Intermittent Fasting

Discussion in 'Health' started by Derkderkall, Jun 19, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Truth! That bulletproof is like a meal!

2. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    Kudos to you for realizing the meds weren’t working and finding GREAT results in the alternative.

mike, buggravy and mountaingirl sara like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Interesting research and results @buggravy. Thank you for sharing. I wish I would have read your post before riding with you today. My wife has battled Rheumatoid Arthritis (an autoimmune disease) for 25 years and that includes some pretty aggressive medications. She has done surprisingly well with her meds - minus the part where she almost died, needed emergency surgery and was kept in a drug-induced coma for a week.

I will have her look into what you have discovered, although the Orencia seems to be working very well right now. (Knocking on wood)

4. kazlx

kazlx Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I've been doing this since a little bit after I got back from my Oregon trip. It was a kickass trip and I had a ton of fun, but it was an eye opener that I need to drop some pounds and just move to be in better shape in general. I basically started out with two back to back 48 hr fasts pretty effortlessly and it has broken the majority of my hunger. I carry a hydro flask with me basically everywhere I go and probably drink between 1-2 gallons of water a day. I have the 24 oz container and probably drink 3-4 of them a day. I feel better, I'm really feeling like separating eating because I'm hungry and want food and eating because of: time, social cues, snacks and worst of all (IMO) boredom. I've done quite a bit of research and feel like it's really going to work for me long term, along with the gym and riding. The biggest appeal to me, is it is one way to help control calories and weight with zero effort besides will power. It doesn't cost anything, actually saving money, is super flexible, has really made me feel quite a bit peppier.

I have a routine doc appointment next week, so it will be interesting to get labs done and see if there's anything noticeable or not, however, I'm down about 12 lbs since Oregon and probably 15 or more since the last time I was weighed at the doc. I'm currently at 238ish and would ideally like to be at 200-210.

I can't count how many times I would eat breakfast (I start shift earlyish at 7am) and then still eat lunch because it was 'time' even though I wasn't that hungry. It's not hard to see how many extra calories I was getting. On top of all that, I'm just trying to eat better. Sticking to cooking lean meats and fresh veggies and reducing/avoiding, but not eliminating carbs. I have no problem with mac and cheese, but trying to stop eating an order of mine and then finishing my kid's food because they took two bites and didn't eat it.

At 38, gone are the days of eating 3 footlongs at Subway and playing basketball for 14 hours straight at the gym to burn it off and then some.

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I’m inspired!

I would love to scarf a few footlongs and play B-ball for 14 hours!

But alas, I too am motivated to lose a few pounds, like 50 of them. I ain’t fasting tho...not yet anyway. This summer, i’ve Been drinking more beer and riding less. My plan is to drink less beer, ride more, not finish my wife’s/kids’ leftovers (you make a good point), eat only half a donut from the office kitchen, cut out soda and onion rings and animal-style fries and and and...until Chicken Nugget Showtime.

Dammit tho, I’m hungry!

herzalot, kazlx, buggravy and 3 others like this.
  6. kazlx

kazlx Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    My buddies and I all used to just eat like crazy in HS, but I was also non-stop sports and just life. After college and once I really got a job I've been sort of slowly gaining. I made a big push prior to meeting my wife and was really trim in my late 20s (starting riding bikes again around 25 to do something fun and help control weight. After I got married, got a little thicker, just from doing less gym and solo stuff and more dates, meals and things like that. It's been a slow slide after kids. Long portions of inconsistent sleep, eating extras to not 'waste' food and just easy meals that usually include lots of pasta and carbs.

On a positive note, I'm really not a beer/alcohol fan, so that's not an issue Very occasional social drinking. My one vice is drinking Diet Coke like it's going out of style and just sort of snacking and eating too much in general. My goal is to go from 250ish down to about 200-210. I've always been a pretty solid dude once I started putting on muscle through high school. Peak weight for me was about 210 and looking pretty trim. I'd be happy close to that again. Plus, I'd really just like to improve my performance on the bike. Climbing will be the most noticeable, but I know I'm way faster descending when I'm leaner.

I have taken some before pics and I'm hoping to throw up some results after hopefully seeing some noticeable changes. Too bad it won't regrow my hair....

7. kazlx

kazlx Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    So, an update to this whole thing, for me. I started IF Aug 19th. Like stated before, I was around 250+ on the Oregon trip the first week of August. For me, so far, it works. Obviously, there's not much science behind the why it works...don't eat food = lose weight. I think the reason this has been working well for me as sort of a 'diet' is because of a few different factors. I still pretty much eat what I want (although, full disclosure, I have been making better choices) and mentally, it's easier to prepare for timing and have on/off times since I'm so bad at moderation and portion control. But now I can basically have a normal meal and I find myself eating noticeably less to his that 'full' point. After doing a couple longer fasts back to back, I have found that for me, it has really cut my affinity to eat and especially snack/eat junk. I've also been trying to limit carbs. I'm down to high 230s already and that was with killing a couple legit burritos at a Mexican place at Big Bear over this weekend. It might not be for everyone, but so far it has been working really well for me. The biggest change is that I'm not hungry all the time and it sinks in more of when you 'want' to eat as opposed to more 'need' to eat. It has mentally really cut back on my snacking. I am able to sort of recognize the small hunger pangs and ignore them instead of just eating something. In 20 minutes or so, they just go away. So far, this has been without working out (besides riding the bike, no gym).

I started at the gym this morning before work. I really hate getting up early, as I start work at 7am. So, to get in a workout, I'm up at 4:45 to get to the gym by 5 and then workout until 6 and then home to shower and normal routine. I ate a small meal last night (3 eggs/slice of swiss). My treats/sweets lately have been dark chocolate almonds, which I normally love anyway. I've read/watched a few things where dark coco is a suggested food for something sweet and nuts are a pretty open goto on most of the diets. So, for me, it's a great way to have a small handful to take the edge off when I want something sweet.

I have to say, overall, I feel quite a bit better, sort of 'lighter' instead of the 'always sort of full' kind of way. I feel like I have more energy, which, a lot of this is still new, so it could be mental/the change/whatever, so I'll have to see how I feel over the longer term. Gut feeling tells me this is going to be a way easier way to regulate my weight and 'diet' than just eating less all the time. At this point, I've read quite a few articles and watched a bunch of different videos and it makes sense for me and to me. I'm a big science guy so I like seeing things backed up with solid reasoning and data, plus making sure it jives with my personal experience, which, bottom line...it does so far. I'm really hoping to give this a solid 6 months to look back at pics and see how I look/feel. If anyone else is doing the same, I'd be interested in hearing.

I have an annual appointment with my doc on Thursday, so I'm curious to see how that will go. I know I'm down weight wise, but I should be getting a full blood workup as well, so it will be interesting to see how numbers compare to previous labs. I'm on meds for high blood pressure and have been since I was in my early 30s. I realize this may just be hereditary, but I'd be super stoked if I can lose weight, manage to stay in better shape long term and actually reduce or get off meds. I'd really like to avoid being a Type II diabetic.

herzalot, Redman, doublewide and 4 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?