Inside the Hope Pro 4 Hub

Discussion in 'Videos' started by mtnbikej, Jan 4, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Love this kind of stuff.....

abuck55, Erik H, OTHRider and 3 others like this.
  2. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Technically, machining from a forged blank is no stronger than machining from billet (block of metal), but as they say, it saves them machining time, which is why the forging step adds value to the process (increase production yields). The springback of the material, especially tough materials like 7075-T6, causes tolerance issues, even if machined very precisely, so it's wise to use as high quality stock as possible for minimal quality issues. Adding another step like forging risks worsening the springback issue, compared to using high quality billet.

In the end, hubs are basically still just shells for bearings, and these guys didn't really talk much about the bearings besides saying they went for bigger ones. Tolerances are very important for bearing life and operation though.

Rear hubs are where the excitement is at and I personally believe I9 is still a good deal ahead of these guys, despite Hope gaining an EDM setup and making pawls in a similar fashion. Heck, Stan's Neo hubs interest me significantly more than these, despite their older hubs being mediocre at best. I respect the old dog here, but having Steel City Media make a nice video of his stuff only shows me that they care a lot more about the QA and finishing stages, esp compared to Asian made stuff, but not much about why their design is any better than anything but their older hubs and less expensive options. Seems a straight up guy, seeing how he knows of many issues plaguing bad hubs, and how he holds consistent quality very high, definitely not out there to jip anyone. I actually respect the guys bringing quality stuff to lower price points more, because that's very challenging and relatively gloryless/thankless work.

My biggest peeve about rear hubs is the noise. I9s are so loud that riding buddies comment about their volume. I actually find it detrimental to the riding experience, flowing on trails swooping to and fro. This peeve also includes the noise from the hollow clang/clunk in some hubs when they engage, like Eastons some other low engagement hubs. Hopes are on the loud side, and I hear the Neos are just as loud. Always find myself returning to DTs.

abuck55 likes this.
  3. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Love that stuff too!

abuck55 likes this.
  4. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    I'm sure someone will know an exception to my statement, but I have been told, read (and let my purchases follow) that a forged component will be stronger than an identical component machined from billet of the same material. Yes, the near-net shape saves machining time also.

It has been my belief that a forged part develops a grain structure that conforms to its final shape and is denser also. This would typically result in a higher strength in a given area when compared to a machined billet. This feature of forgings becomes valuable in thin-wall areas especially.

From my days in a cold-heading facility, I remember the lesson of how much stronger a "rolled" thread (formed in a die under pressure) was versus a cut or machined thread, in part, due to the superior grain structure of the thread.

And yes, I could watch videos like this all day - thanks J.

Makoto, Grego, abuck55 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Does this come with subtitles?

Daddy Dirtbag and abuck55 like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Me too - on both counts. I could not stand the I9s I rode as they felt slow when coasting and the volume was really annoying to me.

Interestingly, my buddy's DT 350s make as much noise as his Chris Kings used to. Loudest DT I've ever heard. Mine (240s) are quiet as a church mouse. Well, a lightly clicking church mouse that is!

abuck55 and mtnbikej like this.
  7. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    I have two sets of 350 hubs and a set of 240s hubs and I don't really notice a difference in the noise. The DT Swiss star ratchets do get louder when they have been running a while. That is how I know mine need to be serviced. Still nowhere as loud as Hopes.

herzalot likes this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I have Pro II's , 240's and Stan's 3.3o hubs in the garage.

The Pro II's are not quiet, but to be honest, I don't think they are all that loud. Maybe I have just become used to them and just don't hear them anymore.

The 240's are quiet when I service them, but get louder over time...but still stays a more subtle buzz.

The 3.3o hubs seem almost as loud as the Pro II's.

9. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Quality 7075-T6 billet is forged too. The difference in this case is that a lower quality billet that is cast can have issues with how evenly it cools, as the microstructure with it how crystallizes, precipitates, etc. is created at this point which determines the material's mechanical properties, and also having issues with impurities and voids such as from moisture (trapped steam), which annealing or heat treating cannot remedy. When you machine either the billet or the part is near-net-shape forged, the grain structure is interrupted. The parts that aren't cut retain the forged strength, but in Hope's case and i9 and CK's case, the entire surface area of the part is machined, so the only benefit is them saving machining time, since there's less to machine, but with that added risk I noted previously. I9 and CK recycle their swarf, so the waste created from machining billet isn't really any worse either. CK's bearings makes them stand out from the other hubs, and also their sealing if you ride in bad conditions (which just adds drag if you ride in fair conditions).

People go on about saying they like forged parts, but I would like to know they'd rather have a Thomson Elite/Masterpiece seatpost + X4 stem or the forged equivalent from a brand like TruVativ?