good shot from their copter of the burn area. It basically started at the Y of Holy Jim and Trabuco and headed up the Trabuco side ridge to ridge, and then jumped the main divide.

The bummer was as they panned out, the ridge opposite HJ (Los Pinos?) had a ton of Phoscheck and had no smoke. The top of the ridgte on the HJ side by MD had several areas where the fire had restarted and were burning down the canyon. Not a big area, but it didn't look like anyone was around there. Hopefully the wind does not shift or that area does not grow too quickly.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yeah you can see here the top of the Wall at Indian Truck Trail and it has clearly jumped Main Divide.

Screenshot (98).png

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Per USFS:

Current as of 8/7/2018, 7:26:53 PM

Incident Type Wildfire - Cause Under Investigation

Date of Origin - Monday August 06th, 2018 approx. 01:30 PM

Location - Holy Jim/Trabuco

Canyon Incident Commander - Cleveland National Forest

Incident Description Wildfire- Coordinates 33.691 latitude, -117.521 longitude

Total Personnel - 383

Size -3,399 Acres

5% containment

Estimated Containment Date - Wednesday August 15th, 2018 approx. 12:00 AM

Fuels Involved - Chaparral, short grass, brush

Significant Events - Active uphill runs, short-range spotting, backing

Projected Incident Activity - Fire will continue to spread southeast and north with only limited spread to the west. The lack of resources for direct attack will allow the fire to spread into new areas, and align for strong head-fire runs and the potential for an "Elsinore" down slope event.

Over the next 24 hours, there is a slight possibility of monsoonal flow over the area that could bring some increase in relative humidity and a cooling of a few degrees.

VOLUNTARY EVACUATION WARNING FOR HIGHWAY 74 CORRIDOR:

Highway 74 (Ortega Highway) west from Lookout Restaurant to Nichols Institute and all connecting roads in the communities of Rancho Capistrano, El Cariso Village and Blue Jay are under voluntary Evacuation Warning.

Residents should exit west to Orange County to avoid fire equipment coming up on the Elsinore side.

ADDITIONAL VOLUNTARY EVACUATIONS ARE IN EFFECT:

VOLUNTARY EVACUATION WARNING FOR HORSETHIEF AND GLEN EDEN COMMUNITIES

These communities are under voluntary evacuation. A care and reception center is available at Temescal Canyon High School, 18760 El Toro Road in Lake Elsinore for residents.

Weather Concerns - Excessive heat warning for the fire area has been issued. Weather conditions with temperatures exceeding 100 degrees and relative humidity below 15% will provide conditions for extreme fire behavior as well as heat illness issues for the fire fighters.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6106/

28. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    The cabins that have been burned down will probably not be allowed to be rebuilt.:(:(

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  29. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I would imagine that canyon including Trabuco, WHT, likely Yeager will be under closure order for a year then they'll reassess based on how things go with any storms over the winter. As mentioned lots of risk of slides due to steep terrain. Not sure about Bell or Pinos. There isn't anything above them except where each trail runs fall line so maybe one or both might stay open. Agreed its nice to see the PO burn. I never realized how much was on top of Bell til last spring when I rode it later than usual. I'm not too worried about the trails. They can be cleaned up as needed, and the brush will come back pretty soon. But those trees up top are huge loss if they burned. We don't have much forest left to ride in down here...

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  30. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I hope the firefighters don't inhale a lot of poison ivy smoke, and I'm not sure how they avoid it. A friend accidentally inhaled some while burning brush on his ranch and ended up in the hospital with a severely swollen throat and lungs.

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.