Irvine Ranch Conservancy (open access day)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Varaxis, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Just pics for now.

1YACvRC.jpg
    - Rolling out at the break of dawn

NFFZaxg.jpg
    - The first view of the city from climbing up Quail Hill

fMQTCe8.jpg
    - Getting a little higher in altitude

uykl4bK.jpg
    - The view of the land descending from Cattle Crest trail

o8A9gCL.jpg
    - A lot of climbs, and surprisingly crowded

pPGAtgK.jpg
    - A short climb to Fox Run, full of loose stones

BBrZVB5.jpg
    - I forget why triple D was smiling. Perhaps he was happy that we exceeded his expectations on Fox Run, or he has evil plans ahead for more climbs. Or both, now that he thinks we can do Rabbit Run.

V9tNkzA.jpg
    - hill^billy being a gentleman and letting me go ahead of him. That or he doesn't want to be the star of the my GoPro footage.

cVSysQb.jpg
    - I suspect this climb was part of why triple-D was smiling. He told us this was an ass kicker climb, and that there was another right after it.

Got some GoPro vids of some of the descents that I'm prepping. Got some decent footage of Cattle Crest, Shady Oaks (2nd run), Fox Run, Rabbit Run, and Turtle Ridge. I don't think Mikie starred in any, but I think I may have caught hill^billy's slow mo endo into a bush at the bottom of Rabbit Run.

The ride was over 15 miles and 3000' climbing. I hit my climbing quota for the week half way through. I will be more wary of OC riders' hunger for climbing the next time I visit. :eek:

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Varaxis!
    What a great day getting to FINALLY meet you!
    You're a very strong rider, really enjoyed riding together today...
    I'm liking the GoPro Pics. I have a GoPro III and a Chesty. Could you post your process of taking pics with it? GoPro settings, how your firing the camera to take a shot? I think they come out really well and I want to get more "on the trail" shots and less of the in between stuff...

I want a host a day with you guys on our turf, like really soon...

~Mikie

3. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    I hooked up the GoPro upside down on my Chesty, and angled it up about 20 degrees to compensate for my forward leaning body position. I feel that the chesty works a little better higher up on the chest, the bottom edge aligned with the bottom of your pecs, as it's more stable than if it were touching your belly a bit.

As for settings, I make sure that it's set to "Upside Down" and set the "Timed Picture" setting is set to 30 seconds. You can try 10 seconds too, but this was a long ride and I didn't want to go through that many pics. I left it at the highest resolution (12 MP Wide). When I start the camera, I just hit the Power/Mode button about 3 times or until I see the "Timed Picture" icon and then press the Shutter/Select button and let it run. The battery lasted me until the top of the 2nd ass kicker climb (at the Rabbit Run entrance) using those settings, and turning it off maybe 4 times at break points.

Someone should talk about the ride and the area. First thing I noticed was how fragrant the trail was. It went from sawdust-like to pine-like, and in some areas had some flowery smells. Noticed some hawks flying about and also saw a crow sized bird acting like a hummingbird, hovering around the weeds above a pond near the West Fork trail. The weather was nice and visibility was above average, allowing for some great sights. Could see the Santa Ana clear enough to make out the antennas on top, which apparently was Joplin (I wouldn't know, as I haven't ridden it). No rattlesnakes or any other critters spotted. Only hostile creatures out there were us, according to some of the hikers. :roll:

Triple-D looked like he had a lot of fun. Mikie was joking most the time, and Hill^Billy played the "straight guy". Forgive me, but I forgot who was the other guy who joined us. For some reason I remember him as "Shannon or Shawn" (yes, I know Shannon's a girl name), and the guy who manages a bike shop, who gave me tips on subjects to write about. Oh and flat landers like me made it known that we love to sit and rest when we can, to wait up for others to catch up on climbs. Triple-D joined in a couple times, much to Mikie's chagrin, who claimed that he gets f'd up if he stops pedaling. We all were amazed by how well Mikie pedaled, considering how [little] often he gets out to ride.

Mikie likes this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Great day today out in Irvine! Thank you DangerDD for being a steller guide and providing the after ride beer, AND treating Mikie and I to lunch, AND even MORE BEER! Also nice meeting you Varaxis, a very quitely skilled,strong rider. Of course my mistake is caught on tape, wait, there is no more tape? Looking forward to the next ride day. Oh and thanks for driving Mikie, always a pleasure to ride with you. :cool:

Mikie likes this.
  5. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    You almost got lucky. My mem card was F'ing up when I was downloading it to my PC. I processed only the Cattle Crest part so far. Skipped over the first Shady Oaks part, cutting out that steep climb before it. Working on Fox Run atm. Updating as videos are completed.

A nice intro trail to the rest of the park. Super fast if you let go of the brakes and find traction in the twisties.

This trail was very raw and jagged. I was rather tense going down it. My feet went numb by the time I got to the bottom. Very thrilling experience that had you feeling like you were on the edge for most the way.

This trail felt mellow, after riding Fox Run, at least until the very last part, where you had to quickly decide which line to take through the techy chunk. That last rock at the end looked like you had to ride straight down a wall, looking down from the top. hill^billy rolled the rock before it a bit too far to the right and supposedly got his tire stuck like a wedge between the rocks.

Relatively smooth, fast, and flowy. I was familiar with this kind of trail from riding Sycamore Canyon (Riverside), so I thought it was nice.

After hearing a hiker talk about bikers beating up the trail, I decided to ride a bit more responsibly here, being a bit smoother with all my inputs. The experience wasn't half bad and I felt in good control. I think a switch went off in my head though, and I started chasing hill^billy, but when my eyes started to fill with dust that his tires threw up into the air, I gave him a bit more room so I could have time to blink and see more clearly.

Sorry about the music on the last one. YouTube muted the other track I chose, and I just used something from my personal preferences. I never seen a mtb vid with mainly violins and piano, but I guess this is the first.

knucklebuster and Mikie like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Duuudes! I bonked on the couch this afternoon and slept for 5 hours! It felt longer than the 20+ miles and 3200' of climbing. Thanks again Mikie, Doug, Danny, and Shannon for coming out! The San Joaquin Hills are too small to shuttle these trails, so you have to earn it on the climbs. All ya'll were very strong riders with not even a dab on Fox Run! I'm sure if you knew what's on the other side of those boulders, Rabbit Run would have been handled just the same. Excellent ride report Danny! I'll hit you guys up to experience the Juniper and Manzanita forest duff soon!

Mikie likes this.
  7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    More Pics...

irc_33.jpg

irc_32.jpg

irc_31.jpg

irc_30.jpg

irc_29.jpg

irc_28.jpg

irc_27.jpg

irc_26.jpg

irc_25.jpg

irc_24.jpg

irc_23.jpg

irc_22.jpg

irc_21.jpg

irc_20.jpg

irc_19.jpg

irc_18.jpg

irc_17.jpg

irc_16.jpg

irc_15.jpg

irc_14.jpg

irc_13.jpg

irc_12.jpg

irc_10.jpg

irc_09.jpg

irc_08.jpg

irc_07.jpg

irc_06.jpg

irc_05.jpg

irc_03.jpg

irc_02.jpg

irc_01.jpg

What an awesome day hanging out with these guys. Dennis was a great ride host and it was awesome top meet Shannon and Dan.
    Temps in the 80's feels like early spring is just around the corner. Now it's our turn to host them up our way...

knucklebuster and Cyclotourist like this.
  8. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    That mustache. Few men grow them like that. It reminded me of a young Joseph Stalin for some reason.

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    :eek::laugh::Roflmao

10. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Maybe studying WW2 messed up my head. I thought it was full of awesome. Loved how Stalingrad, and the events leading up to it, was explained. The way they made their strategy sound simple and how they halted the Nazis and practically raped them from behind with Operation Uranus...

11. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    @hill^billy and @Mikie, Shannon is a good friend of mine and manages the cyclery USA here in Rancho Cucamonga. Great guy, strong rider, gave me a good deal on my trek. like I texted you Doug, nearby at Laguna Coast wilderness there some even better trails, once I think you would have liked a lot. Lot of pictures of hillbilly, even the last one at the gun show!I guess the pump insanity is working, lol

Mikie likes this.
  12. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    HA! I was going for the Freddy Mercury look!

knucklebuster and Mikie like this.
  13. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Nice write up guys! love the pics. I will hit that ride soon. Bummer I missed it. Dennis what a ham. Some guys will do anything to get in the movies.Looks like you guys worked your ass off on those climbs. Good riding in the O.C but you do pay for it.Great vids Varaxis, we should take you on all of our rides.
    Thanks

Mikie likes this.
  14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Bump! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahhhh!
    I was just talking last night at our ride regarding @DangerDirtyD touting large bottles of beer while conducting parking lot "inline skate pirouettes"...
    Then saw the pics of him doing those in the upper right pic slot machine.... priceless.
    Note: rare pics of @Varaxis himself as well... and, riding with a guy I used to know name @hill^billy :oops:

15. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Open Access Day is tomorrow, August 20!

16. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    @littlewave or anyone else, do you have a link to the website showing the access day calendar? I've searched far too long and can't find it.

GREAT RR from 2.5 years ago, you guys haven't aged more than 3 years since then:D

17. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    type in Irvine ranch conservancy.

18. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Thanks for all your help :thumbsdown: Back to STR mentality? Forget it, we'll figure it out.

19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I went to the site, http://letsgooutside.org/activities/, and entered "Wilderness Access" as a keyword search filter, and it popped up with the upcoming days. It looks like the results only go out a month or so.

knucklebuster, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Depends...

Also - full calendar at - www.letsgooutside.org

knucklebuster, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  21. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    I love you guys!

Mikie likes this.
  22. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    You can also filter the calendar at lets letsgooutside.org to show just Bommer Canyon. Go to activities, then in the drop down for area change it to Bommer Canyon.

Next open access day is Saturday September 17, 2016.

Mikie and knucklebuster like this.
  23. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Thanks guys, seems to me they make it a little hard to find, being that a google search for "irvine ranch conservatory open access" doesn't return the specific info but the general website letsogooutside, which you then have to search through and hope to find it. Or maybe I just suck at google and internet stuff, and I want my info right now dangit! :confused: At least I know where it is now for future reference.

BTW, the ride was fun this morning, Fox and Rabbit Run downhills along with Lizard to start and fenceline on the way back. But sure is allot of steep climbing. The trails don't look so much like the videos Varaxis posted a couple years ago, some wear and tear since then I guess... still good times with some pretty challenging tech spots thrown in :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  24. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Wait, what? Used to know? That was a good day!

25. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Every third Saturday of the month is Bommer Canyon open access.

26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Picture slot machine...
    I miss @Varaxis!
    upload_2018-10-11_21-39-1.jpeg

27. littlewave

Name: