Irvine Ranch Open Access Day!

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by DangerDirtyD, Mar 6, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Cool! Love me some Irvine Ranch!

Is Fox Run still closed? I'm thinking my route will be up Quail Face, down Cattle Crest, Up/down Rabbit Run, up Shady Oaks, down Ridge Route, up West Fork (because up East Fork is brutal), down 1st half of MC SOT, then over to Hogback Ridge for either another run down Ridge Route or East Fork and out (with potential visit to Turtle Ridge), or (depending on time) head north along Serrano Ridge for another Rabbit Run drop, climb up Shady Oaks and drop Ridge Route or East Fork. I'll be hauling 150oz and safety gear. Paging @redwoods and all HOoLiGaNs!

2. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I just got an email from them saying Fox Run is open again.

http://www.irconservancy.org/landma...of-irvine-opens-after-undergoing-improvements

3. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Wooo! Thanks for the intel!

“The Fox Run Trail was originally very steep and had quite a bit of erosion damage, making it one of the least used trails in the area,” said Adam Maywhort, IRC Director of Planning and Infrastructure. “The newly redone trail meets the criteria for a world class trail and will be an exciting technical route for hikers and especially for mountain bikers.”

I suspect it has been sanitized…

4. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Yep. That's how I read it too. :laugh:

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Have fun down there, and watch out for the handrails! They can be tricky...

Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej and herzalot like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    It’s true, but I’d rather hear it from a regular.

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  7. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    It was not terrible. They redid the start and added switchbacks where the steep downhill used to be, so that sucked. To their credit, they left the steep, loose, end of the trail intact as far as I remember it anyway.

Adding switchbacks seems to be their new thing. They ruined Dripping Springs in Limestone the same way, although that one was not nearly as steep as Fox Run. Oh well, I rode FR twice today and it was fun overall.

upload_2022-2-19_11-11-16.png

8. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
    Did a mellow ride with a buddy and we were curious about Fox Run Trail. With so much hype we were a bit unimpressed, expected some more steeps but I guess the new switchbacks took the fun out of that. Was it fun? Yes it was with new dirt and the great scenery plus no hikers to ruin the momentum. Climbed back out on Shady Oaks (I think you might have passed us) and down Camarillo/Stagecoach to the Willow Staging Area where we went back up on Willow towards Old Emerald to finish the ride.

9. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    45A5F5A1-642F-42E0-98D4-2AEFF21EB548.jpeg
    @Bettis liked the new switchbacks because he kicks a leg out, and it looks cool, but i prefer the old line. New entry seems it will slough off eventually, but they neutered the cobbly climb to enter, which today I would not have cleaned. I felt like crap from the outset but just paced myself. Not enough movement all week.3CD128FD-F492-4660-8071-85C30B1CBB17.jpeg
    At least with the new railing they installed, it’s lined with barbed wire to keep the Gnar.

10. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Maybe. I passed two guys stopped on Shady and then two on the fire road. Were you the guys I chatted with at the top of Fox Run?

11. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
    Oh man, was that you who was telling us how to get back to the top? I was on the rigid SS. Great meeting you and thanks for the info! Another imtb brethren, I wonder if we'd known there might have been more smack talking involved, LOL!!! :laugh:

12. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Yep, that was me. Good to meet you. Maybe we can ride the next Bommer. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, RIGID, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  13. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    You guys need iMTBjerseys.com

Tom the Bomb, RIGID and Obsidian like this.
  14. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I would rock one if they were better looking. I might be slow ... but I have style. :Roflmao

All jokes aside ... nice times today. :alien:

Tom the Bomb, UPSed, RIGID and 2 others like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I was chasing @jmart and @Bettis all day.

Tom the Bomb and Obsidian like this.
  16. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Bettis, zero messaged posted. You may have been chasing a ghost. Signed up in Nov, and hasn't been back since.

17. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    He’s been on several iMTBgrouprides, and there are more photos of him here than there are of some HOoLiGaNs. Also, he was a member of the BombSquad back in the 80s before I knew Sensei. I’m pleasantly surprised he signed up, probably to read a few ride reports in which he is featured. That little F@cker is fast and fun and safe.
    Exhibit A with @Luis :5F103349-58DF-4F47-98A6-66F4AC33CAEA.jpeg

Tom the Bomb, Oaken and Obsidian like this.
  18. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Name:
    Eric Thai
    It was my first time on Fox Run too on Saturday. I kept expecting some steeps, but only the last little section was a little steep and challenging. The switchbacks aren't bermed, so they were slow turns for me. I also did Lizards post trail work and it felt sanitized too. I don't ride it enough to know all the details, but recall more rocks before. Most of the first part had rope railing and fresh dirt. I don't remember there being so many dirt humps. I think there used to be rockier sections if you stayed to the right, but that was all roped off. Ridge Route isn't very technical, but there are some long single track sections where you can get some speed.

19. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for you input. Strava users will need to create an updated segment for Fox Run because the switchbacks lengthen the trail and require more time to ride it.

20. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    You're a Strava user. Go for it.

Rumpled, herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  21. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    There used to be a very steep section right in the middle where the new switchbacks are. The steepest trail out there now is East Fork.

Tom the Bomb and DangerDirtyD like this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    That would give Kevin W. a KOM on a ride where he poached the trail. F703D397-44B8-420B-8010-DFFB3BF418B1.png You bet your ass I would if Kevin didn't exist.

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  23. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Flag worthy. He did it with no threat of other bikers or hikers ... seems unfair to me.

Tom the Bomb and DangerDirtyD like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?