Is something Burning in OC

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by LLPoolJ, Aug 6, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    8/14/2018 Highway 74 Reopened and some Evacuation Orders Lifted
    Holy Fire Wildfire
    Announcements – 8 hrs. ago
    Effective Tuesday, August 14, 2018, Highway 74, the Ortega Highway will be open to through traffic.

Evacuations for El Cariso Village and Rancho Capistrano have been lifted with the exception of the Mystic Oaks community near Long Canyon Road. Returning residents, please note that power is off in the Highway 74 corridor. Edison continues working diligently to restore power in the area.

Blue Jay and Falcon campgrounds are closed as well as Los Pinos. All Forest Service Trails leading into the burn area are closed

The community of Trilogy in Temescal Valley remains under voluntary evacuation.

Firefighters continue to work with heavy equipment in the area. The area still has active flare- ups and smoke. Please drive cautiously to keep our firefighters safe.

Call the Fire Information Line (714) 628-7085 for questions.

Mikie, mike, doublewide and 6 others like this.
  2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    What was with the ranger at the end of the video telling him he had to turn off his camera?

Mikie, mike, doublewide and 4 others like this.
  3. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Very sad. Thanks for sharing.

Mikie, mike, doublewide and 2 others like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'd say he thought the guys were looters at first. Perhaps he'd caught some looters earlier and was all fired up about it. Maybe he was grumpy from working multiple back to back shifts. Possibly a property owner or close with some who lost everything. He was clearly grumpy.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  5. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    To me he was doing his job by controlling the situation. Not grumpy.

herzalot, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Good assessment. He's a Forest Service law enforcement officer and doing exactly that.^

Mikie, mike, SingleTrackJB and 7 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Agreed... He's in a situation that does not call for warm and fuzzy.

8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    That's all good... but I would have told him - "I'm sorry but I am not going to turn off my camera because I have a lawful right to film law enforcement officers conducting their business on public property."

I was in the military police in the Army - and few things get me as worked up as police officers pushing civilians around because they can't keep their egos/emotions/anger in check. Choose another career if you can't be professional. Too many police officers running around with God complexes.

9. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Roger that. Not sure it matters, but there's like three of these LE guys covering the entire forest. That means they have to operate in a way that insures survival, with no back-up available, and they never know who they're dealing with. I've met him a number of times and never caught any attitude, so I'm likely to cut him some slack for removing a distraction while checking their credentials. He seemed polite enough about it to me.

10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Slippery slope my friend. The Police don't get to order you around because you are a distraction - unless you are inhibiting their work. If you have a camera they can ask you to step back if you are in the way. If they ask for ID and you are filming, you can continue filming while you give them ID. Unless the Police have a REASON to ask you to do something - they have the same rights as you or I. In this day of the Internet and social media, all Police should have had media training by now - and be well-versed in rules involving cameras.

He could easily have said "this is a restricted area - a fire zone where we are concerned about looting. Presence prohibited except residents and emergency personnel. I will need to check ID to ensure you are a resident, and check the contents of your vehicle." Then afterwards a simple "sorry for the delay gentlemen. Sorry about your cabin. Drive slow as you exit the canyon - there are a lot of emergency vehicles on the road. Have a nice day." Professional.

I love the Police, but one bad cop destroys the reputation of 1000's. You have to hold yourself to a higher standard of behavior - always. By the way - cameras work both ways, which is why so many Police now wear body cams. Rather than asking people to turn off cameras, the Police should act like they are always on camera, even when no cameras are present. I think to a great extent this is what body cams do - they let both parties know they are being recorded. No funny business :)

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Containment now at 72%

Still 23,000 acres

12. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I completely agree with you, @BonsaiNut, but in this social media age a person can videotape something and then manipulate it into whatever message they choose. In this case, the officer might've said exactly what you suggest, but my take is it was cut to suggest harassment by The Man as opposed to thankfulness for his protection of what remained of their personal property.

I understand the outrage and sense of loss for residents of those cabins, as does the officer, being a USFS employee. He is simultaneously a protector and an adversary. Tough role to be in when you don't make the policy, and plenty of motivation to be in as much control as possible while remaining courteous and professional.*

Speaking of cameras, I know a wildlife photographer would couldn't get good shots until she realized that just facing her subjects was enough to spook them. Once she stopped looking directly at the animals, she was able to get close without making them bolt. I'd guess there's a carry-over to humans, and especially cops, when someone is pointing something at them.

* I obviously can't speak for the officer, but I can probably get his contact information if you'd like to discuss this with him directly.

13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    It isn't a big deal, and certainly isn't worth the time or attention. It is more a symptom of a bigger problem. I don't doubt that this officer has had to deal with all kinds of jerks over the years, and has little patience for someone who pops out of a truck with a camera. However it sets a tone of interaction with members of law enforcement.

But you're right - we don't know and maybe the video was edited to make the ranger look like the bad guy.

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I've read this quote a couple of times and it saddens me. I wish he had said "three individuals on bikes".

Anyone who calls Cadillac "Jeep Hill" is not a mountain biker.

I want people to view mountain bikers as a force for good stewardship of the public lands, and as a good volunteer labor pool to help maintain the trails. The last thing we need is for some individuals with questionable motives to skirt a road-block and drop into a restricted area with empty backpacks - and be labeled as "mountain bikers".

15. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Truth.

16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Here Here! :thumbsup:
    (I don't know what "Here Here" actually means, but I have seen it in old movies and it apparently means I agree...:whistling:)

17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It's "Hear! Hear!" As in listen to that guy, he knows of what he speaks.

19. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Word!

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Just saw this on the CNF Website:

Screenshot (100).png

I'm guessing this won't be necessary anymore.

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  21. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Now would actually be the perfect time to do some controlled burns in other parts of the Santa Anas that haven't burned in decades. If something goes wrong and the controlled burn gets away, there is less risk because there is nothing to burn in the Holy fire footprint.

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Just heard that they had a flare up of active fire....it’s in an inaccessible canyon. They didn’t specify where it was but mentioned the protection of radio towers.

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
  24. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Maybe wait til winter?

25. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    OCFA Twitter says within containment. Maybe not exactly.

Holy Fire: There is a flare up well inside the burned area. Smoke is visible throughout the area. The fire is currently no threat because it is in un-burned fuel surrounded by already burned vegetation. Crews are enroute. #ocfa #ocsd #ocsheriff

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  26. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Livestream

Mikie, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  27. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Near uhj?

Mikie, Faust29, Rumpled and 2 others like this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Looks like up Main Divide from UHJ

Mikie, Faust29, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Looks like active fire still:

Screenshot (101).png

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  30. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Ha, yes. Thought that would be obvious in the context of the comment I was responding to that said controlled burns wouldn't be needed anymore. Still lots of the Santa Ana's could use some burning to help mitigate risk going forward.

Mikie, kioti and Faust29 like this.