Injury Experience

Discussion in 'Health' started by Poofighter, Apr 30, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley

Sounds like you’re making some amazing changes that can benefit you now and long term!!! That’s awesome!
    I get the ego thing, that’s a tough one! My identity was wrapped up in being a strong athlete..if I wasn’t a mtn biker and trail runner etc, then who was I? Geez....to dig down and figure out who you are other than an athlete takes some serious soul searching(for me anyways)!
    Your trainer idea sounds like a good one, between that and PT you should be set!
    You’re inspiring and transparent..thanks for sharing your journey!

2. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Thanks Mike! I always love to hear what you have to say, your wise, warm and genuine :thumbsup::)
    How are you healing up??

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Shall we all give you a "what for?" instead of sympathy? :facepalm: :whistling:

Setbacks suck.....but your body will tell you when it's ready.

4. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Sure, I’ll take it all...I can handle it;)
    Thanks J man! :)

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for the good words, pal. :)

Continuing improvement here, thanks! Getting close to sitting on a bike seat again. I may be more held back by icy trails than bad body parts pretty soon, woohoo!?! :thumbsup:

6. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Great news amigo!!!

Faust29 and mike like this.
  7. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    @buggravy @mountaingirl sara sorry to hear of your setbacks. Hoping you get back to progress quick. Having had a couple forced hiatus' in the past two or three years I know the psychological deflation of a setback can be tough. You'll get there, hang tough and diligent!

@mike glad to hear you're getting close!

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This^^^ I too can't figure out my identity without being at least competent at some sports. Those days are coming to a close, and it freaks me out. I am currently hurrying to get my skiing back to where it was, and to become a competent snowboarder. Last summer was a desperate run at getting back some competence on the surfboard. I hate where this is headed... I know I should focus on my profession and my family, and I do, but I cannot let go.

Sara - we are all inspired by your attitude. I am so sorry for your setback. We will send you as much positive energy as we can! You too @buggravy @Danimal and @mike

9. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Sara interesting you were allowed to run before mtn biking!?!? I would think running is so much harder on the knee than cycling

10. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Thanks much Dave!!! It’s just a matter of time:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Thanks my friend, it’s nice to be understood. Humans sheesh...were so complex!
    I know that between myself and the other mtb hooligans, family, friends we could make a huge list of your amazing qualities...but even that wouldn’t satiate your identity crisis...I get it.... you have to feel it! Sadly this issue is just something many of us will have to work out and struggle through....BUT who’s to say that we won’t be badazz athletes well into our big kid years....hmm??!!
    To be totally transparent tho I think injuries make me feel older..and that sucks the worst! I lived for and loved feeling strong, agile, fast, adventurous and up for anything ...take that away and I feel like an old woman:coffee::cry::facepalm:

12. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Possibly because this is the same surgeon that repaired my broken collarbone due to a different MTB crash.:oops:

13. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    We're talking about our aging bodies and moving through the different stages of ability . I played football and ran track I loved running fast, feeling strong. Running a pass play and beating somebody on a long pass or shutting down receivers trying to catch the ball .
    Every year for the last 15 years our church has a turkey bowl football tournament and I'd pride myself in being able to play with the 'kids ' into my early 50's. Then I kept pulling my hamstrings trying to get into that next gear No matter how much stretching and strengthening I did, twang! There would go the back of my leg . 1 of my coworkers once told me football is a young man's game..i kept resisting but your body will have the deciding vote
    So I guess it's a gradual letting go of expectations .
    Now I ride, run, lift some and push myself knowing my limits ... And loving it
    My 2 cents

14. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Is this still the SkyPark Comet injury?

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good post, C. I try to embrace the challenges of aging as every tech challenge. The joys of mountain sports, IMO, don't diminish with ability. There is always a classic line to bag. Super easy ones are still worthy. :thumbsup:

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @mountaingirl sara, RE your thought about injuries making one feel old...

The notion of losing capability is a disconcerting one – in isolation. But the big picture, at least for me, is: The source of every injury that resulted in temporary or ongoing disability was...going for it in the outdoors. Which, on its own, has saved people like me from so many other less obvious but more destructive conditions.

Who knows how many viruses and bacteria my immune system has overcome due to the white blood cell surge from exercise. Or how much drug and alcohol use I’ve mitigated by opting for the endorphin buzz. Or jail time I missed by getting off on sports activities rather than crime. How about years of extra life in good heath versus merely hanging on until the end.

Yes, moderation is a nice theory, but some just have a hard time toeing that line. I’ll take the injuries, even the bad ones that leave residual issues, over a so-called safe existence. They’re like the dents in my car and scratches on my bike. They would not be there if I never did anything, so they actually provide a measure of assurance and comfort.

Live fast and hard, take chances, stick it. Or don’t stick it, just put on a smile and move ahead with what ya got.

17. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    And a very good 2 cents! Thanks for sharing! I guess the bottom line is, as long as we keep moving, playing, adventuring in some capacity it’s all good. The ego will have to adapt and let go.
    Here’s to many more years of doing something other than sofa surfing!!!:thumbsup::):cool::sneaky:

mtnbikej, scan, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  18. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Yep:gotnothing:o_O same one

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Like but no like. :thumbsdown:

20. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Very very good points here Mike! And those endorphins have saved me as well, esp as a young adult and again as a stay at hm mama.
    I can’t even count how many times I’ve been up in the mountains where time slows down yet the world around me keeps spinning crazy...that’s something!:thumbsup:
    Thanks again for your words of wisdom!:)

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mountain therapy!...preach it, dirt dweller and survivor of human rearing! I’ll have what she’s having... :geek: