Interesting comparison between Fox's RC2 vs Grip fit 2 dampers

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by tbarnesarc, Jun 18, 2018.

1. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    Came across this video while doing the nightly youtube subscription viewing. I've been impressed with the insightful videos Fanatik Bike Co. has been producing lately. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Makoto, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Got my fork two months too soon. Oh well.

Not sure if I should do a PUSH Spring kit, the new Grip 2, a Voltershmekkenrergenneberg cap or just leave it the f**k alone. :confused:

DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  3. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    I have the 2018 Fox Factory 36 160 RC2 as well. So far I'm not overly impressed and that's after getting the 2019 "top out" update from Fox. My 2017 Fox Performance 34 140 with the GRIP damper is much smoother. Luckily I'm not overly sensitive on this stuff and while it's not "pure heaven", it's acceptable for the way I ride. If I was going to spend any money, and I might next year if I keep this bike, I'll probably throw down for the ACS3 spring kit (and increase the travel to 170 while I'm at it). I could be mistaken but I thought I recently saw that PUSH was unable to solve the "clunking" in the ACS3 kit though and had stopped shipping them for now?

herzalot, DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  4. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    It's interesting that both of you haven't been impressed with the 2018 36 rc2. Everybody I've either spoken to or the reviews I've read say it's one of the best forks out there. Maybe there's some QC issues with both of your forks? Who knows though. I guess the good thing is at least the new damper is retrofit-able for $300 :eek:. Regardless the grip 2 looks promising. Can't wait for my 2019 36 170mm to show up especially after watching that video.

herzalot likes this.
  5. muni

muni Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    I ended up getting the Avalanche cartridge on my 2017 Fox 34 performance. Fox 34 performed well, but now it's like 'WOW'.

tbarnesarc likes this.
  6. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    Right on! I've heard great things about the Avy cartridges.

7. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with my fork - (I have the FIT 4, not RC2). I just think I am picky and spoiled. It's great in most situations, except fast chop. Perhaps there's a combination of settings I've messed up, but I don't think so. It's pretty straight forward. Internal spacers (1), air pressure (70), rebound setting (mid). I keep the high speed compression backed off almost completely. A little low speed compression to prevent dive (4-8 clicks of 22).

I'd like to take a Whizz on it. The Shock Whizz, that is.

8. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer Pro Carbon
    All fixed now. As a matter of fact I have the revised 170 kit and no clicking. Very plush and Smooth! Do it, you won't be disappointed. Mine was for the lyrik 170 in case that makes a difference.

mtnbikej, tbarnesarc and mtbMike like this.
  9. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    The Shock Wiz gave me a score of 100 after riding it in it's current state. I'm hoping/thinking/(praying?) that it will also become more plush as it breaks in over time. I've only got 10-12 days on that bike.

@tbarnesarc ...When I took it in to have it checked out, there were GLOBS of grease inside where there should have been "a light layer of grease". It's a regular issue based on postings over on MTBR. There has been some improvement since having that taken care of but I'm still in search of plushness.

tbarnesarc and herzalot like this.
  10. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    Yeah, that's one of the QC instances I was referring to. The other culprit could just be the fork seals haven't worn in yet as you stated. Once the 36 I ordered shows up I think the first thing I'll do is drop the lowers and redo the oil levels and re-lube the seals. Hopefully yours becomes buttery smooth soon!

11. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Would you be willing to do that for my fork? I am not comfortable opening up suspension parts.

littlewave likes this.
  12. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    Ha! I offered to do that for you a while back and you laughed at me about it. :eek: Bring me a 6 pack of greenies and I'll bang it out for you. :thumbsup:

13. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What the hell is a greenie? :confused: And I've never laughed at you - as far as you know! :whistling:

I'll see you with fork and "greenies" in hand soon. :thumbsup:

mtnbikej likes this.
  14. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    Greenies aka green beers aka Heineken adult sport sodas. ;)

I've never pulled the air spring out but it looks easier than on rockshox since there isn't a traditional snap ring.

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Am I the only one who thinks that most beers in green bottles taste/smell skunky? Heineken, Stella, Moosehead, Dos Equis...

But hey, if that's what the man wants, that's what ye shall receive.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  16. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    :rolleyes:. Anyways, skunky green beers or no service for you! o_O

And... Back on topic. Out of curiosity has anyone tried the new 2019 fox grip 2 stuff yet? If not I'll report my findings once mine shows up and am able to un-shred the gnar...:rolleyes:

17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    No. I tend to agree that those green beers taste much like the other formaldehyde beers (Curs, Buttwiper, Mildew, etc). But variety is the spice of life, and to each their own!! :thumbsup:

tbarnesarc likes this.
  18. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    Greaaat. Gramps #2 is popping off now... You both have new nicknames for mocking my taste in adult sport sodas...
    @herzalot = CantankaHerz
    @Runs with Scissors = Runs without Spectacles
    :sneaky:

19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Last time I rode without my spectacles I crashed....

Running without them isn't an issue. :Roflmao

Taste in beer is as personal as taste in music. Some of the stuff people call music is, to me, nothing more than atonal noise. Some of the stuff people call beer is, to me, tasteless swill. :p Again, to each their own...if it works for you, great!!:thumbsup:

Voodoo Tom and tbarnesarc like this.