Intense Spider 275c vs 2016 Tracer 275a Expert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CBone, Apr 11, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Pretty stoked to be looking for a new bike. The local shop has a 2016 alloy Tracer Expert in stock. Awesome build. The shop has offered to sell to me at a steep discount. It is overkill for my local trails but would be great for trips to Southern Utah and the like. I'm not like the rest of you rich IMTBers and can only afford one at a time ;)

They will sell me a new model carbon Foundation build Spider for about the same price. The Spider would be a much better climber and more suited to local trails and, to be truthful, my ability. It is a nice build also with a pike, dropper etc. Unfortunately they can't get the Spider until mid May.

So, should I wait on the Spider or go for the Tracer before it is gone.

Does anyone have experience/own a Spider? How does the Tracer do on the ups?

Input?

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Spider is a faster climber than the Tracer. I have a Tracer. It's an adequate climber for its 160mm of travel, but it wasn't made to be a climber. Get the Spider if it better suits your riding preferences and style. A bike isn't a great deal if you wish you bought something else.

3. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Patience. Spider. Good luck!

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I agree with the gents above. No sense is dragging around too much bike for your everyday riding, just for the occasional out of town trip.

The Tracer may be above your skill set, but if you learn how to ride the Spyder it should serve you well. Remember it's not about the bike. It's about the pilot.

5. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I never rode any of the two, but thats why it is important to demo the bikes prior to purchasing. Both bikes service a specific purpose narrow it down and good luck on your new bike enjoy.

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Before I bought my Jet 9 (140 front/120 rear) I demoed several long travel bikes. I really loved the way they just ate up everything in their path and they weren't horrible to climb with either. Ultimately I knew I didn't need that much travel for my type of riding. I couldn't be happier with my decision. Another vote for waiting. :thumbsup:

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You have the itch! But don't let that lead you into a choice you'll regret down the road... Think it through. Which one would you regret not having?

I'm sort of in the same boat. I absolutely loved my experiment with plus tires going downhill, and I keep being tempted to get a bike with + wheels. Then I remember why I don't ride the ones I have in the garage now. I just can't drag them around for a 50 miler. They just don't fit my riding style the majority of the time.

If you have only one bike, make it the one that fits for most of your rides, and stretch it to the ones you don't think it's built for. You might find the opposite is true...

8. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I suggest as albert mentions, to find a way to demo both of them. I bet you could find a Spider Foundation build to demo. Ultimately if you can get both on your local favorite trails in back to back (or close to it) scenario would be best.

A couple things I see just from the stat sheets, the Tracer AL Expert will have better components and I wouldn't be surprised if it was lighter than than the Spider Carbon foundation build. The tracer I think can be dropped to 140 travel, not much different than the 130 of the spider. Not sure on the fork adjustment. Of course the geo will be different, which is why you should ride them both. The Tracer might give you a little more confidence on harder/faster trails with it's more aggressive geo. No, not always about the bike, but if it gives you confidence to push yourself on stuff that you wouldn't even try on another bike....

Good Luck, have fun demo-ing!

9. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I ride a Nomad. And, for 80% of the trails I ride it is too much bike (according to the masses). I am like you, a single bike quiver kind of guy. Does the nomad climb all of the trails I ride? Absolutely! Is it the fastest uphill? Absolutely not! Do I care how fast I get uphill? Absolutely not. BUT, it is an absolute rocket going down hill. And for me, that's where all my smiles come from. I will take suffering uphill at a slow pace any day over mediocre smiles going downhill. I suffer climbing regardless of the bike, so whats a little more suffering? The nomad never fails me going downhill. Heck, it never fails me going uphill either. And, when those handful of times a year comes around when I need all that the nomad has to offer. It's right there ready for me and I'm already used to the way it performs on trail. To me it was a simple decision. If I was into racing, cross country long distance rides, etc. I would have chosen an entirely different bike.
    My point is...buy the bike that will put the biggest smiles on your face the most often. For me, it was the nomad.

Good luck with your search.

10. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    It really depends on your riding style.

I own both a tracer 275 and a short travel 29er (Salsa spearfish). For me, the tracer took a while to really understand how to ride it. The vpp3 comes alive at high speed (higher than what I'm comfortable with) downhill and climbing wasn't too bad. If you descend slowly on the tracer, it will make you pay! I would agree that it is overkill on a lot of the trails around me (cough fullerton loop). The Spearfish however, with 3 inches of travel climbs well and is an all around lively bike. Descending is challenging because you need to pick your lines, but the head angle and large wheels means that the bike with self prop up if you get into trouble. There have been times when I hit a sand pit and was about to wash out when I corrected steering and the rear end swung underneath me and saved me from sideways endo.

All in all, if I know I'm going down rock-it or the luge, then I'm carrying the tracer. Most other rides, its the Salsa, because I'm not fast downhill and I don't jump.

Ride on!

11. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    Shoot you were looking at the spider 275 and not the spider 29.

This is like the nomad vs bronson debate. Both real capable bikes, but I'd go for the spider c rather the tracer A.
    The tracer is a beast of a machine and everyday I wished for the carbon version. But then again, as many times as I fell off the tracer, it probable would not have lasted as long.

12. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    How about a Tallboy or Hightower? Local shop here can get screaming deals. He had some of Intenses blow-out inventory below dealer cost. But those may be gone.

13. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I should have mentioned that my old bike was a 2012 Giant Reign with, of course, 26 in. wheels. Six inches of travel and not much of a climber/pedaler. The travel bailed me out quite a few times when I did find some chunk to ride. Just point and shoot. I have been a little concerned about giving up some of the ability to descend.

New wrinkle
    I stopped by the shop on the way home and the owner gave me a third option. Primer Foundation build at about the same price. He is willing to let try his Primer for a couple of days. The jump to 29in. wheels will be interesting but I'll give it a shot. Maybe the 29 in. wheels and updated geo will compensate for the loss of travel. I'll keep you posted.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    The Tracer has a 145 or 160 setting (until the new one was released this year, which is fixed at 165). The Tracer geometry doesn't change when you change the travel setting.

The Primer is a great bike - probably better than the Spider for most things. However, you will know it's a 29er on slow switchbacks. (That doesn't seem to bother @mtnbikej - one of the best switchbackers I've ridden with).

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
  16. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    Im waiting on a 2nd hand this..

of course I need someone who has my dimensions and weight to make it right

-Bikes_R160_custom-3d-printed-ti-carbon_all-mountain-enduro-trail-mountain-bike_complete-600x400.jpg

17. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    scottay, herzalot and Voodoo Tom like this.
  18. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    OH it's not as bad as the Aztek!!! Boy that was an ugly design!!!

Sasquatch9billion and Torrent77 like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yes, but the Aztek not only looked horrible, it was horrible. Did you read about this suspension design? Did they finally truly discover how to make a 7" travel bike feel like a supple version of a 4" travel race machine climbing and an 8" plush DH rig on the downs? Some would say they Naild it!

mtnbikej and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  20. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I did see that. That part looks interesting, it's just that bile taste in my mouth that's hard to get past.

scottay, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  21. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    If you crack a tube, just take the bike to Home Depot and get a whole new tube or fitting.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?